Arbroath v Montrose

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I shall make further comment on team/ tactics (I'm sure you all can't wait for my in depth analysis :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ) when I have suitably sobered up, but it looked an evenish game at times where we took our chances and Montrose didn't for the most part.... I think we have 3/4 players who were a level above the game and they managed to do what was required to get us the 3 points..... things are beginning to look very good for us in, comparison to the quality of teams we've come up against we seem to have a bit more to our game :)

a bit churlish I think, we were very good today, if any of us had been offered a 3-1 scoreline before kick-off, we would have all taken it

Of course I would but we could have really improved our goal difference with some clinical finishing. The.minks were really a poor side imo and we're there for the taking.

Well a decent entertaining local derby which wasn't spolied by the high wind blowing south to north along the pitch. The game started fairly evenly with both sides missing good chances early and it could have been 1-1 after 10 minutes. Both sides look like they want to play good, attacking football along the ground rather than the ususal 'hoof it' style of this league.

Once Arbroath had the first goal through Bobby Linn it was always going to be an uphill struggle for Montrose. The goal gave the Licthies confidence and knocked it out of the Gable Endies. A second goal was always on the cards as Arbroath kept pressing and it was no surprise that they went in at half time 2-0 up after Buchan's goal. Not good that the Arbroath keeper had to go off just before half time after 2 very hard late challenges. This was poosibly a sign of things to come as Montrose's frustrations led to quite a few poorly timed dodgy tackles. If this game was going to end 11 v 11 I would have been surprised at this stage.

Montrose did as expected and came out for the second half fired up and pushing for a goal to get back into the game. But they couldn't break through the Red Lichties well drilled and disciplined two banks of four, even though they had plenty of pressure and chances at the start. You could sense that the home crowd were getting nervous at 2-0 and were worried that if the visitors could get one they might go on to get another. This nervousness maniftested into frustration with the officials, especially the ref's assistant on the sea side of the stadium. His failure to spot a couple of obvious offsides, especially just before Crawford was injured meant he was the butt of all the vitriol from the Gayfield faithfull by the floodlight on that side of the pitch. Talking of the Gayfield faithfull, it was good to see a decent crowd, but they need to get some new songs. I am all for recycling, but hearing chants from the '60's and '70's in this brave new era of Scottish football is not what we need. No.

On the hour mark, Mr Moore made his second substition and Simon Murray joined the fray. What an inspired subbie he was. Within less than 2 minutes he picked up a clearance in the left wing area and dribbled into the box. He jinked left and then right, fooling the keeper before cooly shooting into the top corner from just 3 yards out. His celebration in front of the home fans showed how much it meant to him. Was he just happy to be on the scoresheet or was this a message to Montrose for letting him go? Either way, the Lichtie crowd were really relieved to have the 3 goal cushion.

The game from then on was really over as a contest, even though Montrose got one back on 82 minutes through Webster, which was due to a mix up between Nicol and Morrison after a left wing cross came in. With all their combined experience you would expect the keeper and the skipper to have an understanding and expect a shout from the stopper if it is his ball.

Seconds from the final whistle Montrose were down to 10 men as O'Kane saw red for a thigh high challenge on young Murray on the touchline. Stupid to get a red but even more stupid to do it on the edge of the pitch in the 90th minute with the game lost. That is 3 games he will miss that his side will really miss him. That said, it was not a surprise that Montrose ended the match without 11 on the pitch.

Montrose have some good players and should have a decent season ahead. I doubt that the suggestions that they will be one of the sides holding their arses as the trap door opens in April will come true, but I don't think on this performance that they are capable of getting out of this division.

Arbroath have got 4 wins out of 4, with only 2 goals conceded and 8 scored. They should be in the mix at the end of the season for either the automatic promotion place or at least play offs.

And by the way, if you lost your keys today, please make yourself known to a steward.

Best performance of the season so far in my opinion , thought Linn ,Whatley and Mcmanus were all very good , in fact the whole team played very well , but I think Hunter was excellent , in fact he and Stewart in midfield are getting better with each game and I would suggest their recent performances in front of the back four is what has made a huge improvement to our defence .

Today we had 4 defenders on the bench, last season we would've killed for 2. The strength in depth we have now is really impressive and I'm really quite optimistic for the season. I know the club record the games so why don't they put highlights up?

Can't complain about that result, sadly. A*****th look a useful side, comfortably won the midfield scrap, and had chances for more. I honestly thought after the 2nd that they would dish out a total buggering. The start of the second half spurt and last ten minutes aside, that was a long protracted kick in the bollocks for the away support with only the introduction of Dey (far too late) to be cheered about. Reality check for all concerned, thankfully we have two weeks to take it on board.

O'Kanes red card was foolish, especially with such a card-happy android in the middle.

Excellent performance and three points for Arbroath,we pretty much dominated the first half and deserved our 2 goal lead.We rode our luck for the first 15 minutes of the second when Montrose hit the post and had a couple of other good efforts but once we got the third goal we ran riot for 10 minutes and could've scored 3 or 4 in that time,a bit annoyed losing that goal at the end but over all things looking good.The team are working there socks off for each other and you can tell there is a good team spirit there, everyone played well.The first couple of times i saw Mcbride playing for Arbroath i must admit i was wondering what he was doing on a football field but he looked good yesterday.As for Montrose they look quite decent going forward but their defence is way to slow to play a high line.

Good crowd and atmosphere with a good bit more Montrose supporters than usual.

Best performance of the season so far in my opinion , thought Linn ,Whatley and Mcmanus were all very good , in fact the whole team played very well , but I think Hunter was excellent , in fact he and Stewart in midfield are getting better with each game and I would suggest their recent performances in front of the back four is what has made a huge improvement to our defence .

Agree with this, I think moving Kev Nicoll into the back line and having Stewart/ Hunter in midfield has been an excellent move. The centre of midfield has far more pace about them, and Nicoll has proved to be very solid in the centre of defence as shown by us conceding 1 goal in 3.5 matches with him in that position. The defence has far more protection, and the back 4 itself is more solid than before which has resulted in us looking fairly comfortable in the last few games :)

Initial impressions are that Mark Whatley is absolutely superb, he just seems to do everything right and I haven't seen a weakness in his game yet. If he plays for the rest of the season the way he has started it, I would fully expect him to pick up a full time club next summer. I didn't think Kevin Buchan did much again (similiar performance to that against QP) but he got a goal which he seems to have a knack of doing, however I think Simon Murray probably did enough in the 30 minutes he got to deserve a start in two weeks. He did a lot of running/ pressing that Buchan doesn't normally do, took his goal superbly and seemed to cause there defence a great deal of problems :)

I have never posted before but felt compelled to after reading todays Scottish Sun. It seems that Allan Moore either doesnt understand the rules of the game or doesnt understand his responsibilities as a manager in relation to local derbies.

He apparently said "Im a bit disappointed with the decision to give Bobby a yellow after his goal".

I was behind the goal and saw it for what it was i.e. a deliberate childish attempt to goad the away support.

I am a middle aged bloke and am well beyond the usual daft rivalries but my attitude went from "Fair play decent goal we probably deserved that". to " What a little s**t that was completely unneccessary ".

If Bobby Linn's behaviour can make an old b****r like me feel and think that then the rules on goal celebrations are entirely justified in attempting to avoid off the pitch trouble.

Well played Arbroath though we really have to get our defence playing with a bit more savvy.

I hope this comment is taken in the spirit it was meant.

I have never posted before but felt compelled to after reading todays Scottish Sun. It seems that Allan Moore either doesnt understand the rules of the game or doesnt understand his responsibilities as a manager in relation to local derbies.

He apparently said "Im a bit disappointed with the decision to give Bobby a yellow after his goal".

I was behind the goal and saw it for what it was i.e. a deliberate childish attempt to goad the away support.

I am a middle aged bloke and am well beyond the usual daft rivalries but my attitude went from "Fair play decent goal we probably deserved that". to " What a little s**t that was completely unneccessary ".

If Bobby Linn's behaviour can make an old b****r like me feel and think that then the rules on goal celebrations are entirely justified in attempting to avoid off the pitch trouble.

Well played Arbroath though we really have to get our defence playing with a bit more savvy.

I wouldn't argue about Bobby's yellow he was a wee bit naughty.

I suppose one mans "goad the away support" is an other mans "it was a bit of fun after scoring a goal", there is much in the world to be upset at, but Bobby Linn's energetic goal celebration should be very low on a very long list, but if your defence continues to be that poor, teams will celebrate many, many goals against you, this season

Well, assuming Bobby Linn realised there was segregation and it was not Lichite fans behind the goal as usual... I'd still say, good on you anyway. We need a bit of edge in these local derbies lest they become too sterile

What I didn't appreciate were the two over-rugged challenges on our keeper, which forced him off. Neither Mo player had a chance of winning either ball. Overall I thought Montrose were Ok.

Excellent to see a half decent turnout from both sets of fans - making it by far the best attended game in the lower two leagues. helps no end with atmosphere and sense of occasion

It has the obvious effect of pissing people off. Derek Adams did a similar thing to us at Dingwall in 1997. Not sure what he was doing yesterday.

looked like he committed the appalling crime of "sucking his thumb, while doing a jig", in fact not near as bad as the awful, personal abuse hurled at Terry Masson in the 1st half by the morons around me, who many claimed to be "Lichties", many who I had never seen before

Archived