The Arbroath Thread

Think it will be close to first team with them having Europe league so soon after.

On our Facebook it says that it will be the first team as it will provide a warm up for the europa league game!

On our Facebook it says that it will be the first team as it will provide a warm up for the europa league game!

I mind the last time they sent a team to warm up for the qualifiers. Just put the 7 past us that day.
I spoke to Mark Whately about it, he had literally got off a plane from Ibiza the day before and spent the game chasing Barry Robson

2 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I watched Ricky Gomes every week and he was faultless for 95 percent of it I have no desire to see Smith sign over Gomes and wouldn't see it as any sort of improvement if he did

I think that you are perhaps showing a bit too much love for Ricky Gomes there. He was pretty steady most games, but did flap at the ball and contribute to 3 goals that I can think of in the last few games (Annan and Forfar away, plus Elgin at home). Plus his kicking was very often crap. I lost count of the amount of drop kicks he put well into touch because he didn't account for the wind. 

I don't mean to knock him as he was far better than Mutch and Fleming before him, but I think your 95% faultless comment is being overly generous.

I think that you are perhaps showing a bit too much love for Ricky Gomes there. He was pretty steady most games, but did flap at the ball and contribute to 3 goals that I can think of in the last few games (Annan and Forfar away, plus Elgin at home). Plus his kicking was very often crap. I lost count of the amount of drop kicks he put well into touch because he didn't account for the wind. 
I don't mean to knock him as he was far better than Mutch and Fleming before him, but I think your 95% faultless comment is being overly generous.

He didn't give away any goals against Elgin at home? Elgin and Jaseem Sukar both scored screamers.

Again, Annan is very harsh. The only notable mistake was the one against Forfar, had a few flaps that haven't come to anything but you won't get a keeper at this level who doesn't make the odd mistake.

On your last point, blame the weather, not him, every keeper in the league does that because of the wind at Gayfield. His distribution was fine.

Jamie Henry was sent off after collecting a second booking for kicking the ball away while we were losing. Inexcusable, regardless of age.
I'd like to see us look to start next season with the following:
Keeper - Ricky Gomes
Left back- Hammy/ new LB
Centre back - Hammy/ new CB
Centre back - Ricky Little
Right back- Davie Gold
Sitting mid - Tam O'Brien
Sitting mid - Mark Whatley
Freeish role in the middle - Ryan McCord
Left winger - Danny Denholm
Right winger - Bobby Linn
Striker - Stevie Doris
I don't think we can look to play Pongo in the middle as part of a 2 as is massively restricts him and is detrimental in various other ways.

This looks good

3 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

He didn't give away any goals against Elgin at home? Elgin and Jaseem Sukar both scored screamers.

Again, Annan is very harsh. The only notable mistake was the one against Forfar, had a few flaps that haven't come to anything but you won't get a keeper at this level who doesn't make the odd mistake.

On your last point, blame the weather, not him, every keeper in the league does that because of the wind at Gayfield. His distribution was fine.

My mistake. It wasn't Elgin, it was Edinburgh when he should have caught it instead of trying to be a volleyball player. At Annan he made a save that he should have caught and pushed it straight to their incoming striker.

Blame the weather!!? Not that old, old excuse again. Weather happens. Gayfield weather happens more than mist places and can change several times in a game. But the Arbroath keeper plays (or at least warms up and experiences it) 19+ times a season, whereas opposition keepers only get it twice. It is not beyond even the most intellectually challenged to see which way the wind is blowing and realise that if it is going from your left to right strongly, then kicking it close to the right touchline will mean it will catch on the wind and go out.

As I said before, I am not knocking him, just think that your crush on him seems to be clouding your view. 

3 hours ago, Shelldon said:

So Montrose, Ross County, Hibs and Alloa for our league cup group. Not the best, thought group C looked cracking.

So we could see Simon Murray back at Gayfield (again).

Edited by WT Figo

Was hoping we would get DUFC in our group as the last time i seen the Red Lichties play them at Tannadice in a competitive game was in the cup in the early 80's and Frank Kopel was playing for us in all white kit with maroon trim.

But Hibs away on a Saturday would be good.

I'd like to see us look to start next season with the following (up to now only signed players less Gomes):

Keeper - Ricky Gomes (who is David Crawford with now was he at Stenny last year?)

Left back- Hammy

Centre back - Tam O'Brien

Centre back - Ricky Little

Right back- Davie Gold

Wide Left - Danny Denholm

Sitting mid - Mark Whatley

Freeish role in the middle - Ryan McCord

Wide Right - Bobby Linn

Striker - Stevie Doris

Striker - Bryan Prunty/Josh Skelly

My mistake. It wasn't Elgin, it was Edinburgh when he should have caught it instead of trying to be a volleyball player. At Annan he made a save that he should have caught and pushed it straight to their incoming striker.
Blame the weather!!? Not that old, old excuse again. Weather happens. Gayfield weather happens more than mist places and can change several times in a game. But the Arbroath keeper plays (or at least warms up and experiences it) 19+ times a season, whereas opposition keepers only get it twice. It is not beyond even the most intellectually challenged to see which way the wind is blowing and realise that if it is going from your left to right strongly, then kicking it close to the right touchline will mean it will catch on the wind and go out.
As I said before, I am not knocking him, just think that your crush on him seems to be clouding your view. 

You are knocking him. You think he's to blame for a massive 3 goals? No way. Fwiw that would make him 92% faultless considering we conceded 36, so not far off.

I do not have a crush on him.

It's perfectly acceptable to blame the weather when it's bad at Gayfield. Not that I've ever thought there was a problem with his distribution anyway.