Sportscene watch 2015/16

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they're paying that amount the budget will be blown out the water and we'll be lucky if the highlights are filmed on an iPhone. Hopefully it will see the end of the iPat though.

As it stands, the only games the BBC "film" are the ones shown on Alba, either as highlights (Premiership) or live (Championship). But even then Alba is, operationally, regarded as a separate entity from "BBC Sport Scotland" so control over the footage is effectively the same.

All other non-live games are filmed by STV, with the footage made available to the BBC. That's why the commentary is dubbed on afterwards.

I would hope the increase being mentioned allows for:

1) Saturday night highlights (plus Sunday, where required)

2) Extended highlights edits with on-site "live" commentary, as with the Scottish Cup

3) Full control over footage

Hopefully the increase in fee is so that folk outside of the UK can watch highlights (and listen to radio coverage) without fannying around with browser extensions.

I certainly hope not.

If overseas rights come as part of a deal then fine; but the BBC shouldn't be paying more just to benefit those who don't actually contribute to its budget. In fact, I'm not sure they're allowed to.

1) Saturday night highlights (plus Sunday, where required)

2) Extended highlights edits with on-site "live" commentary, as with the Scottish Cup

3) Full control over footage

I would like to see a Saturday Programme with Premiership Highlights supplemented with a Sunday Programme with Highlights from the Prem, Champ and the goals from L1 and L2.

I certainly hope not.

If overseas rights come as part of a deal then fine; but the BBC shouldn't be paying more just to benefit those who don't actually contribute to its budget. In fact, I'm not sure they're allowed to.

The BBC can bid for international rights if they want.  In fact, they often do.  It'd be great to see highlights or listen to radio commentary overseas.

The BBC World Service isn't just used by non-domiciled tax status rich folk.  

If they're paying that amount the budget will be blown out the water and we'll be lucky if the highlights are filmed on an iPhone. Hopefully it will see the end of the iPat though.

What about an even bigger iPat Pro?

The BBC can bid for international rights if they want.  In fact, they often do.  It'd be great to see highlights or listen to radio commentary overseas.

The BBC don't actively bid or look for overseas rights as part of a bid for domestic rights. They only ever get the overseas rights if they come as part of the domestic rights - and rightly so. It's absurd to think that UK licence-fee payers should fund rights for non-payers from overseas.

The BBC World Service isn't just used by non-domiciled tax status rich folk.

The World Service is completely different to the domestic BBC. It gets a relatively small amount of licence fee money in addition to advertising revenue and profits from BBC Worldwide. It sometimes benefits from domestic deals that extend to overseas, but otherwise it needs to seek out rights in the same way as other international broadcasters.

@InsideTheSPFL suggests that it will retain a Sunday slot as the BBC would never bid for a Saturday show.

THat's great news because that account on twitter is run by an utter moron, so hopefully he's completely wrong about that like he is about most things he comes out with.

THat's great news because that account on twitter is run by an utter moron, so hopefully he's completely wrong about that like he is about most things he comes out with.

17,000 people follow him. You can fool most of the people most of the time, it would seem. Even although he either posts vague shore or rehashed versions of otherwise widely published news.

According to The Mail, it's £2.8m pa over 4 years.

@InsideTheSPFL suggests that it will retain a Sunday slot as the BBC would never bid for a Saturday show.

You've just used a 14 year old kid in his bedroom as a source of news there...

17,000 people follow him. You can fool most of the people most of the time, it would seem. Even although he either posts vague shore or rehashed versions of otherwise widely published news.

He scours twitters, posts every rumour he reads and then deletes ones that come to nothing, or at least he used to as back in January he had three differing details of O'Hallorans transfer. Hes virtually me if i had a Twitter account.

I would like to see a Saturday Programme with Premiership Highlights supplemented with a Sunday Programme with Highlights from the Prem, Champ and the goals from L1 and L2.

They can't be arsed showing L1 & L2 league tables when I've watched the current horror show, so I suspect actual footage highly unlikely.

So to Recap, Next Season's SPFL TV rights and sponsorship:

- £20m~ for Scottish Premiership matches on BT/Sky
- £2m for 13 Scottish League Cup matches on BT
- £2.8m for Sportscene and Sportsound from BBC Scotland
- £2m from Ladbrokes for naming rights

Plus Foreign TV Rights and League Cup Sponsorship from Utilita and other minor sponsorships

That's a minimum £24.8m for the SPFL Prize Pot which was a mere £17.5m in 2013-14.

And at least £2m for League Cup Prize Money.

So to Recap, Next Season's SPFL TV rights and sponsorship:

- £20m~ for Scottish Premiership matches on BT/Sky

- £2m for 13 Scottish League Cup matches on BT

- £2.8m for Sportscene and Sportsound from BBC Scotland

- £2m from Ladbrokes for naming rights

Plus Foreign TV Rights and League Cup Sponsorship from Utilita and other minor sponsorships

That's a minimum £24.8m for the SPFL Prize Pot which was a mere £17.5m in 2013-14.

And at least £2m for League Cup Prize Money.

Doubt it. Cockwomble will have negotiated himself a payrise, and there will be at least £20m used to promote the OF.

Topping was wanting "£3M to £4M" - but if they've got £2.8M that's still a 6-figure sum more than I was expecting. My prediction was for slightly over £2M.

I'm not sure that people will be shouting from the rooftops about overall success in commercial terms, though. They have grown the league TV deal by "25%" from the existing £15M (no exact amount has been confirmed AFAICS)... but that is comparing with a figure first negotiated almost a decade before, during which time the number of games included in the deal had been gradually increased from the original 60 games, and now includes playoffs.

They have got a league naming rights sponsor... but only after several seasons without one, plus paying £2M when Clydesdale Bank and Irn Bru used to pay £3M between them.

When the true nature of the "Chinese" (actually whole world) deal was revealed it seemed remarkably modest, IIRC.

They have doubled the League Cup TV deal from £1M to £2M... but in tandem with increasing the number of televised games from 4 to 13. There has not been a proper rights sponsor for years - only Utilita taking SFs-Final last year, then apparently paying a small figure this year as 'presenting partners'.

So they have made progress from a previous low point - then gone on to surpass the old level of income by a few million. However, this latter aspect is tempered by them putting ever more matches on TV, which isn't quite the same as actually negotiating a better price for the same number.

This new BBC deal would represent the first new deal that can genuinely be hailed, IMO.

Archived