Sportsound Watch

43 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

For which they rightly got an apology.  

That wasn't part of this dispute at all though.  This is about the BBC having reported arrests.

Not very sincere though.

The dispute was built up over a few years, as I said I don't believe that you can pin it on just one incident.

42 minutes ago, bennett said:

Not very sincere though.

The dispute was built up over a few years, as I said I don't believe that you can pin it on just one incident.

Well the club did effectively pin it on that.

Even if we accept that the latest incident was but a final straw however, it still amounted to a defence of sectarian behaviour, by going on the attack against the media organisation reporting it.

Whether that incident alone provoked the Rangers response, is actually immaterial to that, which is the entire point of the discussion provoked when you asked for evidence of Sevco promoting bigotry.

15 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I don't think anyone claimed the Orange strip was in honour of the Dutch players, did they?

I recall a senior board figure acknowledging at an AGM or something, that commercially, the Orange strip was a huge success, but there were some reservations over it for obvious reasons.

Clearly the Orange strip(s) are all to do with a tiny number of our fans being members of the OO and a large number of our fans being sympathetic to both Ulster and British Unionism.  There is nothing objectionable here as both are entirely justifiable points of view.

8 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Clearly the Orange strip(s) are all to do with a tiny number of our fans being members of the OO and a large number of our fans being sympathetic to both Ulster and British Unionism.  There is nothing objectionable here as both are entirely justifiable points of view.

Purely on the orange order, I think it is completely unjustifiable, how can anyone swear into a society which means you can't even marry a Catholic and must ensure Protestantism is 'protected' These views are old fashioned and quite frankly dangerous. Any club pandering to religious fanatics really ought not to be part of our leagues.

Edited by Adam101

9 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Legitimate points of view for individuals to hold?  Yes.  

Legitimate points of view for a football club to actively promote, especially given connections to the OO which you see here as explicit?  

I caught the last half hour of the show, some of the answers to the questions were really odd.  "Which current player would you like to play alongside?"  Willie Miller and Pat Bonner both waffled for ages without actually naming anyone, it was bizarre.

Why would a club insist on having an Orange strip to pander to the “tiny number” of fans being in the orange order?

14 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I caught the last half hour of the show, some of the answers to the questions were really odd.  "Which current player would you like to play alongside?"  Willie Miller and Pat Bonner both waffled for ages without actually naming anyone, it was bizarre.

I caught the first 20 minutes and had to switch off - not because if was at Tynecastle, there were good points being made by Hearts fans, Locke etc - but because of these two bams above.

They were discussing the stuff at Easter Road - they were both at the match where a bottle was launched at Sinclair - and Miller "couldnt believe that Hibs dont have CCTV good enough to catch this person" and Bonner " I couldnt believe Hibs didnt have CCTV in the area".

If they were moderately professional, moderately interested in their subject, they would know that Hibs (and Hearts) existing CCTV is very good, on a par with anything at any sports ground in Scotland, including Hampden - but it is not perfect.

What both clubs are installing now at huge expense will put them leaps and bounds ahead of anything anyone else has..................but of course, that doesnt feed their uninformed narrative.

Now I wouldnt mind listening to them if they were vaguely informed, but not to even know the subject they are pontificating on is unforgiveable.

And whoever authorises their contracts needs a coconut on the heid.

It always amazes me* that Rangers/Sevco fans will happily defend things like the Orange strips because they have fans in the Orange Order and support Unionism, even claiming that the Orange Order aren't a sectarian organisation but then in the same breath say that folk singing "sad O***** B*****d" in a song is sectarian and as bad as the "sad F***** B*****d" version. So is Orange OK or not OK?

*not amazed

It always amazes me* that Rangers/Sevco fans will happily defend things like the Orange strips because they have fans in the Orange Order and support Unionism, even claiming that the Orange Order aren't a sectarian organisation but then in the same breath say that folk singing "sad ***********" in a song is sectarian and as bad as the "sad ****** b*****d" version. So is Orange OK or not OK?
Apologies for deleting a post related but I misunderstood the first *********** term.

12 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

This clearly has little to do with Sportsound so apologies to all for the diversion, but this needs pursued.

According to Wiki - and please correct me if it's wrong - the Orange Order is "a strict Protestant society (which) does not accept non-Protestants as members unless they convert and adhere to the principles of Orangeism, nor does it accept Protestants married to Catholics".

Are you seriously saying that the choice of strip is a nod to this, which is in turn, somehow acceptable?

To come back to Bennett's initial question, it sounds like the very definition of "promoting sectarianism".

Guest Moomintroll
This clearly has little to do with Sportsound so apologies to all for the diversion, but this needs pursued.
According to Wiki - and please correct me if it's wrong - the Orange Order is "a strict Protestant society (which) does not accept non-Protestants as members unless they convert and adhere to the principles of Orangeism, nor does it accept Protestants married to Catholics".
Are you seriously saying that the choice of strip is a nod to this, which is in turn, somehow acceptable?
To come back to Bennett's initial question, it sounds like the very definition of "promoting sectarianism".
It is, but they will never accept or admit it. Prepare yourself for the whataboutery.

17 hours ago, Public menace said:

What were the problems that had been building with the bbc over the years??

Can you elaborate?

The BBC making a documentary accusing Craig Whyte of being a charlatan with no money.

And then he turned out to be, surprise surprise, a charlatan with no money.

Why would a club insist on having an Orange strip to pander to the “tiny number” of fans being in the orange order?

It's alright, next season's strip will be pandering to the tiny number of fans who are members of the Royal Automobile Club.

Guest Moomintroll
It's alright, next season's strip will be pandering to the tiny number of fans who are members of the Royal Automobile Club.
The RAC you say? Sure they were after The Galtee Mountain Boy so whitaboot theym?

I caught the first 20 minutes and had to switch off - not because if was at Tynecastle, there were good points being made by Hearts fans, Locke etc - but because of these two bams above.
They were discussing the stuff at Easter Road - they were both at the match where a bottle was launched at Sinclair - and Miller "couldnt believe that Hibs dont have CCTV good enough to catch this person" and Bonner " I couldnt believe Hibs didnt have CCTV in the area".
If they were moderately professional, moderately interested in their subject, they would know that Hibs (and Hearts) existing CCTV is very good, on a par with anything at any sports ground in Scotland, including Hampden - but it is not perfect.
What both clubs are installing now at huge expense will put them leaps and bounds ahead of anything anyone else has..................but of course, that doesnt feed their uninformed narrative.
Now I wouldnt mind listening to them if they were vaguely informed, but not to even know the subject they are pontificating on is unforgiveable.
And whoever authorises their contracts needs a coconut on the heid.
Near the end of this programme, while discussing who the panel thought would go through from the 2 semis...Pat Bonner actually asked this of host David Currie..."Do these games go to extra time and penalties David?"

4 hours ago, Adam101 said:

Purely on the orange order, I think it is completely unjustifiable, how can anyone swear into a society which means you can't even marry a Catholic and must ensure Protestantism is 'protected' These views are old fashioned and quite frankly dangerous. Any club pandering to religious fanatics really ought not to be part of our leagues.

There are a few societies that have similar principles but they call themselves religions so it's ok.