Sportsound Watch

Out of the country on holiday - anyone able to give me the gist of Smith's ramblings this time?

No need to strip titles as Oldco won titles before and after the EBT period.

No appetite, everyone is sick of it and want to move on.

EBTs helped give us the most exciting league ever including Helicopter Sunday

The players may still have signed.

EBTs were legal. (Nothing mentioned on how they were used or tried to be hidden)

He called a QC last night and said there is nothing anyone can do because of LNS

The above looks like he was managing to get across his view but my 8 yo could have communicated better. He's a fucking imbecile.

Chris McCLaughlin again spinning the no appetite line from Scottish Clubs. That's the way the MSM will be going quite clearly.

Just tuned into the podcast. Thought Spiers was bang on Smith was predictably against it he must have known about this in his time with the SFA? McManus rattled on a little about the runners up to EBT Rangers getting the titles/cups but Im not sure that is even the issue with most fans they just want Rangers not to have won them. Towards the end of the podcast was a bit lighter and some very entertaining stories on pre-season by Tam in particular.

Guest JTS98
On 02/07/2017 at 21:51, thesnowman said:

It was Liam McLeod. He rattled off all the stats that show that countries that play a summer schedule have a poor record of reaching the group stages of the champions and europa league, to which Chick Young responded, "So you are for the status quo". :guns

The question someone should have asked was

'How did these countries perform before the qualifiers were mid-summer?'

as this is the pertinent point. We now do much worse than we did when the quaifiers moved. Other countries who have always performed poorly are irrelevant.

I always thought Gordon Smith was one of the most illiterate, brain dead, pundits I'd ever heard when he used to summarise on Sportsound years ago.

When he got a job at the SFA I was dumbfounded.

Hearing him again today I am speechless. I don't think he has said one thing which has made any sense. Absolute idiot of the highest order.

And an absolute arsehole of a guy if you ever meet him in person ......

2 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

And an absolute arsehole of a guy if you ever meet him in person ......

Yes he's a w****r. I used to work in the same place as his wife, the guy is probably one of the most egotistical people I've ever encountered.

I always wonder why they ask these questions to ex rangers players.

"So stevie Thompson (EBT recipient and ex rangers player) should rangers be stripped of titles?"

Then ask Gordon smith, ex rangers player, and chief executive. And a former worker of the SFA.

Why ask these questions to people with connections to old rangers???

You would be as well asking a typical rangers fan in the street as you get the same answer:

On ‎08‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 14:57, G-MAN said:

EBTs helped give us the most exciting league ever including Helicopter Sunday

This was my personal highlight.  The podcast is worth a listen, even if it's just to laugh at the sheer nonsense Smith seems to have convinced himself of.

1 hour ago, higgy129 said:

"So stevie Thompson (EBT recipient and ex rangers player) should rangers be stripped of titles?"

Then ask Gordon smith, ex rangers player, and chief executive. And a former worker of the SFA.

You would be as well asking a typical rangers fan in the street as you get the same answer:

It's consistent with 2003.

So Motherwell...do you want to be relegated or should we leave Falkirk down?

1 hour ago, higgy129 said:

It's ridiculous of course but that's how the Scottish media works, especially the Bigot Broadcasting Corporation. Despite them supposedly having to produce a balanced output you can rest assured the vast majority of the opinion you'll hear from them is from the 'don't strip the titles' lobby leaving the hard of thinking listener to believe the majority of people don't want the titles stripped when the public opinion is undoubtedly the opposite. 

23 hours ago, Gaz FFC said:

It's consistent with 2003.

So Motherwell...do you want to be relegated or should we leave Falkirk down?

Common sense and righteousness prevailed that day. A good day for everyone, really.

On 10/07/2017 at 11:29, Monkey Tennis said:

I've not heard it, but reading these comments from Gordon Smith is as laughable as it's predictable.  A horrible individual.

I listened to it.  It really is horrendous.

He offers absolutely no coherent argument. My two favourites:

'Celtic won the league a few times during the EBT years'

'Rangers have also won the league without EBT's'

Both points completely irrelevant in establishing whether or not cheating took place.

On 10/07/2017 at 10:26, higgy129 said:

I wonder if they will ever ask "So Stevie Thompson, are you expecting a bill from the tax man?"