The Arbroath Thread

It’s been covered time and time again, if we want to win league 1 I don’t think we can with Hester as our main striker or as one of two strikers, I would imagine he would struggle to hit double figures where we need 18-25 from a striker.

However, he’s improved quite considerably and seems to have the bit between his teeth during this pre season. I would rather have him as an impact player than send him out on loan which I just think would be pointless. 

Arbroath FC are very happy to announce the signing of Lewis Toshney on loan from Dundee United until January.

Lewis (26) is very versatile footballer and can play in defence or midfield.  A product of the Celtic Youth System, Lewis brings a wealth of experience to Gayfield.  Having also played for for Ross County, Cowdenbeath and Raith Rovers as well as loan spells at Kilmarnock and Dundee.  In addition Lewis has also represented Scotland at Under 17, Under 19 and Under 21 level. 

Lewis joined Dundee United from Raith Rovers and in fact it was against Arbroath in the Betfred Cup where Lewis made his Dundee United debut at Gayfield in July 2016.   It was to be a successful debut season at Tannadice for Lewis, however an injury and subsequent surgery ruled him out for the majority of the 2017 / 2018 season.  

As Lewis makes his welcome return we are delighted he will be doing so at Gayfield as we look to continue our great start in the Betfred Cup.

Lewis is expected to be available for tomorrow night's match against Alloa Athletic.

Welcome to Gayfield!

If you would like to sponsor Lewis for the new season please call 07775-779440 or email afc@strathmoreeventservices.co.uk

C’mon the Lichties!

(Lewis pictured in his Dundee United debut against Arbroath at Gayfield)

5b4ca3dc313d0_Lewis-small.thumb.jpg.1f5c56c841ef07da0c30326da6c0c7c1.jpg

Totally out of the blue.

Now I can see ToB maybe being moved into midfield. I think he’ll be a very good player in League 1 and potentially a future permanent signing.

Just need some more forward options and we’re looking strong.

Eta: only 26. Played 10 times last season due to injury but the 2 seasons before he was a permanent fixture in teams going for promotion to the premiership.

30 minutes ago, Gayfield said:

Arbroath FC are very happy to announce the signing of Lewis Toshney on loan from Dundee United until January.

Lewis (26) is very versatile footballer and can play in defence or midfield.  A product of the Celtic Youth System, Lewis brings a wealth of experience to Gayfield.  Having also played for for Ross County, Cowdenbeath and Raith Rovers as well as loan spells at Kilmarnock and Dundee.  In addition Lewis has also represented Scotland at Under 17, Under 19 and Under 21 level. 

Lewis joined Dundee United from Raith Rovers and in fact it was against Arbroath in the Betfred Cup where Lewis made his Dundee United debut at Gayfield in July 2016.   It was to be a successful debut season at Tannadice for Lewis, however an injury and subsequent surgery ruled him out for the majority of the 2017 / 2018 season.  

As Lewis makes his welcome return we are delighted he will be doing so at Gayfield as we look to continue our great start in the Betfred Cup.

Lewis is expected to be available for tomorrow night's match against Alloa Athletic.

Welcome to Gayfield!

If you would like to sponsor Lewis for the new season please call 07775-779440 or email afc@strathmoreeventservices.co.uk

C’mon the Lichties!

(Lewis pictured in his Dundee United debut against Arbroath at Gayfield)

5b4ca3dc313d0_Lewis-small.thumb.jpg.1f5c56c841ef07da0c30326da6c0c7c1.jpg

Obviously sees United and Arbroath swapping places soon.

Good move for both parties. 

On paper this looks like a great signing and quite a coup, would be wary of expecting too much as it looks like he had a serious knee injury.  Would fully expect him to be used in midfield, if we can add another striker in the next few weeks we will be looking very good.

On paper this looks like a great signing and quite a coup, would be wary of expecting too much as it looks like he had a serious knee injury.  Would fully expect him to be used in midfield, if we can add another striker in the next few weeks we will be looking very good.

Agree. We have Doris to come back too, Wallace has been a bit of a disappointment however he still got 18 last season or something. Hester looks like he’s staying which I thinks good, it’ll be good option to have to just throw him on and see what happens.

Also though I think we need another player in the Bobby/DD mould, Gold can play out wide and beat a man but Omar has just lost his pace, another option like that and as you say a striker then it’s looking good. DC is always chopping and changing and usually somehow does a job of keeping everyone happy so hopefully manages that again this year.

Jamieson

Thomson
Little
ToB
Hamilton

Whatley/Graham
Toshney

Linn/Gold
Swankie/McCord/McKenna
Denholm/Kader

Doris/Wallace/Hester

Strong on paper anyway. Also pretty flexible formation wise. Guys that can fill in various roles. Graham looks like a Martin replacement and Toshney a Yule type replacement.

1 minute ago, afc_36_0 said:

Would imagine he will take up scott martin’s role unless he prefers tob there and toshney cb

Expect this to be the case also.

We've now got 5 excellent centre backs for this level, with ToB and Toshney both able to play defensive mid, which is where you'd expect Toshney to fit in.

If we have signed/ are going to sign Finn Graham, I expect that'll be it with two further loan signings coming on board in August.

Delighted to get Toshney in on paper - will only know how good a signing he is in a month or two when we see how he fits into the defensive mid role (if he plays there) or once we know how ToB does if he is the one who steps forward. I strongly expect it'll be Toshney in there.