The Arbroath Thread

34 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Thought you found plenty of positives from Saturdays performance? 

Yep, but the major negative is and continues to be the manager.   This is just another nail in the coffin.

Incidentally, for everyone saying Allan wasn't fit enough/quick enough/could only play one position etc, how do you all know this?  He's not been given a chance this season, and was barely given a sniff last season.

5 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Yep, but the major negative is and continues to be the manager.   This is just another nail in the coffin.

Incidentally, for everyone saying Allan wasn't fit enough/quick enough/could only play one position etc, how do you all know this?  He's not been given a chance this season, and was barely given a sniff last season.

Scott Allan's football career is longer than just his time at Gayfield?

25 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Think it’s abundantly clear from just setting eyes on him for more than 30 seconds, that’s coming from me, someone who championed him and said he should be given a chance. It just didn’t work out here.

I don’t think it’s just us either, a team like Queens Park for example. The team everyone’s been banging on about how good they are at playing football on the deck, I don’t think he’d do well there either. They’ve got a whole load of energy and pace all over the park, which you need for this league regardless of how you play. 

It feels like a massive over exaggeration to a pretty reasonable and sensible decision that’s been made by the manager, because he’s not the most popular at the moment. 

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Think it’s abundantly clear from just setting eyes on him for more than 30 seconds, that’s coming from me, someone who championed him and said he should be given a chance. It just didn’t work out here.

I don’t think it’s just us either, a team like Queens Park for example. The team everyone’s been banging on about how good they are at playing football on the deck, I don’t think he’d do well there either. They’ve got a whole load of energy and pace all over the park, which you need for this league regardless of how you play. 

It feels like a massive over exaggeration to a pretty reasonable and sensible decision that’s been made by the manager, because he’s not the most popular at the moment. 

I agree with this. The notion that we could have built a team round SA I just can’t have. A huge disappointment of a signing. If he does anything of note at Larne I’ll eat my hat. 

I thought the game on Saturday would have been the perfect opportunity for Allan to come on. We had plenty of attacking players in the second half but no creativity. 

I thought he looked much sharper this pre season and then plays less than last year. 

2 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

So are we not going to give him a chance this season?  His first pre-season in years (by all accounts), showing up fitter and sharper in pre-season than he was last year, looking perfectly fine when he got his few chances pre-season, but you've seen him play zero league minutes, and wanted him punted?  What exactly have you seen from Slater that shows him to be a better option? He's had more opportunities, and I can't recall a single thing he has done.  What do we do if we start picking up injuries (for example to McKenna)?

I think its just part of a trend.  Our management team are incapable of getting the best out of talented players.  That's what annoys me more than Allan specifically.  

I think it’s pretty obvious that this season is going to be an ugly blood and snotters battle every week.

No place for a player like him I’m afraid. In the grand scheme of things we would all love to be playing football that would suit his style but we’re stuck with this for now.

4 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

I think it’s pretty obvious that this season is going to be an ugly blood and snotters battle every week.

No place for a player like him I’m afraid. In the grand scheme of things we would all love to be playing football that would suit his style but we’re stuck with this for now.

I’m sorry but you’re acting like we witnessed the battle of Bannockburn on Saturday for f**k sake. 😂

10 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

So are we not going to give him a chance this season?  His first pre-season in years (by all accounts), showing up fitter and sharper in pre-season than he was last year, looking perfectly fine when he got his few chances pre-season, but you've seen him play zero league minutes, and wanted him punted?  What exactly have you seen from Slater that shows him to be a better option? He's had more opportunities, and I can't recall a single thing he has done.  What do we do if we start picking up injuries (for example to McKenna)?

I think its just part of a trend.  Our management team are incapable of getting the best out of talented players.  That's what annoys me more than Allan specifically.  

Slater can get around the park much better than Allan. Simple 

And a trend, seriously? Management team incapable of getting the best out of talented players?

They’ve had us punching well above our weight at times and taken guys from decent L2 players to really good championship players. 

I know you don’t like Dick, he’s been doing my nut in for some time too, but you can let that cloud your judgement on this specific situation or his/their overall career here. That is just plainly not true

6 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Been stuck with this since July 22.

We just going to accept another year of it?

3 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Been stuck with this since July 22.

We just going to accept another year of it?

I’ll accept anything that gets results, results are all that matters, could play pretty football all year and get pumped like we did that season hnder Sheerin and that wasn’t any more enjoyable than what last season was.

You trying to tell me you didn’t enjoy the period from January 2022 to May 2022 because we played direct football and fought for second balls to win football matches? 

13 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I’m sorry but you’re acting like we witnessed the battle of Bannockburn on Saturday for f**k sake. 😂

You know fine what I mean. We’re going to have to battle and fight for every goal and every point we get and it won’t be pretty much of the time.

I wasn’t being literal ffs and Saturday was pretty agricultural no frills fitba, nothing wrong with it at all but not the sort of stuff Allan’s cut out for.

27 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I’ll accept anything that gets results, results are all that matters, could play pretty football all year and get pumped like we did that season hnder Sheerin and that wasn’t any more enjoyable than what last season was.

You trying to tell me you didn’t enjoy the period from January 2022 to May 2022 because we played direct football and fought for second balls to win football matches? 

I seem to recall we had Nicky Low playing in the middle of the park and playing a lot of forward passes from midfield. And a competent defensive midfielder to aid him. Yes there were times where we lumped the ball forward, but we also had and used to bring ball forward from the back and utilised the midfield to be creative. 

Last season we had barely any of that and this season looks the same. 

But i did enjoy Jan - May 22 but not as much as July- Dec 21 as the team lost its attacking edge with the loss of Nouble and Dowds and other clubs starting to wisen up.

Also do we even have a team capable of even winning a 3rd ball let alone a 2nd? 

12 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

I seem to recall we had Nicky Low playing in the middle of the park and playing a lot of forward passes from midfield. And a competent defensive midfielder to aid him. Yes there were times where we lumped the ball forward, but we also had and used to bring ball forward from the back and utilised the midfield to be creative. 

Last season we had barely any of that and this season looks the same. 

But i did enjoy Jan - May 22 but not as much as July- Dec 21 as the team lost its attacking edge with the loss of Nouble and Dowds and other clubs starting to wisen up.

Also do we even have a team capable of even winning a 3rd ball let alone a 2nd? 

But it’s not like that never ever happens just now? And aye Nicky Low was so underrated at doing the dirty stuff we really won a watch with him and it’s ashamed it panned out the way it did 

I just mean that Dicks ‘style’ has never changed, you and everyone else myself included hated last year because of the results not purely because of the way we played. Dicks style has always been to play direct to a striker, win second balls, some pace out wide and play in and around the opponents half 

I completely agreed with your assessment of things the other week whenever it was when it made for really bad reading for Dick. But the thing that changed last season for Dick and us was signing players who were completely incapable of playing the way that’s made us successful, (or playing football at all tbh) mainly a striker.

To a lesser extent that’s been the same this season with the lack of legs, fight and physicality in the middle of the park. First time we had that was Saturday past. Allan does not suit us, I don’t think he’d do well at anyone in the league tbh. If he dropped down a level to somewhere he got more time on the ball I’m sure he could be magic but that’s not happening in the Championship. 

The way we set up on Saturday was not new and it has been the way it’s always been, the last 7/8 years or however long Dicks been here. I’m telling you if we’d won that 1-0 which we really could’ve done or if the last year hadn’t been so shite the majority of people would have been happy with that performance because at the end of the day the result is all that matters and is what teams get judged on and will determine how happy or pissed off fans are 

We need to use the freed up cash to sign players who can play and compete in this league

Edited by 1320Lichtie