Sportsound Watch

20 hours ago, Staggie_93 said:

When the penalty was given at Tannadice I had no idea who It was for until he said “McGrath will step up to take this” just as he was about to take the penalty. That was after about five minutes of the whole debacle with VAR getting involved. 

There are dozens of things to criticise the programme for, but this is the biggest.

I genuinely wonder what sort of training anyone receives.  Surely, the biggest feature of radio broadcasting is the recognition that the audience members are blind to events and need told everything.

I honestly think some of them virtually forget they're speaking to anyone beyond their little half witted punditry team.  

Every time I catch some of the programme, I find myself enraged by having breathless announcements made that are utterly devoid of context, and therefore lack meaning.

23 hours ago, Staggie_93 said:

When the penalty was given at Tannadice I had no idea who It was for until he said “McGrath will step up to take this” just as he was about to take the penalty. That was after about five minutes of the whole debacle with VAR getting involved. 

Every time i have it on there's something like that.  There was a goal last time and Kenny McIntyre didn't say who it was for leaving it up to the person there to fill us in on all the details and I can't remember who or their exact words but they spoke in total generics like 'hes just hit it from outside the box, goalkeeper had no chance' and then they carried on without filling in the blanks 🫠

Stewart was good to begin with. He's a contrarian, but the Scottish fitba media needed that to counter balance the nodding dogs who just agree with each other all the time.

But he's now just shouty and annoying. Partly, I think it's a consequence of having to be on that show, which at times must be incredibly frustrating.

But he should just give it up now. He can't be enjoying it, and he's no longer good to listen to.

2 hours ago, tarapoa said:

Are we now stuck with Bobby Madden for the foreseeable future on this?

My worry exactly. Why bother analysing the football when they can talk about refs and VAR for hours?

7 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

There are dozens of things to criticise the programme for, but this is the biggest.

I genuinely wonder what sort of training anyone receives.  Surely, the biggest feature of radio broadcasting is the recognition that the audience members are blind to events and need told everything.

I honestly think some of them virtually forget they're speaking to anyone beyond their little half witted punditry team.  

Every time I catch some of the programme, I find myself enraged by having breathless announcements made that are utterly devoid of context, and therefore lack meaning.

I reckon the actual journalists on the show (McIntyre excepted) are held to much higher standards than the pundits who seem to just turn up and do the bare minimum.

4 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I reckon the actual journalists on the show (McIntyre excepted) are held to much higher standards than the pundits who seem to just turn up and do the bare minimum.

Does Chick Young get held to high standards?  He's as guilty as any of the ex-players in this respect.

Chick Young's a fanboy, though. And not of St Mirren.

Agree with the Michael Stewart consensus. He was OK at first and then decided to be Angry Man in Local Newspaper. He should go off and be Dougie Henshall's stunt double in Shetland.

All that said, KMac is the sort of tabloid/commercial radio presenter whose USP is to drag down all guests, pundits and contributers to the same Old Firm plankton layer.

The team involved should be mentioned by the second word of the intervention, otherwise a 1 week suspension for the pundit.

The suspensions would accumulate throughout the match. 

38 minutes ago, ropy said:

The team involved should be mentioned by the second word of the intervention, otherwise a 1 week suspension for the pundit.

The suspensions would accumulate throughout the match. 

It’s a reasonable idea, until you realise it would only lead to a full afternoon of Kenny Macintyre waxing lyrical to himself about Rangers.

At least the dreadful interventions keep that down to 3/4 of the afternoon

3 hours ago, KirkieRR said:

Chick Young's a fanboy, though. And not of St Mirren.

Agree with the Michael Stewart consensus. He was OK at first and then decided to be Angry Man in Local Newspaper. He should go off and be Dougie Henshall's stunt double in Shetland.

All that said, KMac is the sort of tabloid/commercial radio presenter whose USP is to drag down all guests, pundits and contributers to the same Old Firm plankton layer.

Stewart’s always been like this. The difference was Richard Gordon would rein him like a benevolent head teacher. I was going to say McIntyre is the supply teacher who can’t control an unruly classroom but that’s not true, he’s the shit-stirring older kid egging everyone on. There seems to have been a conflation over the past few years with people shouting at each other and ‘debate’, not just in this show but right across MSM, and as has been said it’s clearly an editorial choice. Let’s make it more like Twitter, will make great radio, which is fine if your audience is the sort of people who call in the Daily Record Hotline (is that still a thing?). Sad because it used to be a good, if slightly naff, listen.

What did Craig Levein say about Dundee United last week which prompted the weird non-apology just read out on this week's programme that "views expressed by contributors are not the views of the BBC"? 

I was under the impression that literally every statement about Scottish fitba by a pundit on Sportsound (especially "Biscuits") was official BBC policy, so I am glad my misunderstanding has been cleared up.

9 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

What did Craig Levein say about Dundee United last week which prompted the weird non-apology just read out on this week's programme that "views expressed by contributors are not the views of the BBC"? 

I was under the impression that literally every statement about Scottish fitba by a pundit on Sportsound (especially "Biscuits") was official BBC policy, so I am glad my misunderstanding has been cleared up.

He said that he was 'suspicious' Tony Asghar hasn't left United and was still controlling things behind the scenes.

Really is proof of what a set of morons the Sportsound team are that they genuinely believe there's absolutely no issue for Charlie Mulgrew to be draped in another team's colours in the same league a couple of days before a game.

This, 'But aye, who's your big team?' mentality that plagues Scottish football is a not insignificant (nor obviously the main one) reason as to why the OF get away with doing whatever they want tbh.

It'd be nice if Pat Bonner was put out to pasture.

He does not have anything worthwhile to say about anything outside of Celtic, & seems to think Scottish football exists for Celtic. Total waste of license payer's money.

22 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Really is proof of what a set of morons the Sportsound team are that they genuinely believe there's absolutely no issue for Charlie Mulgrew to be draped in another team's colours in the same league a couple of days before a game.

This, 'But aye, who's your big team?' mentality that plagues Scottish football is a not insignificant (nor obviously the main one) reason as to why the OF get away with doing whatever they want tbh.

The comment about 'How much energy did he use'  was priceless. 

9 minutes ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

The comment about 'How much energy did he use'  was priceless. 

That was from Leanne Crichton, wasn't it?

Unreal.