Sportsound Watch

Michael Stewart is normally good, but let himself down earlier today.

He was commenting on 5 of Celtic’s 8 trebles being won in recent seasons.

Then he mentioned “being glad rangers were around again to offer some much-needed competition”.

What he didn’t mention is that all five of the recent trebles occurred when Sevco were in the top flight.

Just now, tarapoa said:

Michael Stewart is normally good, but let himself down earlier today.

He was commenting on 5 of Celtic’s 8 trebles being won in recent seasons.

Then he mentioned “being glad rangers were around again to offer some much-needed competition”.

What he didn’t mention is that all five of the recent trebles occurred when Sevco were in the top flight.

Noticed that too about competition. Aberdeen were closer to Celtic a few times than Rangers have been

On 03/06/2023 at 20:26, KirkieRR said:

Came out of Hampden quickly to avoid gloating OldFirmers.  Sportsound shocking as usual, especially KMaC and Bonnar. Even Paul Sheerin, presumably there to give the Caley view, was asked about Sellick and Angela Pastor Cogburn. You got the impression there had only been one team playing.

So let me get this straight…

You left Hampden sharp to AVOID gloating OF fans. And THEN  deliberately turned on the radio to listen to Kenny MacIntyre & Pat Bonner??? 🤔 

Don't know where else post this but a massive Get it right round ye Finport to Alan Preston. Just because the conference league was the only option at that precise moment, it doesn't mean you need to vote for it if it's a shite proposal 

Peter Grant giving a mention to ' Kelly of St.Mirren' as a candidate for goalkeeper for team of the year. I presumed he meant Carson but he actually meant Motherwell's Kelly who has been pretty dogshit this season whenever I have seen him.

Edited by gannonball

On 05/06/2023 at 00:19, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

Noticed that too about competition. Aberdeen were closer to Celtic a few times than Rangers have been

I’m completely sure that, if the Rangers hadn’t arrived back in the Premiership, Aberdeen* would have won the league by now. In 2016 Celtic’s crowds were dropping, they’d undoubtedly still have given Neil Lennon another pop as manager, and Aberdeen were turning into a pretty decent side.

*Actually, probably not Aberdeen. But I can totally imagine Celtic - in a world without Sevco - appointing Neil Lennon and, as season tickets fall below 40,000, they’d completely crash, burn and implode. But, Aberdeen would probably panic and resign from the league by mistake or something stupid. Anyway, someone else would have won the league by now. 

Team of the Season if they must do these things - make it trickier by making the pundits choose a player from each club plus manager.

Peter Grant managed three token non-Celtic players in his, and one he wasn’t even sure who he played for.

Thrilling radio/podcast it does not make.

8 hours ago, tarapoa said:

Team of the Season if they must do these things - make it trickier by making the pundits choose a player from each club plus manager.

Peter Grant managed three token non-Celtic players in his, and one he wasn’t even sure who he played for.

Aye and he mentioned St  mirrej GK, Kelly.

23 hours ago, tarapoa said:

Yes, I had the misfortune of catching that while driving (appropriately enough) to the dump on Sunday.

As a set piece of broadcasting, it was almost beautiful in a 'perfect storm' kind of way.

'Team of the Year' type features are staggeringly, bewilderingly pointless and dull at the very best of times.  The genius who then saw fit to put that already dismal format alongside Peter Grant deserves recognition.

And waterboarding.

Jane Lewis

BBC Sport Scotland in Oslo

The visiting fans are a wee bit quiet...

They do burst back into song when Scotland venture forward, but when they're watching their team soak up the pressure it's almost like their holding their breath.                                                                                                    I have an issue with the second last 'their'. I am not in the habit of correcting online spelling or grammar but this is the BBC. 

Edited by Caledonian

3 hours ago, Caledonian said:

Jane Lewis

BBC Sport Scotland in Oslo

The visiting fans are a wee bit quiet...

They do burst back into song when Scotland venture forward, but when they're watching their team soak up the pressure it's almost like their holding their breath.                                                                                                    I have an issue with the second last 'their'. I am not in the habit of correcting online spelling or grammar but this is the BBC. 

Obviously she’s not dictating it or every second word would be “erm”. 

1 hour ago, Pondsman said:

Richard Gordon at his usual professional best last night. Had to fill for 90 minutes during the rain break at Hampden with only the usual pundits to help out. Hardly wavered for a moment himself, and brought each of the pundits in at just the right times, to keep listeners informed and entertained in equal measure. How would Kenny MacIntyre have coped? Doesn't bear thinking about, I'm afraid!

Start blabbering on about the stickies?

Edited by Hoose Rice

1 hour ago, Pondsman said:

Richard Gordon at his usual professional best last night. Had to fill for 90 minutes during the rain break at Hampden with only the usual pundits to help out. Hardly wavered for a moment himself, and brought each of the pundits in at just the right times, to keep listeners informed and entertained in equal measure. How would Kenny MacIntyre have coped? Doesn't bear thinking about, I'm afraid!

90 minute rant about VAR and how good Rangers new signings are, maybe?