Sportscene watch 2015/16

Makes me long for the days when STV had its own 1st Division highlights show, Scotsport First. Decent watch on a Sunday morning

Even with big fat DJ or mumble mouth motherfcuker Gordon McQueen's excruciating punditary?! :o

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sky were able to show the Livi/Hearts action on Sky Sports News, so thought it was a bit odd it wasn't on Sportscene.

SKY clearly have a lot more money than the BBC so can throw how ever much money they need to an independent contractor to film the game for Sky Sports Express.

Has Sportscene shown more then 2 Championship games highlights this season? Maybe its a contractual reason?

Makes me long for the days when STV had its own 1st Division highlights show, Scotsport First. Decent watch on a Sunday morning

Scotsport First was excellent for what it was.

SKY clearly have a lot more money than the BBC so can throw how ever much money they need to an independent contractor to film the game for Sky Sports Express.

Has Sportscene shown more then 2 Championship games highlights this season? Maybe its a contractual reason?

Scotsport First was excellent for what it was.

Indeed it was. Memory fades though, was it Jim Delahunt and that Spiers bloke?

Indeed it was. Memory fades though, was it Jim Delahunt and that Spiers bloke?

Jim Delahunt and Stuart McKinney(?) were the hosts over the time I watched it.

They used to ask for fans to get in touch so every Saturday evening, as a naive young teenager, I'd send in around 4-5 emails on different teams to see how many got read out. :lol:

Why would they schedule a Sportscene when both Celtic and Rangers didn't play?

Nobody is gonnae watch it

To be fair it wasnt even in the schedules before this afternoons postponment at Firhill

BBC are taking the piss, can you imagine the main network not bothering puting MOTD today as its New Year blah blah

Yeah, I've stopped bothering with Sportscene due to it being a day after the games and already seen the goals etc but was genuinely looking forward to tonight's one after today's games. Dreadful from the BBC to not bother

As we found out during the referendum, the first 'B' in 'BBC' should really be an 'E'.

We bum up the fact BBC, Sky and BT bother showing our games, but the reality is we aren't even as good as 2nd class citizens.

BBC Alba ruin crowds and probably cost clubs money by moving games in December to a time most fans decide is too much and they just watch the tele.

Sportscene show us match highlights when they can be arsed.

I don't know what the BBC give the SPFL annually but I would genuinely tell them to bolt if this is the best they are gonnae do.

The SPFL seem to have the idea that some cash is better then none.

In the interest of having some integrity, I'd tell the Beeb to bolt.

We bum up the fact BBC, Sky and BT bother showing our games, but the reality is we aren't even as good as 2nd class citizens.

BBC Alba ruin crowds and probably cost clubs money by moving games in December to a time most fans decide is too much and they just watch the tele.

Sportscene show us match highlights when they can be arsed.

I don't know what the BBC give the SPFL annually but I would genuinely tell them to bolt if this is the best they are gonnae do.

The SPFL seem to have the idea that some cash is better then none.

In the interest of having some integrity, I'd tell the Beeb to bolt.

So you moan about teams not being given enough coverage on Sportscene, yet also complain when BBC ALBA move a game for live TV coverage? :blink:

So you moan about teams not being given enough coverage on Sportscene, yet also complain when BBC ALBA move a game for live TV coverage? :blink:

I'm not moaning about teams not been given enough coverage on sportscene I'm moaning about the complete lack of interest sportscene has in our top league compared with MOTD in England.

The Alba comment is obvious.

Ask Falkirk and Raith fans why this is a bad idea.

I'm not moaning about teams not been given enough coverage on sportscene I'm moaning about the complete lack of interest sportscene has in our top league compared with MOTD in England.

Comes down to money.

How much do you think BBC Scotland has to spend on Scottish football rights?, I'm pretty sure a few years ago it was reported Alan Hansen earned more as a punter on MOTD in a year than the BBC Scotland sport budget

Comes down to money.

How much do you think BBC Scotland has to spend on Scottish football rights?, I'm pretty sure a few years ago it was reported Alan Hansen earned more as a punter on MOTD in a year than the BBC Scotland sport budget

I get why we allow the Beeb to buy it for peanuts and then take the pish with sub standard coverage.

I'd just like for once someone at the SPFL to grow a pair and tell them it's unacceptable and to do 1.

Comparing Sportscene to MOTD is a bit of a red herring. The production values of both programmes are miles apart due to finance.

Having Championship games on BBC ALBA is a great thing, with the 5:30 kick off times great for both sets of fans attending, as well as the casual viewer who might be watching in the pub. Hopefully it can continue on.

I get why we allow the Beeb to buy it for peanuts and then take the pish with sub standard coverage.

I'd just like for once someone at the SPFL to grow a pair and tell them it's unacceptable and to do 1.

But then you'd be arguing it is unacceptable that the only TV highlights package is on Sky Sports. Can't have it both ways.

And whos going to take the rights and do a better job exactly?

Other than the two with highlights on Alba, the BBC don't even film the non-live games - that's done by STV after the SPL (as-was) thought it was a great idea to award the contract for filming games separately to the one for actually showing them on normal telly.

That's why the BBC don't pay for same-day highlights because the quality of the footage is so poor (i.e. two cameras and replays edited in afterwards). They're also not allowed to have their commentators 'on-site', although it would be pointless anyway because of the lack of replays and no live monitor feed. Of course, such things would be available for games shown live on Sky and BT (and Alba), but it's hardly worth it for one game.

You'll notice it's different for the Scottish Cup where they do control the footage and thus have (at least) three "featured" games with multi-camera OBs and proper as-live commentary.

In England, the Premier League require the terrestrial highlights holder to: 1) show the highlights same-day; and 2) provide OB facilities for two matches (the holder of the "Football First" package, currently Sky, has to do the rest of the day's non-live matches). But then the PL in England aren't incompetent when it comes to marketing the brand.

The SPFL could do worse than asking them for advice when it comes to the next TV contract.

Archived