The Arbroath Thread

4 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

When does loan window close? 

Notice St Johnstone look like they’re wanting rid of Callum Booth, most teams in this league will have a first choice left back, we train in Perth.

Love to see him come back but maybe ambitious 

Wouldn’t mind him, tbf, might be a better option than Mulgrew 

Interesting watch, obviously you can't read too much into highlights, but in my role as founding member of the Turan fan club, while he was on the pitch, he seemed to be involved in every single attacking move.  It looked like we missed a few relatively easy chances with dodgy finishing, hopefully, if we can win a couple of games, our team can build more confidence and will start to finish better. 

I don't want to read too much into it, as its only Morton, and we presumably keep their soul locked in a vault somewhere, but that's two weeks in a row that I've felt positive after the game!

2 hours ago, jagfox said:

From GBR Photographs on FB.

FB_IMG_1693145039670.jpg

I am really pleased for him - he’s erratic and speaks a lot of shite an awful lot but he’s a living Arbroath legend. Can’t ask for any more from an Arbroath team than the last 2 weeks. Yeah some questionable decisions last week but most myself included thought they were questionable before a ball was kicked yesterday. Main thing is we’ve had boys running through brick walls for the team and looking organised the last 2 weeks 

1 hour ago, ecto said:

Wouldn’t mind him, tbf, might be a better option than Mulgrew 

Surely, only 32. Bad injury last year where he’s had to get a couple of operations done and only featured once competitively for St Johnstone the start of this season after a full year of not playing but part time might suit him.  

30 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Interesting watch, obviously you can't read too much into highlights, but in my role as founding member of the Turan fan club, while he was on the pitch, he seemed to be involved in every single attacking move.  It looked like we missed a few relatively easy chances with dodgy finishing, hopefully, if we can win a couple of games, our team can build more confidence and will start to finish better. 

I don't want to read too much into it, as its only Morton, and we presumably keep their soul locked in a vault somewhere, but that's two weeks in a row that I've felt positive after the game!

Turan looked handy. My main criticism of him to start was he wasn’t doing enough to try and make things happen which you’ve got to do if you want to play as an attacking player. His touch and work rate was always good. In hindsight he was probably just a bit reserved and cautious as he’d joined a new team. Also I was absolutely guilty of associating him with others that have gone before and my frustration was with the manager more than the poor guy himself.

Jury still out but I can see something there with him now and feel bad for not giving him more of a chance…

Im no changing my mind on Jacobs though 👀😉 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

Few comments after watching highlights several times -

Jay and Leighton seem to be the perfect strikers for us, they both cause all sorts of problems and are physical, strong and quick. Jay has obviously shown he’s got a wee bit of class and finesse about him with some of his play and finishing but McIntosh has really impressed me, didn’t expect him to be as good as he’s been. At the end on Saturday where he’s taken a touch from it falling out the sky and he’s just bouncing through guys before getting a shot away is absolutely hilarious but very impressive. Also actually fancy him to score goals. 

Gold and McKenna have to be the first 2 names on teamsheet in the midfield - they’ve stepped up and done exactly what has been required. Their energy, work rate and breaking play up and tackling has been spot on. Noticed comments on how McKenna has man marked Alan Power so well on Saturday and the week before against Queens Park he was doing exactly the same on the wee boy Spong, who had actually assisted the winning goal after McKenna had went off. 

Steele seems to be settling in well after a very tough first two games. You’d hope that he could be someone that could be here long term and grow as a player like we’ve seen with others. Got all the attributes to be a JT type player. 

Scott Stewart is a hero. He’s still working away and getting on with it at left back, becoming less noticeable as weeks go on however still would prefer a natural left back in there and him higher up the park. A total pro. 

Tam, Little and Gaston been good the last 3 games and back to their best. Very lucky to have all 3. 

No matter what your thoughts are on DC the players are clearly playing for him and have looked organised and much more like an Arbroath team the last 2 weeks.

I am happy for him and hope we can continue these kind of performances over the next month and pick up some more good results. It is only one win after all but the signs the last 2 weeks are much more positive, it was a very tough start. Ayr United seemed to get a wee bit of what we got from United on Saturday. However we were shown up live on BBC Scotland infront of 5.5k people after coming off a poor season, it must’ve been a very tough one to take. 

I think Gold is one of the players I've been most impressed by in recent months.  It may sound like heresy, but I never rated him all that highly, I just saw him as an expendable utility man who could do a job in an emergency.

The latter half of last season totally changed my view though, and I understand what he gives us!  He can play the sitting role, he keeps his composure, seldom make mistakes, and is versatile enough to play multiple roles, which makes him ideal for the 5 sub age of players being shuffled around.  

I'm not sure why I never appreciated him before, has he always been this good, or has he upped his game in the last year or so?

He took a season or so to settle in but I’ve always said goldie is one of our most underestimated players. I actually thought one of his best seasons was when he played off the striker, great energy. Weirdly being versatile has gone against him getting moved all over the park, he’s literally played every position for us but definitely best in the middle of the park.

14 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

I think he’s happy with what he’s got and is going to roll with it until January 

Fucking insane if that’s the case.

Better hope we get no defensive injuries or suspensions in the next 4 months then - pretty much impossible imo.

Also banking on Hamilton coming back as the player he was. After an injury like that I’ll be surprised if there’s no drop in ability, pace or his commitment to go in for challenges.

Yet again, I hope I’m wrong.

Edited by Tattie36

In the interviews they’ve done with the papers they have said that they are trying to get players in every single day and will be doing that until the end of the window. Won’t just get every player we go in for, clubs might not want to release players until a certain date or at all and also the player might have different options 

Also before Morton the article with McKenna stated that - ‘atleast one more expected before the end of the window’ 

They definitely have been trying and just because there’s no names being bandied about doesn’t mean things will be quiet

‘We’ve been working hard to get in another new face,” added Campbell.

“We’re on it every day and will be right up until the window – if need be.

“But ideally we’d get one in sooner than that and we have a few irons in the fire.” 

Edited by 1320Lichtie