Euro 2016 qualifiers

Mr Bairn

Denmark won it in 92 despite failing to even qualify for the tournament! :)

Sure, England are a quarter final type team, I don't disagree with that and did say yesterday I was expecting a quarter final and maybe one round more at a push.

But..... if a team can get that far with a bit of luck they can go on and win it.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greece apart, who are you talking about?

Holland, Spain, Germany, Italy, or perhaps France?

I am not anti-English in any way, but England are a quarter final type team and have been for as long as I can remember. I know they made a semi final when Gazza cried but, in general, that's their place.

You can put the Czechs and Danes in that category too, and probably the Dutch, considering their Eighties had been shite until they won Euro 88.

Anyone can win the Euros; the big nations still dominate but, unlike the World Cup, the wee nations still have a shot if they have a good coach and a strong, united squad.

I've always had the impression that, Euro 96 aside, England don't take the Euros very seriously, which is why their record in the tournament is fairly poor. But then, you get the impression that plenty of their players don't take playing for England very seriously in general.

You don't believe we have the players good enough to win the tournament.

We? I assume, therefore, that you're English rather than just one of those dafties that supports England !?

I remember a time when it was just the Celtic fans that made you shake your head in disbelief that they supported some other country, back then they were the only ones that bleated about conspiracies and agendas as well. How times have changed!

Denmark won it in 92 despite failing to even qualify for the tournament! :)

Sure, England are a quarter final type team, I don't disagree with that and did say yesterday I was expecting a quarter final and maybe one round more at a push.

But..... if a team can get that far with a bit of luck they can go on and win it.

exactly;its a cup competition not a league(where the cream always rises to the top) so having that bit of luck can make the difference.england'll win something sometime,unfortunately

I disagree. I could see the current England team getting out of their group and putting in a big performance to beat a heavy-hitter like Italy in the knock-out stages, but I can't see them doing it three times in a row to win the tournament?

Englands chances rest on their draw. Hard group then hard knockout rounds and their out early. Favourable draw anf they could go far.

With it being in France youd assume theyd give England as hard a time as possible.

It really is the exact same conversation about England every two years. Nothing ever changes, even if they get a favourable draw, and they've had a few over the years. Time to move on.

Wales and the Norn to meet in the final IMO :P

Greece apart, who are you talking about?

Holland, Spain, Germany, Italy, or perhaps France?

I am not anti-English in any way, but England are a quarter final type team and have been for as long as I can remember. I know they made a semi final when Gazza cried but, in general, that's their place.

Made the semis of the1968 Euros (Nations Cup, I think it was called then.) Yugoslavia beat them, IIRC.

How I laughed.

England will get to at least the first knockout round, but that's only because in 4 of the 6 groups, 3 go through. Like others said, it's all about the draw. England will be one of the top seeds this time, so they could potentially get a decent group, unlike the World Cup recently.

I'd expect them to get to the quarter finals, but you could see them in a semi or even a final if they're given a decent draw. Like, say they get a decent group, go through, and then face someone like Northern Ireland in the second round. I'd fully expect them to beat a team like that. Then the quarters, and they face a Wales side who have been very well organised, but haven't really set the competition alight. Again, I'd expect them to get through that too. Suddenly they're in the semis, where they'll face someone like France, and get absolutely cuffed. On penalties of course, just like 2012 against Italy.

I'm actually very interested to see what this Euros throws up. The slightly odd way of qualifying from the groups should throw up some unusual knockout matches, and from there it's anyone's game. Germany will win it though.

man, all this projection about England.

what would be *terrific* would be if they scumbled through their group with a series of boring draws and an unocnvincing 1-0 win against thew poorest side in the group; then came up against NI in round two. The heroic "Woy's Lions" coming up against an inspired Mikey McGovern in goal, and a late winner off the inside of Lafferty's left knee from a corner.

it'll be something like that. Worse England sides than the current one would have dominated the poor, weak group they were drawn in. But that side is nowhere near good enough to make a dent in the Euro finals. Moreover, it's all about mentality. England's players haven't cared enough to win a tournament since around 1996. Many of the gazillionaires in the current squad, I'm sure, see tournaments like this as an interruption to their holidays.

Made the semis of the1968 Euros (Nations Cup, I think it was called then.) Yugoslavia beat them, IIRC.

How I laughed.

I didn't know that one.

So in the history of World Cups and Euro Championships England have won one WC, reached one other WC semi plus two Euro semis with half of those occurring when they were the host nation. Well that's definite grounds for decades of thinking they had a divine right to win them every time.

You can put the Czechs and Danes in that category too, and probably the Dutch, considering their Eighties had been shite until they won Euro 88.

Anyone can win the Euros; the big nations still dominate but, unlike the World Cup, the wee nations still have a shot if they have a good coach and a strong, united squad.

I've always had the impression that, Euro 96 aside, England don't take the Euros very seriously, which is why their record in the tournament is fairly poor. But then, you get the impression that plenty of their players don't take playing for England very seriously in general.

In what category would you put the Czechs and Danes?

The Czechs in 1976 had Nehoda, Viktor, Ondrus, and Panenka in their side certainly no-ones pushovers.

Given that the Czechs reached two European finals I don't think you can write them off that easy.

Make no mistake, Scotland qualifying for the '74 and '78 World cups at their expense were magnificent achievements.

The Danes may have been lucky to get into the tournament but you can't disparage a team that had quality like Scmeichel, Poulsen, Olsen, and Laudrup.

To say the Dutch were poor until 1988 is a bit over the top. Holland had quality players coming through at that time. Gullitt was European player of the year in 1987 and PSV won the European Cup in '87 as well, so the pedigree was there.

I am consistently amazed, and a bit pissed as well, at people writing off players and teams, from a distance.

In what category would you put the Czechs and Danes? The Czechs in 1976 had Nehoda, Viktor, Ondrus, and Panenka in their side certainly no-ones pushovers. Given that the Czechs reached two European finals I don't think you can write them off that easy. Make no mistake, Scotland qualifying for the '74 and '78 World cups at their expense were magnificent achievements. The Danes may have been lucky to get into the tournament but you can't disparage a team that had quality like Scmeichel, Poulsen, Olsen, and Laudrup. To say the Dutch were poor until 1988 is a bit over the top. Holland had quality players coming through at that time. Gullitt was European player of the year in 1987 and PSV won the European Cup in '87 as well, so the pedigree was there. I am consistently amazed, and a bit pissed as well, at people writing off players and teams, from a distance.

Calm down, China. They were just outside of the group of favourites who always win these things. My point, as already mentioned, was that you can't write anyone off at the Euros.

Never said that the Dutch were poor either, just that they had a shite 1980s until Euro 88. Considering Euro 88 was the first tournament they'd qualified for since Euro 80, I don't think even a Dutchman would say the Eighties were a great success until then.

Helps if you read the posts first :P

Yeah, that Harry Kane guy is shit, isn't he?........ :)

The midfield is a bit lacking in depth but I'd disagree they were lacking creativity.

You don't believe we have the players good enough to win the tournament. My question would be 'how good do the players need to be in your opinion?', given teams with a lesser chance than England have won it in the past.

The czech danish and dutch teams that won tournaments had considerably more technically talented players than england tho....just that the English media n pundits like ours were too parochial to realise it......gullit rijkard koemans van basten schmiechal the laudrups etc were way ahead of their english counterparts.....English media likes to scapegoat managers because thats easier than restructuring the entire structure of the game and properly train youth coaches. The fact that the fa has started to realise that will produce results over next decade or two but when guys like vardy can waltz into the squad right now they will, as in almost every other tournament not played in England fall on their arses as soon as they play a top side.....still be nice to see us in same position

Archived