Older No voters....

Confidemus

It's important to note, however, that this sort of nostalgia is getting a little long in the tooth. If you're forty years old now, then your first real encounter with politics is Maggie taking away your school milk. The median age is 38.

True - but when you're talking 'older' I was thinking pensioners.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was out tonight with friends of Mrs Root tonight, all older than us (3 in number) and they are all NAW's. One is retired and the other 2 are still working and none of them feel as if they're NAW's for themselves, more for their kids and Scotland in general. One is like me, not totally against the idea but want's to know what we'd be getting with a YES and is sceptical. All of us wanted to know what we'd be getting 'apres' independence and this was a huge stumbling block. You can put it down to fear but I think it's just a case of age leading to cynicism, we've been lied to by politicians longer than the young have.

I was out tonight with friends of Mrs Root tonight, all older than us (3 in number) and they are all NAW's. One is retired and the other 2 are still working and none of them feel as if they're NAW's for themselves, more for their kids and Scotland in general. One is like me, not totally against the idea but want's to know what we'd be getting with a YES and is sceptical. All of us wanted to know what we'd be getting 'apres' independence and this was a huge stumbling block. You can put it down to fear but I think it's just a case of age leading to cynicism, we've been lied to by politicians longer than the young have.

So just a bunch of selfish, spineless, shitbags then? good for you. Any idea of what you'll be getting after a No vote?

The YouGov poll had Yes ahead in all age groups, except 60+ where No had almost twice as many votes! Obviously this is a subsample, and the vote was very tight in the other age groups (51-49 in a couple) but could it be that the 60+ group swing the vote?

One point made today was that if this is the case and there's a close No vote with 60+ heavily no, then in twenty years time there could be a consensus for independence, assuming that people continue supportin independence. Maybe when we get old we all become No voters.

The YouGov poll had Yes ahead in all age groups, except 60+ where No had almost twice as many votes! Obviously this is a subsample, and the vote was very tight in the other age groups (51-49 in a couple) but could it be that the 60+ group swing the vote?

One point made today was that if this is the case and there's a close No vote with 60+ heavily no, then in twenty years time there could be a consensus for independence, assuming that people continue supportin independence. Maybe when we get old we all become No voters.

No we don't, we can work the internet.

Terrible, ridiculous excuse. It's like the "I don't vote because all politicians are the same excuse". They're not, but it's easier than "I don't because I can't be arsed engaging in the process but I'll still moan when politicians do things I don't like".

So just a bunch of selfish, spineless, shitbags then? good for you. Any idea of what you'll be getting after a No vote?

Do you feel better for getting that off your chest ? People disagree with you so its OK to verbally abuse them. Yes, all of a sudden I feel the need now to justify what we'll be getting after a NO vote. :1eye

Terrible, ridiculous excuse. It's like the "I don't vote because all politicians are the same excuse". They're not, but it's easier than "I don't because I can't be arsed engaging in the process but I'll still moan when politicians do things I don't like".

We've danced this dance before GD. I've offered up a reason why some oldies MIGHT be more inclined to vote NO, you disagree with it. Its an opinion, it looks like whatever a NO voter says on here they're wrong. Are you in the belief that the oldies (or NO voters in general) are just "selfish, spineless shitbags" then ? I know it keeps thing nice and simple if there's just goodies and baddies but life's generally not like that and comes across as an infantile and unrealistic stance.

Whether people like it or not and which ever way this vote is going to go, its like that there is going to be a 40-49% minority that aren't going to be happy, neither side are what I would exactly describe as extremist so all the talk of in the event of a YES vote all NAW voters should sod off to England is childish ranting (this was the first example that I thought of on either side). We'e all going to have to reconcile whichever way it goes. Before I'm accused of 'shiteing' it, because the polls seem to be narrowing, I've said as much before, some of you guys need to calm down, life's going to go on regardless of the vote.

Do you feel better for getting that off your chest ? People disagree with you so its OK to verbally abuse them. Yes, all of a sudden I feel the need now to justify what we'll be getting after a NO vote. :1eye

We've danced this dance before GD. I've offered up a reason why some oldies MIGHT be more inclined to vote NO, you disagree with it. Its an opinion, it looks like whatever a NO voter says on here they're wrong. Are you in the belief that the oldies (or NO voters in general) are just "selfish, spineless shitbags" then ? I know it keeps thing nice and simple if there's just goodies and baddies but life's generally not like that and comes across as an infantile and unrealistic stance.

Partly that and partly because a lot of them predominantly get their info from the biased msm.

They obviously have a different mindset if they are the only ones in favour of it.

See the line about none of them feel as if they're naws for themselves, it's for their kids and Scotland?

There's one of two reasons for that.

1) They haven't looked at all the available facts. They have either believed everything the BBC/ Daily Mail have told them or haven't got off their arses to look for themselves.

2) They're liars. Shiters and liars.

True - but when you're talking 'older' I was thinking pensioners.

The ones who'll generally only be around for a couple of more decades, affecting the younger generations where decisions will affect most of their life, the majority of which want an iScotland if the polls are to be believed.

I think as you get older you generally do get more sceptical.

Some have heard it all before and be let down before. In terms of UK politics if you think of the key dates 1997, 1979, 1974 (and much further back) - where big change did happen - ultimately the governing party lost the trust of the people.

That's a difficult hurdle to get over.

Whether people like it or not and which ever way this vote is going to go, its like that there is going to be a 40-49% minority that aren't going to be happy, neither side are what I would exactly describe as extremist so all the talk of in the event of a YES vote all NAW voters should sod off to England is childish ranting (this was the first example that I thought of on either side). We'e all going to have to reconcile whichever way it goes. Before I'm accused of 'shiteing' it, because the polls seem to be narrowing, I've said as much before, some of you guys need to calm down, life's going to go on regardless of the vote.

Yes of course, the generation that have taken more out of this country than any previous generation are doing it for their kids. Funnily enough this was exactly the reason my Mother gave me for her No vote and I called bullshit on her. I think selfish is fair description of that generation, and not only in regards to this vote.

The only argument I've heard from the older naws is ,me me me, the respect levels for their opinions is now zero in my head,this is not strangers, this is those that are closest to me, my dogs have more of a clue than these unthinking selfish sheep.

The only argument I've heard from the older naws is ,me me me, the respect levels for their opinions is now zero in my head,this is not strangers, this is those that are closest to me, my dogs have more of a clue than these unthinking selfish sheep.

So, so, SO much this.

Anytime you see an older person discuss it (that's if they're even willing to discuss it*) it's always for extremely self centred reasons. As far as they're concerned, they're looking after their lot for the next 20 years and to hell with the next 20 generations.

*On the bracketed point, I shall await the usual "but.. but.. confrontational Yes supporters" pish.

Bit unfair to tar all pensioners with the same brush. I know a few older voters who are voting Yes. Although, I'd imagine this age group is the least likely to change their vote, no matter what information is put before them. They are also probably the group who are most likely to be swayed by what the newspapers say.

Bit unfair to tar all pensioners with the same brush. I know a few older voters who are voting Yes. Although, I'd imagine this age group is the least likely to change their vote, no matter what information is put before them. They are also probably the group who are most likely to be swayed by what the newspapers say.

I did say the old naws, there are plenty of old ones that know the score.

How can anyone come out and say exactly what is going to happen after independence (or the status quo)? It's not possible. It's like you're deliberately painting yourself into that corner as an excuse. It's a little shallow imho.

FWIW, I personally don't consider all 'oldies' to be in the 'SSS' category. I believe many to be victims of MSM mis-information, compounded by their inability and lack of access with and to the internet. I am in fact extremely patient and helpful when I encounter this and will endeavor to supply them with hard copy info that I print (at my own expence) from the like of WOS etc.

I'm a doorstep canvasser and will return to doors with large type format info, highlighting sections of particular concern to the individual. I think the imbalanced reportage from the MSM has been scandalous and has succeeded in causing many of our elderly to feel absolutely terrified by the prospect of a Yes vote. The official BT campaign have been more than complicit in perpetuating this fear and I feel a great sympathy for the plight of 'the misinformed generation'. Both my own parents belong in this group and it's been my discussions with them in fact, that have led me to customise and fine tune my doorstep approach/technique.

This group crave and need information and I try to provide it with calm reasoning. Your group, just need a good slap.

Archived