Sportscene watch 2015/16

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know it doesn't apply to yesterday, but are BBC Scotland allowed to show highlights on Saturdays, even if they wanted to and had the resources to?

I thought it'd been established that a condition of the Sky-ESPN deal (now Sky-BT) was that the BBC highlights had to come the next day, i.e. Sunday?

And whos going to take the rights and do a better job exactly?

You are completely missing the point.

The BBC have the attitude they can do what they like and we will accept it.

It's not about looking for better, it's about telling them to shape up or ship out.

Barry Hearn if you like had the right idea. Don't put up with this crap with the idea we can't do better.

But what if they "ship out" instead of shaping up? Then you have no terrestrial highlights at all.

It's a totally different dynamic to somewhere like England, where EPL can dictate the terms of their coverage.

Up here BBC are the only viable terrestrial purchaser. If SPFL played hardball, wanting more money or much fancier coverage, the might just say "cheerio". I actually agree with the sentiment, but it could only happen incrementally, IMO.

What are Sportscene's viewing figures, and MotD's?

Comparing Sportscene to MOTD is a bit of a red herring. The production values of both programmes are miles apart due to finance.

Having Championship games on BBC ALBA is a great thing, with the 5:30 kick off times great for both sets of fans attending, as well as the casual viewer who might be watching in the pub. Hopefully it can continue on.

I'm not comparing the quality of MOTD to Sportscene I'm comparing frequency.

After a load of Premiership games you have a MOTD. Where is Sportscene?????

The Alba deal does not work in Winter.

It especially does not work in December.

If you are the kind of fan who likes to watch a game in the pub as opposed to follow your team round the country then you probably won't see what all the fuss is about.

I'm watching the Scottish round-up from Soccer Extra Special on Sky, which is obviously today's equivalent of Goals on Sunday. I'm guessing this is the repeat too, since it's normally on in the morning.

Not much longer than 5 mins but all the goals, and the red cards. This could easily be stretched out to a half hour programme when you add in some punditry, and a wee bit more of the highlights, but the BBC seem to find it unbelievably difficult.

But what if they "ship out" instead of shaping up? Then you have no terrestrial highlights at all.

It's a totally different dynamic to somewhere like England, where EPL can dictate the terms of their coverage.

Up here BBC are the only viable terrestrial purchaser. If SPFL played hardball, wanting more money or much fancier coverage, the might just say "cheerio". I actually agree with the sentiment, but it could only happen incrementally, IMO.

So we put up wi any old shite because we can't do better?

This seems to be turning into blackmail from the Beeb.

It's about time we turned things on its head.

Genuine question for you HJ.

The Premiership has no Sponsor the now.

If Gaz FFC offered them £100 to sponsor it would they accept because £100 is better then nowt?

That's what the Beeb seem to be doing wi the highlights.

Gaz FFC, on 02 Jan 2015 - 18:10, said:

Okay, so what are you proposing that "we" do about the way BBC cover Scottish football?

I'm not comparing the quality of MOTD to Sportscene I'm comparing frequency.

After a load of Premiership games you have a MOTD. Where is Sportscene?????

The Alba deal does not work in Winter.

It especially does not work in December.

If you are the kind of fan who likes to watch a game in the pub as opposed to follow your team round the country then you probably won't see what all the fuss is about.

:lol:

Way to spectacularly miss my point.

The English Monday night football game isn't traditionally covered by an MOTD. Sportscene airing on a Sunday allows the opportunity for all the weekend's games to be shown, regardless of when they were played. Sportscene have applied common sense this year by having the Friday night game on last(usually) knowing most fans will have seen highlights over the weekend. This year has seen Championship highlights being broadcast, because there is a demand, this could be seen as a progressive step forward.

The BBC ALBA deal does work. It brings coverage to a division that previously had next to none. Some of ALBA's half time features are great, although they are very hit or miss. The deal works all year round as the Championship, traditionally, is a very close battle.

I'm not a fan who watches games in the pub, what I'm meaning is fans who have been at other games(say Thistle v Dundee) can watch the live ALBA game in the pub after their game has finished, which is surely the appeal of a TV deal.

No. But it's also about considering what's achievable, not just mumping 'n girning about how unfair everything is and how we deserve so much better.

Fair enough. By doing what, for example?

Your non-mumping policies so far seem to have been risking no terrestrial highlights at all, by telling BBC to "shape-up or ship-out", and wanting to tell BBC Alba their deal can only applying during X months.

Timeslot-wise, I'll throw another factor in here... depressing as this might be, do more people in Scotland watch MotD than Sportscene? Ergo, would we prefer Sportscene in the 'Football League Show' slot (11:30pm+ or whatever) versus a more hospitable time on Sunday evenings? I wouldn't.

Genuine question for you HJ.

The Premiership has no Sponsor the now.

If Gaz FFC offered them £100 to sponsor it would they accept because £100 is better then nowt?

That's what the Beeb seem to be doing wi the highlights.

Clearly not - that would devalue it. But it would be different if there was no prospect of anyone else offering much above £100 going forward.

Who else other than the BBC are going to provide terrestrial TV highlights? That's part of the issue, surely.

:lol:

Way to spectacularly miss my point.

The English Monday night football game isn't traditionally covered by an MOTD. Sportscene airing on a Sunday allows the opportunity for all the weekend's games to be shown, regardless of when they were played. Sportscene have applied common sense this year by having the Friday night game on last(usually) knowing most fans will have seen highlights over the weekend. This year has seen Championship highlights being broadcast, because there is a demand, this could be seen as a progressive step forward.

The BBC ALBA deal does work. It brings coverage to a division that previously had next to none. Some of ALBA's half time features are great, although they are very hit or miss. The deal works all year round as the Championship, traditionally, is a very close battle.

I'm not a fan who watches games in the pub, what I'm meaning is fans who have been at other games(say Thistle v Dundee) can watch the live ALBA game in the pub after their game has finished, which is surely the appeal of a TV deal.

A really good post actually.

Still say the Alba deal doesn't work in winter for the fans of the teams playing.

It only suits people standing in a pub or their living room.

I know you can't change a TV deal during the season I'm just saying I've spotted the major flaw.

Still a great post you make though.

I know it doesn't apply to yesterday, but are BBC Scotland allowed to show highlights on Saturdays, even if they wanted to and had the resources to?

I thought it'd been established that a condition of the Sky-ESPN deal (now Sky-BT) was that the BBC highlights had to come the next day, i.e. Sunday?

Neither Sky nor ESPN/BT have ever made a "thing" of being the only place to see SP(F)L goals on a Saturday. But even if they did, they can still show them before a potential 10.30pm Sportscene. In other words, the SPFL could offer a Saturday highlights show without affecting their live deals.

If they've any sense, they'll put out a proper tender for the next TV deal. Don't just approach the broadcasters, ask them to table bids. Maybe have two packages with equal 1st/2nd picks*. Plus a Saturday highlights package.

*Unfortunately, one package would need to have all "Old Firm" derbies if The Rangers ever reach the top - Sky don't want 100% of Scottish Football, but at the same time they wouldn't be interested in any deal that didn't give them exclusivity over said fixture.

The English Monday night football game isn't traditionally covered by an MOTD. Sportscene airing on a Sunday allows the opportunity for all the weekend's games to be shown, regardless of when they were played. Sportscene have applied common sense this year by having the Friday night game on last(usually) knowing most fans will have seen highlights over the weekend.

On the other hand, the BBC are prepared to produce two highlights shows on Scottish Cup weekends. I don't think doing the same for the SPFL would cost that much if their rights allowed.

Ergo, would we prefer Sportscene in the 'Football League Show' slot (11:30pm+ or whatever) versus a more hospitable time on Sunday evenings? I wouldn't.

Yes to the Saturday night at that time. Most people on a Saturday night want to see their team play as well as all others, regardless of the time. Whether that is at home or in the pub is irrelevant, they still want to see it and will watch it.

By 10.30pm on a Sunday night, I've given up - its yesterdays news, I've already seen my team's highlights elsewhere and by then I don't give a sh$t about other teams. I've moved on, so I don't watch Sportscene and I haven't for a long time, like most other people. I really don't understand how the decision makers got get that.

The coverage English football gets on the Beebs incredible, MOTD and the FL show are great every week. Loads of clubs from all different divisions getting great coverage. All the FA cup stuff on today/tomorrow too. Must be great being a fan of one of the clubs, only chance any of the diddies get for coverage here is if they are playing one of the OF or an ultra diddie like Bo'ness.

Well, just when nobody was looking, BBC showed the highlights today on the Results show which started at 4.15. Didn't find out until I flicked over from Jeff and saw they were showing the Aberdeen highlights. Press record but it didn't jump back so I missed the Accies game. Nice one BBC, you shower of amateurs. I like to record the Accies stuff and at least I've got the 5-0 game on Alba but it's not HD. Mind you with the rain on the camera lens it probably didn't make much difference.

Who were Dundee Utd playing today? It's just that Sportscene never seemed to bother talking about their performance, even highlighting an incident from the Scottish Cup final 7 months ago during the analysis of this match.

Who were Dundee Utd playing today? It's just that Sportscene never seemed to bother talking about their performance, even highlighting an incident from the Scottish Cup final 7 months ago during the analysis of this match.

At least give us a multiple choice.

Archived