Sportsound Watch

On 14/11/2017 at 12:48, DA Baracus said:

Boyd clearly has it in his head that he needs to play some rabid moron character that says 'outrageous' things to 'get folk talking'. 

What a slobbering cretin.

The thing is, he does have to play that, because he doesn't offer anything else. He obviously wants a career as a pundit but doesn't have much to offer other than giving strong opinions to wind people up. It's tabloid stuff.

Chris Sutton plays a similar role, but Sutton at least can offer some decent opinions when he's not on the wind up. And when he is on the wind up he does it in a relatively jokey way with a smirk on his face. As someone else mentioned, Boyd's delivery is trying too hard and I find him really difficult to listen to.

The real disgrace is why Chick Young is still being employed to do anything, they clearly have no quality control whatsoever. The guy 'retired' a while back but is still the most regular voice on the show and just talks nonsense the entire time. Why is he still there?

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

4 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Football has become two different games now with two different audiences.

You have the TV audience/superstar worship/FIFA players and you have the guys that are actually club supporters that go to matches.  Both provide different attractions for different kinds of people but there really isn't a lot connecting those two worlds any more.  The game at the top level and the bottom level used to be basically the same just a bigger version, now it's two different realms.

I think this is spot-on. My (totally anecdotal) experience is that almost everyone I know that goes to games here (of whatever team) has massively tailed off on watching EPL and CL games over the past couple of years but have maintained their interest in our game. A few years back, it was a regular thing to go to the pub to watch big midweek CL games (and the occasional big EPL game) - but it simply doesn't happen any more. I've never followed English football or had an english team, so it's never something that's really interested me, but to see guys who did buy into the whole thing losing interest has been quite heartening if I'm being honest.

Similarly, the number that I know that have ditched Sky Sports subs was surprising when I was doing the same myself a couple of years back. It's like all the over the top hype, etc is actually a turn-off when you watch a more "normal" version of football.

40 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

The thing is, he does have to play that, because he doesn't offer anything else. He obviously wants a career as a pundit but doesn't have much to offer other than giving strong opinions to wind people up. It's tabloid stuff.

Chris Sutton plays a similar role, but Sutton at least can offer some decent opinions when he's not on the wind up. And when he is on the wind up he does it in a relatively jokey way with a smirk on his face. As someone else mentioned, Boyd's delivery is trying too hard and I find him really difficult to listen to.

The real disgrace is why Chick Young is still being employed to do anything, they clearly have no quality control whatsoever. The guy 'retired' a while back but is still the most regular voice on the show and just talks nonsense the entire time. Why is he still there?

Spot on in every detail.

Radio Scotland's football coverage has become distinctly and, I'd imagine, consciously more tabloidy in nature in the last couple of years.

The inclusion and posturing of Boyd is the best illustration of this.

19 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

He probably knows where a few bodies are buried. Metaphorically speaking. I wouldn't trust him to remember where an actual corpse had been interred.

Edited by nsr

That old p***k Archie Macpherson was slavering pish again tonight, talking down Scottish football and saying it was in decline and crowds were falling. He also said some shite about Scottish football not being used to trophies being won outside of the 'big two', conveniently forgetting teams like St Johnstone, Kilmarnock, Aberdeen, Ross County, St Mirren and Inverness winning a trophy in the last few years, whilst one of the 'big two' won all of zero trophies, unless you count the Challenge Cup, in which case you can then add teams like Raith Rovers, Dundee United, Queen of the South and Livingston to the list of teams outside of the 'big two' who have won a trophy.

14 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

That old p***k Archie Macpherson was slavering pish again tonight, talking down Scottish football and saying it was in decline and crowds were falling. He also said some shite about Scottish football not being used to trophies being won outside of the 'big two', conveniently forgetting teams like St Johnstone, Kilmarnock, Aberdeen, Ross County, St Mirren and Inverness winning a trophy in the last few years, whilst one of the 'big two' won all of zero trophies, unless you count the Challenge Cup, in which case you can then add teams like Raith Rovers, Dundee United, Queen of the South and Livingston to the list of teams outside of the 'big two' who have won a trophy.

McPherson is an old relic who is stuck in the 60s-70s, he had first hand experience of when Scottish football clubs had a relevance in European football.

Like most broadcasters of that generation, he is unwilling or unable to accept that football as a sport has evolved from those heady days.

His views/ opinion of the Scottish football scene bear no relevance to the game as it is played today, also being a journalist/ broadcaster his knowledge of what's happening in the game today is the same as when he started his career, its limited to the old firm as they are the only 2 clubs in Scotland as far as Sportsound are concerned.

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

That old p***k Archie Macpherson was slavering pish again tonight, talking down Scottish football and saying it was in decline and crowds were falling. He also said some shite about Scottish football not being used to trophies being won outside of the 'big two',

It's the fact such blatant falsehoods - whether ill-informed or deliberately deceptive - aren't pounced on by the other pundits and presenter which is scandalous...

Crowds are rising and at high levels historically; cups were unprecedentedly "shared around" until last season.

For Christ's sake Archie!  

Horrendous. He’s an old p***k in this video & it’s from 30 odd years ago.

That hair Dougie! [emoji51]

Whilst I liked Maloney as a player this weeks episode with him and Commons was the equivalent to watching paint dry. Plus why have Commons who turned his back on the national side can commenting on national team matters? Also both ex Celts as Boyd is an ex Ger.

No wonder Mike Stewart wants to ‘give up’. He’s the only one with any clear thinking of the game.

That goodness Ian McCall was on adding his stories and humour. As a jags fan I have a soft spot for him.

Archie..........fucking hell. He's stuck in the 1960's.

He was asked a question once when he was on before about Saints. Basically were they having a period of success because of consistent team selection and low player turnover. 

His answer was about Jock Stein FFS.

I'd like to see Chick Young given a proper send off by Sportsound to be honest. I'm thinking something similar to "helicopter Sunday"..........perhaps "pick up Wednesday" where he's tied to the back of a Ford Ranger and dragged round all 42 league grounds before being dumped outside Ibrox.

Archie McPherson is horrible old man. A really nasty old bigot. Sportsound is the natural home for his extremist, Loyalists views I suppose.

Just listened to Archie on the podcast.

On the topic of no standout Scottish choices for national manager he shows his true colours by saying our game is gash and in decline. ????‍♂️

Great anecdote about Kenny Dal not being scared to stand up to Jock Stein. Something about it happening on many occasions and then something specifically about tea. It's insights like that that forge a career that spans half a century. What a fucking bore.

Is there any other sport where we have this sort of coverage, where we constantly hark back?  When the Scotland rugby team plays they don't get men in their 80s on to say Scottish rugby was better in the 1970s.  

35 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Is there any other sport where we have this sort of coverage, where we constantly hark back?  When the Scotland rugby team plays they don't get men in their 80s on to say Scottish rugby was better in the 1970s.  

84 & 90 were good years for Scotland. 70s not so much.....

17 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

It's the fact such blatant falsehoods - whether ill-informed or deliberately deceptive - aren't pounced on by the other pundits and presenter which is scandalous...

Crowds are rising and at high levels historically; cups were unprecedentedly "shared around" until last season.

That's what annoys me most.

It's bad enough that silly old, prejudice riddled fools who take little real interest, are given a platform at all.

It's worse yet when the nonsense spouted goes unchallenged.  That omission serves to lend it a validity it doesn't actually possess.

The worst recent example was the Souness drivel, as reported on TV.  At least, Tom English tore it to bits on the Radio though.