The Arbroath Thread

2 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

If true, is that not terrible news?  These were players that have apparently been scouted for months and were picked especially to come on trial (according to the video from the club last week).  If 7 of them are away, then that isn't saying much about our scouting...

Well no, it’s 9 players who had agreed to come up to Arbroath to potentially move country and play for a part time wage - there’ll have been plenty of other ones who didn’t fancy it 

Also if they’d signed 4/5 of them then people would moan too - the scouting team wouldn’t be getting compliments anyway that’s for sure - honestly can’t win with some people

The fixtures are decent enough. Get the tougher games out of the way early. The new year fixtures are positive and not a great amount of travel for supporters 

I see the club have announced that all hospitality is now available, except Dundee United. So in other words the United games were never ever going to advertised to supporters and had already been given to sponsors, family etc 

See how this works in the real world 

Our scouting team and Dick and Pink will have a humongous list of players - on that list there will be guys we could bring up on trial, sign on a pre contract or potentially loan 

These will be placed into order and one by one they will try to get their top targets and work their way down as players get picked up by other clubs they will get scored off 

Every player we sign for each position will probably not be in first place on that wanted list as we have seen first hand with the strikers we have been in for who have went elsewhere.

In an ideal world the 9 trialists would all be absolutely brilliant but in the real world they are the best of a whole bunch of guys that were willing to actually come up here and do it. In an ideal world we’d be lining up with Kevin O’Hara, Scott Martin, Scott Robinson, Todorov etc etc and get every single player we wanted but in the real world it does not work like that 

Dick and Pink can spot a good football player - look at some of the teams we’ve assembled the last however many years and some of the players we’ve had. Yes last year was a disaster but we ventured a wee bit outwith our comfort zone and clearly misjudged it. But the 2 of them and the scouting team will be trying to get the best players they can to the club, you’d think they weren’t going by some posts  

9 minutes ago, Anotherlichtie said:

I see the club have announced that all hospitality is now available, except Dundee United. So in other words the United games were never ever going to advertised to supporters and had already been given to sponsors, family etc 

The fixtures were announced at 9am. The club announced that hospitality against United had sold out at lunchtime.

Why the negativity?

15 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

The fixtures were announced at 9am. The club announced that hospitality against United had sold out at lunchtime.

Why the negativity?

They never announced anything about hospitality until lunchtime. They weren’t advertising it as soon as the fixtures were released at 9am

I would hope that the two trialists that remain were the central midfielder that played the first half and the left winger in the second half.

Glad that the club are showing a bit of due diligence and also ruthlessness. We’re not in a position to give guys, who were obviously not up to it, more than one chance. If it’s the two I hope then they showed enough… just, to justify another wee look. However, if they don’t impress enough tomorrow then I’d pack them off too.

Edited by Tattie36

This might sound a bit daft but are we as a club at a point where trialists aren’t any use for us? We are an established championship side now and should have championship quality players. If these guys who are coming in don’t already have a deal at other clubs then surely they aren’t good enough for us. 

I hope that makes sense 

6 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

This might sound a bit daft but are we as a club at a point where trialists aren’t any use for us? We are an established championship side now and should have championship quality players. If these guys who are coming in don’t already have a deal at other clubs then surely they aren’t good enough for us. 

I hope that makes sense 

I absolutely agree 100 percent but I suppose the counter argument is just that we are just exhausting all avenues 

6 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I absolutely agree 100 percent but I suppose the counter argument is just that we are just exhausting all avenues 

I suppose there’s a chance it could find a squad player but I don’t think we will ever find a really good player that fits into our starting 11. Trialists are good for league 2 sides and probably League 1 as well, but the championship not at all IMO

19 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

I hope that makes sense 

I have to say, I'm inclined to agree.  I'm also sceptical about what we get from trialists in friendly games.  Arsene Wenger used to say it took up to a season for a player to get used to a new league and team.  Obviously, that doesn't fit with the "20 minutes and then scrapheap" model our fans seem to want to use, but I don't really see what you can get from a non-competitive game with players they have never really played with before.  

Edited to add, mind when we signed Mikey McKenna?  I'm sure he spent the first six months aimlessly running about and charging down players.  It took a good while for him to become who he is now.  I could be wrong there, but I'm sure it took him a good while to get the best out of him.

Edited by ExiledLichtie

2 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

Problem is I'd expect us to get 50 odd tickets for it, if that....

If your "12 year old ultras" travel and we need to segregate you might need to lower your expectations 😉

43 minutes ago, Anotherlichtie said:

They never announced anything about hospitality until lunchtime. They weren’t advertising it as soon as the fixtures were released at 9am

Since when has anyone had to wait for hospitality to be "announced" before making an enquiry? I'll bet that the phone was ringing by 9:05 from both Lichties & Arabs.

It often looks like you are only moaning for the sake of it.

34 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I have to say, I'm inclined to agree.  I'm also sceptical about what we get from trialists in friendly games.  Arsene Wenger used to say it took up to a season for a player to get used to a new league and team.  Obviously, that doesn't fit with the "20 minutes and then scrapheap" model our fans seem to want to use, but I don't really see what you can get from a non-competitive game with players they have never really played with before.  

Edited to add, mind when we signed Mikey McKenna?  I'm sure he spent the first six months aimlessly running about and charging down players.  It took a good while for him to become who he is now.  I could be wrong there, but I'm sure it took him a good while to get the best out of him.

He scored on his debut and got 4 in 14 at the end of that season, got off to a great start. Hat trick against Ross County in League Cup at start of his first full season. There were a lot of skeptics when he come in but he won people around very quickly.

Also looking into it and he’d played 33 games for Livingston in the Championship long before he played for us. Was a pretty well rounded player by that point, I mean he’s obviously improved but running around and charging down players is still something he does all the time. 😂

I actually remember hearing we were in for him too before he went to Livingston and when I found out he’d went there I remember not even being overly bothered about it. Was at Musselburgh or something beforehand (similar to Stowe in fairness)

ETA - after watching it back it might be the worst hat trick I’ve ever seen mind you 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

Just now, 1320Lichtie said:

He scored on his debut and got 4 in 14 at the end of that season, got off to a great start. Hat trick against Ross County in League Cup at start of his first full season. There were a lot of skeptics when he come in but he won people around very quickly.

Also looking into it and he’d played 33 games for Livingston in the Championship long before he played for us. Was a pretty well rounded player by that point, I mean running around and charging down players is still something he does all the time. 😂

I actually remember hearing we were in for him too before he went to Livingston and when I found out he’d went there I remember not even being overly bothered about it. Was at Musselburgh or something beforehand (similar to Stowe in fairness)

Fair enough, my bad.   In my head, he was a bit of a headless chicken in his first season.  Funny how memory plays tricks! 😂

1 minute ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Fair enough, my bad.   In my head, he was a bit of a headless chicken in his first season.  Funny how memory plays tricks! 😂

Everyone was thinking he was going to get sent off every other game too which was funny. No sure how many reds he has had here but can’t be many

7 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

@Jan Vojáčekseen you lingering here a few times now? Are you awaiting to see some ‘Rusty’ news or discussion or something? Please say it is not so 😂

:lol: It's just a slow week at work. I have a few threads that I keep quite a close eye on because they tend to be quite active and I have a bit of an interest in what's going on. Nothing more sinister than that.