Sportsound Watch

38 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

You should have gone on mate, the more coverage given outwith the Premiership the better.

It would've been a refreshing change tbh. 👍

I admire your optimism that it wouldn’t have been:

Kenny Macintyre: We’re now joined by Queen of the South fan @Monkey Tennis. What did you make of your team’s game today?

MT: Well…

KM: Fantastic, now let’s return to our preview of Rangers’ European game in midweek. 

Edited by The Master

3 minutes ago, The Master said:

I admire your optimism that it wouldn’t have been more than:

Kenny Macintyre: We’re now joined by Queen of the South fan @Monkey Tennis. What did you make of your team’s game today?

KM: Fantastic, now let’s return to our preview of Rangers’ European game in midweek. 

I'm not at all optimistic that it would have been different from that.  

hence the polite refusal.

That and a bit of the Grouch Marx thing.  I wouldn't want to be part of any programme willing to make me a part of it.

21 minutes ago, The Master said:

I admire your optimism that it wouldn’t have been more than:

Equally accurate and amusing. 

19 hours ago, GroundskeeperWillie said:

Open All Mics at one point was a great concept, a kind of radio version of Sky Sports Soccer Saturday.  But now, it's also a painful listen.  Same with how little attention is paid to anything other than the Old Firm (I used to remember when on OAM they would regularly provide goal updates from all the leagues, and although they did round up the latest scores during the first half, McIntyre felt like he was in a mad rush to breeze through them so he could talk more nonsense.

Not just in th econtext of OAM, but it's probably hard for younger listeners to believe that in the old days of just one commentary match, it was never that uncommon for the commentary to feature neither of the OF. Of course, they've always had a big share of the coverage, but it used to generally be the case that the commentary game would be the most interesting game of the weekend. If nothing stood out, you'd generally get whatever OF side was away on a Saturday, but it wasn't the default.

Now we're at the point where there's no point in wondering what the commentary will be. It's actually laughable.

4 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Not just in th econtext of OAM, but it's probably hard for younger listeners to believe that in the old days of just one commentary match, it was never that uncommon for the commentary to feature neither of the OF. Of course, they've always had a big share of the coverage, but it used to generally be the case that the commentary game would be the most interesting game of the weekend. If nothing stood out, you'd generally get whatever OF side was away on a Saturday, but it wasn't the default.

Now we're at the point where there's no point in wondering what the commentary will be. It's actually laughable.

In the old days the commentary started at 3:40.

13 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

They also never used to say what the commentary game was until after kick off. I think the (laughable now) theory was that some folk might not go to the game if the whole thing was live on radio, and if it was known in advance. 

You could usually work it out - either if there was a stand out fixture of the day (which might not have been from the top flight, which younger readers might find amazing) or by listening to the chat from 2pm onwards and listening out for Alistair Alexander or whoever the commentator was likely to be and/or Gordon Smith who tended to be the main summariser.

And get this - Gordon Smith was actually quite good, and the reporters at the games didn't just do one team, they'd go wherever they were sent and so knew a bit about every team in the league. Then your man would phone in on a scratchy landline from Keith or Huntly or Forres and give you a colourful match report and then all the scores from the Highland League.

Its amazing (and very sad) that almost every way in which live sport is covered worldwide is now better - better access, better analysis, better spread of coverage, faster and clearer information, more experimental - except for our own national radio station's main football programme. 

Super post.

It genuinely used to be unmissable, even if you were going to a game!

Bill McAllister was the HL reporter, and he was hilarious. He'd make the dullest draw between Rothes and Clach into a work of poetic beauty in his 2 minute slot, popping in a few topical, even edgy jokes as he went.

Other reporters did have fairly regular haunts; back in the mid to late 80's it was "Over to Bill Moulds at Brockville, where there's been a goal, Bill?" but they were so much more eloquent and knowledgeable about the game as a whole it would make younger listeners (anyone under 35 say) weep.

It wasn't all good back then though. I just handed an old scrapbook of mine to the Falkirk Football Heritage guys, and leafing through it beforehand, it was brutally apparent how little the printed press cared about how a wee team like Falkirk was doing in the Premier Division. (Don't even ask about lower league coverage back then).

No team lines, reports ENTIRELY about Rangers/Celtic/Hearts when they played Falkirk, and nonsense player names. I remember reading one match report the day after a game and the Falkirk scorer was named as Kenny Kennedy.

"Ooh, a new striker! Excellent" I thought, only to find out it was referring to Ken Eadie.

Ian Wood was the worst - a complete tosser of a snob, who would file entire match "reports" about (real example) Graeme Souness falling out with Graham Roberts, or Hearts. Not Graeme Souness falling out with Hearts. Just Hearts, in general.

Edited by Ranaldo Bairn

7 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Sometimes it was even a game from the First Division!

Somehow they've managed to rustle up a second commentary team for today's games, whereas they didn't for the January 2nd fixtures. Wonder what changed between then and now?

Asking Bobby Madden to "explain" the non penalty then stumbling over things that badly I lost track of what he was trying to say while holding back actual tears was quite amusing mind you. 

I used to always listen to Sportsound but afraid I have now given up.  Under McIntryre it's just incredibly predictable, boring and tedious - a tabloid version of what it used to be. 

Probably won't listen again until they get a decent host.......not holding out too much hope on that happening.

1 minute ago, STFU_Donny said:

I used to enjoy Sportsound but it’s getting painful now. Has been shite for a good while tbf.

Agree mate, not at the football today so listening for the first time in a wee while but it's truly atrocious now.