Psychedelic/shoegaze/trip-hop

Smurph

I'm struggling to define all this in one category and it covers so much, but the general neo-psychedelic/shoegaze/spacey/trip-hop genres are definitely among my favourites and there didn't seem to be a thread to cover any of this.

I'm trying to get into a bit more, so I'm going to list some of my favourite bands who fall into this collection of genres and hopefully people can help out and recommend some more bands, and hopefully get into some others themselves.

The Brian Jonestown Massacre are probably my favourite band and I don't think that will change. The sheer array of music they create it sensatinoal. The Dandy Warhols earlier stuff is truly fantastic too. I recently started listening to Wooden Shjips who sound quite similar and are very good. I also like Cocteau Twins, Echo and the Bunnymen, Sneaker Pimps, Spacemen 3/Spiritualized, My Bloody Valentine, Massive Attack/Tricky, Portishead, DJ Shadow, How to Destroy Angels, Ringo Deathstarr, Animal Collective, Gong... stuff like that.

If you like Spacemen 3 / Spiritualized, you should get hold of White Noise Sound's album (they've only released one, afaik). Came out a couple of years ago and was produced by Pete Kember from Spacemen 3. Cracking album - you can clearly hear the debt to Spacemen 3, but also to My Bloody Valentine & Black Rebel Motorcycle Club.

Moon Duo, a side-project of Wooden Shjips, are also worth a listen, although I can get a bit too much of both sometimes.

Give Grumbling Fur a bash - a collaboration between Alexander Tucker (whose solo stuff is also terrific) and Daniel O'Sullivan who is in a number of other bands, their album from last year "Glynnaestra" is great, and new album "Preternaturals" is also sounding good.

Also worth trying out most things on the TriAngle label, in particular Forest Swords' album from last year "Engravings" was great and definitely in the lineage of people like DJ Shadow.

They have some great other releases, my favourites being by Vessel, Holy Other and the ridiculously named oOoOO (don't let that put you off!).

Apart from the obvious Spacemen/Sonic Boom/Spiritualized/Spectrum

The Telescopes, Chapterhouse, Slowdive, Ride, early-Lush, Pale Saints, Ultra Vivid Scene, Loop, Levitation, early Boo Radleys,

CURVE (most underrated band at the time)

The early Funkadelic albums are all essential - Funkadelic, Free Your Mind And Your Ass Will Follow, Maggot Brain and Osmium (as Parliament) are all great psychedelic rock becomes funk albums.

Much of the subsequent Funkadelic and Parliament discography could be described as psychedelic in various ways, but those early albums are a heady brew and all fucking magic.

Suuns are worth a listen, have a couple of albums out, first one Zeroes QC is my personal preference.

saw suuns support the besnard lakes and thought they were tremendous. Didn't follow up with an album purchase. Daft! Will remedy now.

Archived