The Arbroath Thread

Finn would be a good signing for Arbroath,  busy little attack minded player Dick s kind of person.I genuinely think city are struggling for cash .

I believe he’s been offered a very fair contract which matches his level of ability. Unfortunately as much as I like Finn he certainly seems to think he’s better than he actually is. He was maybe voted as player of the year but in his own words it was because he was the best of a bad bunch in an absolute horror season.

Would be more than happy to keep him but wouldn’t have him holding the club to ransom over more money.

How good were the trialists? And Hester? Sounds like he had a good few shots.

I really hope fraser is there just to make up the numbers and finn graham looks a handy player. Hester was decent and caused the pars defence a lot of problems being fouled numerous times & unlucky not to score. Think it would be a shame to send him out on loan again, maybe not always a 1st team regular but has a lot to offer.

Hester last half hour as a wild card seems like a good idea to me. Also just seems like the kind of guy who’s gonna pop up with goals in the derby games.

His game outside the box in regards to holding it up and bringing others into the game is his main problem. When it comes to sniffing out chances he just has that natural poacher thing about him, always seems to get on the end of things. The goal at station park last year was a great example of him at his best, first to react right out of nowhere and put it away.

If we send him out on loan and sign Fraser instead it would just seem mad to me, we obviously have another striker coming in from somewhere but I’d keep Hester as 1 of the 4.

I am sick to death hearing people complain about Hester not being able to hold up the ball. Do people not realise there are many types of strikers? Target man, defensive forward, shadow striker, advanced striker, poacher etc etc.

Hester is not the sort of striker that is going to hold up the ball, hold off the oppositition challenge and lay the ball off to another player. It is not his strengths so why would you expect him to play like that? Is he a target man? Not a chance!

But he is a fast and direct striker that runs at the defenders or nips in behind them to get a chance to score. He has a great burst of pace that can cause all types of problems for a defence if they are not on their toes.

And thats exactly the sort of striker we need. No point in having the same style of striker and swapping like for like if you are needing something different in a game.

We didn't deserve to lose that we put in enough to at least get a draw. I thought O'Brien didn't look too comfortable in midfield and seemed happier in the second half playing in the back three. But if the manager sticks with a back three again this season, will he be stuck in midfield with Ricky Little in the  middle of the back three? 

For all his faults Hester at least isn't afraid of having a right go at getting a goal. Though he did pretty well tonight and was unlucky not to score.

The ref was a joke. Why he booked McKenna but let Connelly off without even a booking for retaliation against Swankie is puzzling to say the least. At one free kick he marked the place for the ball then took 8 steps (not even yards) and marked the line for the Dunfermline defence. Maybe he is numerically dyslexic, doesn't know the rules or is just plain stupid. 

I am sick to death hearing people complain about Hester not being able to hold up the ball. Do people not realise there are many types of strikers? Target man, defensive forward, shadow striker, advanced striker, poacher etc etc.

Hester is not the sort of striker that is going to hold up the ball, hold off the oppositition challenge and lay the ball off to another player. It is not his strengths so why would you expect him to play like that? Is he a target man? Not a chance!

But he is a fast and direct striker that runs at the defenders or nips in behind them to get a chance to score. He has a great burst of pace that can cause all types of problems for a defence if they are not on their toes.

And thats exactly the sort of striker we need. No point in having the same style of striker and swapping like for like if you are needing something different in a game.

If you want to play upfront, regardless of what kind of striker you are, you have to be able to bring others into the game.

Whether that’s by being a physical target man who wins things, a poacher or somebody that wants to run in behind. It doesn’t matter how you do it but if you’re in a team and you’re playing upfront you need to be able to take the pressure off your team and get them up the park somehow. If you’re playing in a side where it’s going forward and coming right back it’s no use to anyone. I don’t think Hester is that bad at it, but that Dumbarton game at home really showed his weaknesses up and if he wants to be starting every week for us it’s what he needs to try and work on.

1 hour ago, SotesBornalichtie said:

We didn't deserve to lose that we put in enough to at least get a draw. I thought O'Brien didn't look too comfortable in midfield and seemed happier in the second half playing in the back three. But if the manager sticks with a back three again this season, will he be stuck in midfield with Ricky Little in the  middle of the back three? 

For all his faults Hester at least isn't afraid of having a right go at getting a goal. Though he did pretty well tonight and was unlucky not to score.

The ref was a joke. Why he booked McKenna but let Connelly off without even a booking for retaliation against Swankie is puzzling to say the least. At one free kick he marked the place for the ball then took 8 steps (not even yards) and marked the line for the Dunfermline defence. Maybe he is numerically dyslexic, doesn't know the rules or is just plain stupid. 

The ref ignored the multiple fouls on Callum Smith. Seemed like every time he went for a ball he was fouled. Jason Thomson and the right back were particularly guilty 

When he isnt driving a shoulder into someone not even looking for to header the ball or flailing about on the ground looking for a foul after yet another dive.

I thought he did ok yesterday. And on a few occasions took contact without hitting the floor.