Sportsound Watch

On 8/26/2018 at 10:41, JTS98 said:

He's a very small sample size (of one) obviously, but he says a game on an artificial pitch has the feel of a fives or sevens game to most players and that the run of the ball makes people think twice about challenges etc. Have to say, from watching games I'd noticed players pulling out of challenges on artificial surfaces before he said that.

watched the killie hearts highlights and was one of the first things i noticed.  the players seem awkward when putting challenges in.  tackles seems slightly off-beat, rhythm.

was just thinking it through and then the killie player got sent off for a sort of weak lunge.  even that looked like it was awfy slow motion.

would be interested to know if more penalties are given on these pitches.

Edited by tirso

17 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Exactly. For years the self same pundits were talking about how poor (for example) the Fir Park pitch was, how we needed better facilities for young players to get involved, that community clubs were the way to go etc. Now they're doing this by using plastic and getting the local community involved with coaches on these pitches they're all rubbish. They've bemoaned the lack of indoor facilities for a while too but now there's Oriam, Ravenscraig and the Michael Woods at Glenrothes no doubt they'll find something in those that they don't like.

genuinely didn't notice it was an artificial pitch at motherwell.   

compared to the killie and accies pitches it's night and day.

i'd keep the pitches if they are like well's but dump them if they're like Rugby park.  

i'd keep the pitches if they are like well's but dump them if they're like Rugby park.  
Oops, meant Somerset Park. Naughty step for me. Either way, grass pitches have uneven bounce - it's not an issue unique to plastic.

The pundits used to slag the Fir Park pitch when it resembled the D Day landing beaches Currently a splendid grass pitch.

3 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
17 minutes ago, tirso said:

Oops, meant Somerset Park. Naughty step for me. Either way, grass pitches have uneven bounce - it's not an issue unique to plastic.

Somerset is grass and our manager has a liking for plastic pitches in the winter, probably wouldn't like them as much if we preferred playing hoofball.

On 25/08/2018 at 12:51, Adam101 said:

Having never actually complained I can't say if your accounts are accurate (I would guess they are) but it seems pretty poor that the state broadcaster seeks no feedback from its audience. I wonder if anyone knows who produces the shows as I have written to a BBC producer before and he was helpful in responding to a complaint. However Sportsound get away with absolute murder seeing as Div is a fairly regular appeared on Tam and Stuarts show perhaps he could be raise the concerns of the pie and Bovril faithful about the state of its show, it would probably be the last show he was invited on but I think just now the complaints are to easy to hide from and the management will keep paying Chick Young, Pat Bonnar, Scott McDonald and the rest of the dribbling morons who can't string a sentence together.

The producer (or one of them at least) of Sportsound is a bloke called Douglas McNeil. He's often namechecked by Richard Gordon - he does the wee audio montages of goals/interviews from previous games etc. Big St Mirren fan and thoroughly decent bloke.

I've often wondered why the podcasts don't feature said sound clips of goals, highlights etc. I'd imagine it to be rights related, in the same way that Sportsound on a Saturday isn't available on iPlayer. 

Am I missing something?

The fir park pitch is grass.

Ashcroft passed it back to Robinson on Saturday (at Somerset not Fir Park as I somehow managed to say) and about 2 yards or so before it got to the keeper it took a wicked bounce (off a divot, presumably) and went off to the side. I was merely pointing out that this sort of thing happens on grass pitches despite the pundits on going on and on about uneven bounce from plastic pitches and their bizarre claims on Saturday that grass pitches were better for passing the ball with a nice roll than artificial pitches. I'm not sure why but someone somewhere seems to think I was meaning that the bobble happened on a plastic pitch.

FWIW, I think most people prefer football on a good grass pitch, but I always think that a good artificial pitch is better than a bad grass pitch (the Barcelona game yesterday is a great example, as was Fir Park a few seasons ago). If every team could afford those massive UV lamps that they have at English grounds (I think it's only Murrayfield, Ibrox, Parkhead and Tynecastle that have them in Scotland) then that would be ideal but most clubs - even in the top flight, which is that the debate is about - can't afford them so the pundits can complain all they want.

2 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Ashcroft passed it back to Robinson on Saturday (at Somerset not Fir Park as I somehow managed to say) and about 2 yards or so before it got to the keeper it took a wicked bounce (off a divot, presumably) and went off to the side. I was merely pointing out that this sort of thing happens on grass pitches despite the pundits on going on and on about uneven bounce from plastic pitches and their bizarre claims on Saturday that grass pitches were better for passing the ball with a nice roll than artificial pitches. I'm not sure why but someone somewhere seems to think I was meaning that the bobble happened on a plastic pitch.

FWIW, I think most people prefer football on a good grass pitch, but I always think that a good artificial pitch is better than a bad grass pitch (the Barcelona game yesterday is a great example, as was Fir Park a few seasons ago). If every team could afford those massive UV lamps that they have at English grounds (I think it's only Murrayfield, Ibrox, Parkhead and Tynecastle that have them in Scotland) then that would be ideal but most clubs - even in the top flight, which is that the debate is about - can't afford them so the pundits can complain all they want.

Aberdeen have them as well, I think Dundee United might have them as well but usually clubs here have some just for the penalty box, when I was at Newcastle they had the entire pitch covered in them giving even growth all throughout the year, I would be suspired if other than Celtic, Ranger or Murrayfield have enough to cover the pitch. But would agree that a game played on a lush grass pitch is something special. I'm not saying you can't get a good surface on astorturf as I was at Spartans new pitch on Friday night and it was birlliant - they are just hard to keep pristine

13 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

sorry aye i just misread your post.

bad grass pitches are dung as well but weirdly for me i'd still rather play on a medium/bad grass pitch than the one at Rugby park for example.  

I can see why clubs have gone down the road with these though (revenue, lack of postponements, community etc).  It's just there seems to be a real variance in the quality.   I don't think Kilmarnock's is upto the standard i'd hope for in our premier league.   Others seem to be much better.

They've got David Currie, Rob Maclean, Steven Thompson and Billy Dodds sitting in a studio watching some coverage or other of Sevco's game. No commentary and no stadium noise - literally just them watching TV and occasionally mentioning what's going on.

Can't imagine they'd be doing that if it were Aberdeen or any other Scottish team playing. 

Just now, The Master said:

They've got David Currie, Rob Maclean, Steven Thompson and Billy Dodds sitting in a studio watching some coverage or other of Sevco's game. No commentary and no stadium noise - literally just them watching TV and occasionally mentioning what's going on.

Can't imagine they'd be doing that if it were Aberdeen or any other Scottish team playing. 

Imagine the smell of the brogues in there.

urgh

They've got David Currie, Rob Maclean, Steven Thompson and Billy Dodds sitting in a studio watching some coverage or other of Sevco's game. No commentary and no stadium noise - literally just them watching TV and occasionally mentioning what's going on, with Chick Young huddled in the back corner with his trousers at his ankles, masturbating furiously.