The Arbroath Thread

4 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Actually thought we deserved something from that and played pretty well, looked like a team, got stuck into tackles, got up the park and got balls into the box - they’re a good team and we could’ve easily won that on another day 

Actually come away from that with plenty of positives

Gold man of the match. McKenna brilliant till he had to go off and McIntosh caused loads of problems 

Completely agree with all of that!  

3 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Completely agree with all of that!  

Turan actually done decent too although thought that was shite subs from Dick

We were doing away just fine and had every chance to win it would have just left it the same 

4 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Turan actually done decent too although thought that was shite subs from Dick

We were doing away just fine and had every chance to win it would have just left it the same 

Aye, I said the same on the match thread.  I was really baffled by the subs today.  We went from having 2 wingers (which worked a lot better than I thought it would, I apologise to everyone I called crazy for suggesting it) to no width at all.  I would have kept one of the wingers on. 

Very little, if anything, between the two teams - Queens seen an opening in our midfield and took their goal well, but that they seldom created any opportunities.

Think a draw would have been a fair result.

Having said that, we need to be winning our home games and 0 points from a potential 9 is troubling.

The new signings are slowly starting to gel and work as a unit -once Hamilton returns and the new signings arrive we should be looking to win games like this.

2 minutes ago, clashcityrocker said:

Very little, if anything, between the two teams - Queens seen an opening in our midfield and took their goal well, but that they seldom created any opportunities.

Think a draw would have been a fair result.

Having said that, we need to be winning our home games and 0 points from a potential 9 is troubling.

The new signings are slowly starting to gel and work as a unit -once Hamilton returns and the new signings arrive we should be looking to win games like this.

So what you are saying is we should wait until October when Hammy is fit then look to win games? 

One key difference today, and the reason I'm not doomscrolling is that we had chances and shots.  Our shooting boots weren't on today, but most of the time last season, our problem was that we just seemed to never ever take any shots.  Today, we had chances and took shots.  So I don't think its just more of the same from last season.

1 minute ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Last 20 League games

2 wins

8 draws

10 losses

11 goals scored in 10 of those games.

Sums it up really

It’s easy to do that though - it’s a different team this season and we’ve played 3 games.

One where we were terrible and completely pumped (by a very good team who will win the league).

One where we were pretty poor and fully deserved to take nothing from the game and one where we have gave as good as we got and were unlucky to come away with nothing (both these games against another good team who will be top 4) 

It is easy to feel pissed off after today because of like how you’ve pointed out, how bad it has been, but in isolation as a performance today and moving forward, I feel much better than I did about us this year than I did 24 hours ago 

Obviously will need to try and start picking up points but it was a very tough first 3 fixtures and even a good Arbroath team could’ve come away on the wrong end of all 3 of them. 

I really hope they’re not too down after that because they’ll pick up points through the season with that level of performance

I am tremendously frustrated with that overall due to what I see as one really poor judgement call has cost us the game. The difference between a 0-0 where we put in that performance, get our first point of the season, get some confidence in us and look to push on and losing 1-0 is massive going into two very important games for us.

For 65 minutes I was very impressed with us, in comparison to the last few weeks. We were much better than our two previous league performances. A lot sharper in midfield, gave Queen's a lot less time to play and the shape worked really well. Mikey McKenna, while still not close to where he can be, was better than he has been in recent weeks and it's a real shame he got injured as he looked to be regaining his form in the first 45. I also think Ryan Dow did really well when he came on and took up the same position, he played three or four really good balls for Stowe and others in behind, something no-one else has done so far this season. At this point, the shape is good, the midfield is tighter than it's been in any competitive game and we're creating half chances and it's a fairly even game. I cannot comprehend the decision to then change the shape, change the midfield, get rid of the wide players and go with 2 in the centre of the park and play a striker out wide left :blink: Within three minutes of making the change, a huge gap appears in the centre of the park and a QP midfielder has all the time in the world to play a through ball for the goal. During the first 65 minutes we were cutting these out, we were closing down and we were looking far stronger in the centre of the park and we chucked all of our good work in that time away with this change.

I felt player wise we were much better today than the two previous games, and certainly wouldn't pick any of them out as playing badly. Credit to Dick for putting out a line up that worked well and the right shape for the first 65 minutes - but that credit evaporates and then some when you make those sort of decisions during the 90 minutes.

5 hours ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

Spent a fair amount of time on the Arbroath Archive this week, what an absolutely incredible resource and an even more unbelievable amount of time that must have taken, well done @SimonLichtie.

Decent list of quality players that have played for both of us, and an even bigger list of dross!

Your comments are much appreciated, glad you've enjoying having a look through it :) I would advise you follow us on Twitter and Facebook also ;) 

2 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

I am tremendously frustrated with that overall due to what I see as one really poor judgement call has cost us the game. The difference between a 0-0 where we put in that performance, get our first point of the season, get some confidence in us and look to push on and losing 1-0 is massive going into two very important games for us.

For 65 minutes I was very impressed with us, in comparison to the last few weeks. We were much better than our two previous league performances. A lot sharper in midfield, gave Queen's a lot less time to play and the shape worked really well. Mikey McKenna, while still not close to where he can be, was better than he has been in recent weeks and it's a real shame he got injured as he looked to be regaining his form in the first 45. I also think Ryan Dow did really well when he came on and took up the same position, he played three or four really good balls for Stowe and others in behind, something no-one else has done so far this season. At this point, the shape is good, the midfield is tighter than it's been in any competitive game and we're creating half chances and it's a fairly even game. I cannot comprehend the decision to then change the shape, change the midfield, get rid of the wide players and go with 2 in the centre of the park and play a striker out wide left :blink: Within three minutes of making the change, a huge gap appears in the centre of the park and a QP midfielder has all the time in the world to play a through ball for the goal. During the first 65 minutes we were cutting these out, we were closing down and we were looking far stronger in the centre of the park and we chucked all of our good work in that time away with this change.

I felt player wise we were much better today than the two previous games, and certainly wouldn't pick any of them out as playing badly. Credit to Dick for putting out a line up that worked well and the right shape for the first 65 minutes - but that credit evaporates and then some when you make those sort of decisions during the 90 minutes.

Agree with that - the subs were pish. No idea what the thinking was

1 hour ago, Spider Rico said:

16 and willing & able to do pirouettes with the ball on the goal line 👍 

In a league that’s short of characters, he’s certainly one, but he was at the capers long before he eventually and correctly booked

1 hour ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Last 20 League games

2 wins

8 draws

10 losses

11 goals scored in 10 of those games.

Sums it up really

17 of these games were last season.............

Squad is looking much better this season and the players are slowly starting to gel - losing to United and Queens away were not disasters.

Today we were worthy of at least a point - but Queens seen an opening in midfield and took their chance (one of the very few they had).

Very little between either team today.

I watched Dick's interview, something I very rarely do, and after the first minute I have immediately remembered why I don't watch them and it was swiftly turned off. Quite simply, I disagree with everything that he said in that minute.... The comments on the goal which we lost are incredible in my opinion. We lost the goal because two minutes prior to it he had taken a central midfielder out and gone with 2 instead of 3. Immediately we were overrun and the spare man had all the time in the world to pick the pass. Absolutely nothing to do with concentration, absolutely everything to do with the unnecessary tactical change minutes prior which is completely ignored. The comments regarding the three strikers on the pitch with 15 minutes to go are also absurd, as that was the reason we lost the goal and ultimately lost the game.... 'showing we wanted something out the game' - it cost us the bloody game.

7 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

I watched Dick's interview, something I very rarely do, and after the first minute I have immediately remembered why I don't watch them and it was swiftly turned off. Quite simply, I disagree with everything that he said in that minute.... The comments on the goal which we lost are incredible in my opinion. We lost the goal because two minutes prior to it he had taken a central midfielder out and gone with 2 instead of 3. Immediately we were overrun and the spare man had all the time in the world to pick the pass. Absolutely nothing to do with concentration, absolutely everything to do with the unnecessary tactical change minutes prior which is completely ignored. The comments regarding the three strikers on the pitch with 15 minutes to go are also absurd, as that was the reason we lost the goal and ultimately lost the game.... 'showing we wanted something out the game' - it cost us the bloody game.

Yes 

Thought the very same thing. A minute before Stowe tracked brilliantly, headed a ball away and stopped their full back getting in behind. Looked comfortable in midfield and everyone was digging in and doing their jobs 

After the subs we had McIntosh high up the park wide right. Turan high up the park wide left. Bird upfront. Essentially a 4-3-3. 

Why

2 hours ago, keptie said:

DC in his interview saying we aren't creating chances and seemingly bemused as to why and we look a bit unbalanced, amongst other things.........

Here's me thinking he's the guy meant to be coming up with solutions.....😂