The Arbroath Thread

Really don’t understand why Dundee United are pushing for the Friday for the game over the Saturday? We had our celebrations for Sir Alex Ferguson last year and Gothenburg greats on the Friday afternoon. We played our game on the Saturday and because of the celebration we got a bumper crowd on both occasions. Surely having the celebration on the Friday and game on the Saturday would attract a few more clicks through the gates at tannadice on the Saturday 

3 minutes ago, Moorie said:

Really don’t understand why Dundee United are pushing for the Friday for the game over the Saturday? We had our celebrations for Sir Alex Ferguson last year and Gothenburg greats on the Friday afternoon. We played our game on the Saturday and because of the celebration we got a bumper crowd on both occasions. Surely having the celebration on the Friday and game on the Saturday would attract a few more clicks through the gates at tannadice on the Saturday 

I can understand having a big celebration about Fergie and Gothenburg which as you said you managed without having to change the Saturday game. United on the other hand are having it would seem a weekend of celebrations over a bloody name change a hundred years ago.

You have to wonder about the thought processes of those in power. Ok, if it was a very significant, important anniversary then could kind of understand the request but this is so tin pot it’s unreal.

What next? 50th anniversary of our first floodlights, 20 years since the new toilets were built?

Our 150th anniversary is coming up in 5 years - I think we need to start thinking now of how we can use it to our advantage when it comes. They have set a precedent.

9 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Is this just Dundee United finding a way to do another 'Friday night football' instalment without having to get their visitors to agree (which Arbroath evidently wouldn't have)? 27th October back in 1923 was a Saturday.

😂 

It is fucking daft. If it was a Monday night would they have wanted that? I am not so sure, it does kind of feel like an excuse to get an edge over us again. I know they’re a better team and we’d have been long odds anyway but this obviously makes it harder

1 hour ago, Tattie36 said:

You have to wonder about the thought processes of those in power. Ok, if it was a very significant, important anniversary then could kind of understand the request but this is so tin pot it’s unreal.

What next? 50th anniversary of our first floodlights, 20 years since the new toilets were built?

Our 150th anniversary is coming up in 5 years - I think we need to start thinking now of how we can use it to our advantage when it comes. They have set a precedent.

Arbroath FC founded on 1 July. Not a great date on which to force an advantage. Plus I wouldn’t have the gall to ask. 

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

Is this just Dundee United finding a way to do another 'Friday night football' instalment without having to get their visitors to agree (which Arbroath evidently wouldn't have)? 27th October back in 1923 was a Saturday.

What do you mean "finding a way"? That suggests some hidden agenda. The agenda is: can we move this home game to a Friday please? No one would have given the move a second glance but for the bleating from Arbroath who, if I understand correctly, play work night games as regularly as anyone else in Scottish football. They've got seven weeks' notice. What a nonsense.

United aren't pleading special circumstances, unlike Arbroath.

Just now, keptie said:

What that has to do with United being arseholes I've no clue.

Aresholes for asking for a game to be moved. Give your head a fucking wobble.

6 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

What do you mean "finding a way"? That suggests some hidden agenda. The agenda is: can we move this home game to a Friday please? No one would have given the move a second glance but for the bleating from Arbroath who, if I understand correctly, play work night games as regularly as anyone else in Scottish football. They've got seven weeks' notice. What a nonsense.

United aren't pleading special circumstances, unlike Arbroath.

Aresholes for asking for a game to be moved. Give your head a fucking wobble.

It's s unnecessary inconvenience to supporters for no good reason

1 minute ago, keptie said:

It's s unnecessary inconvenience to supporters for no good reason

Is it though? You're 20 minutes up the road. It's no more inconvenient for Arbroath than it was for United fans a few weeks ago and far less inconvenient than most other weeknight fixtures are for all the other Championship teams who will be asked to travel much further for the televised Friday night games. 

"No good reason": you're going to a game of football, or not. It's exactly the same reason as any other game of football. 

9 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

It's pretty bizarre the take that Arbroath seem to have on this question. No bother changing game times all over the shop to satisfy TV companies and sedentary, armchair viewers but heaven forbid a club might want to make an occasion for fans who actually attend games. 

They have to go along with TV picking midweek dates as its part of the TV deal. They'd be punished financially if they refused.

Clearly this is a different situation.

Would any United fan have cared in the slightest if the game was on a Saturday instead of Friday? I suspect the answer is an overwhelming no, in which case whats the point?

6 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Is it though? You're 20 minutes up the road. It's no more inconvenient for Arbroath than it was for United fans a few weeks ago and far less inconvenient than most other weeknight fixtures are for all the other Championship teams who will be asked to travel much further for the televised Friday night games. 

"No good reason": you're going to a game of football, or not. It's exactly the same reason as any other game of football. 

The game at Gayfield was one of the TV games we had to play on Friday night. We didn't dictate to United they had to play that, unlike United dictating to us to play on Friday night to suit them. There is now a good chance personally that I will have to miss this game for "no good reason", pretty inconvenient.

7 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

It's pretty bizarre the take that Arbroath seem to have on this question. No bother changing game times all over the shop to satisfy TV companies and sedentary, armchair viewers but heaven forbid a club might want to make an occasion for fans who actually attend games. 

Give me one single example of a team in Scotland asking to have a game time/day changed to fit an anniversary. Not even an actual founding centenary but just a name change. I can’t remember anything like this ever.

9 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Nah. TV games are contractual, would be lunacy to complain. Utd want to swap to commemorate the anniversary of a name change. Unheard of.

3 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Give me one single example of a team in Scotland asking to have a game time/day changed to fit an anniversary. Not even an actual founding centenary but just a name change. I can’t remember anything like this ever.

Why? Would it be less of an issue if the exact scenario had happened before? 

United have asked for the game to be moved because they think they can create a bit of an event and encourage a bigger crowd. Why is that a bad thing? And why is it a worse reason than any other reason for moving a game?

To be clear here, I think the SPFL should take into account the view of the away team and that should apply in all cases. But, we don't know what criteria the SPFL use and that's a matter for them. United can only ask the question. Maybe the SPFL thought the objections from Arbroath weren't particularly credible. Having read the Arbroath statement I can see how they might have reached that conclusion.

25 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

They have to go along with TV picking midweek dates as its part of the TV deal. They'd be punished financially if they refused.

Clearly this is a different situation.

Would any United fan have cared in the slightest if the game was on a Saturday instead of Friday? I suspect the answer is an overwhelming no, in which case whats the point?

I think you're missing the point here. With all due respect. United are not arguing that this is necessary. Nobody is arguing that. There is literally no point arguing against that view because no one is expressing that view. The position is (and this seems to be really hard for some folk to get their head around): game's on Saturday, okay cool; game's actually on Friday because we think this might be good, fair enough.

It's only Arbroath who are making this an issue and the issue, apparently, is that part time players shouldn't be asked to play on a work night. That doesn't seem to be a tenable position for a Championship club.

30 minutes ago, keptie said:

The game at Gayfield was one of the TV games we had to play on Friday night. We didn't dictate to United they had to play that, unlike United dictating to us to play on Friday night to suit them. There is now a good chance personally that I will have to miss this game for "no good reason", pretty inconvenient.

Mate, United aren't dictating anything. The SPFL dictated that the Gayfield game was on a Friday night at the request of TV and have dictated that the Tannadice game will be on a Friday night at the request of United. It's a real shame that you won't be able to make the game but, on the plus side, there may be other people who can make the game because it's a Friday rather than a Saturday so it's not all bad. There are lots of people who work in retail, for example, who really struggle with Saturday afternoons. It'll be a boon for them. It's less convenient for me too because I work quite a distance away and I'm a season ticket holder at Tannadice so I've already paid for the game. But that's okay, I'm aware that sometimes games get moved for various reasons and it's not just about me.

3 hours ago, keptie said:

I can understand having a big celebration about Fergie and Gothenburg which as you said you managed without having to change the Saturday game. United on the other hand are having it would seem a weekend of celebrations over a bloody name change a hundred years ago.

Just looking at the Dundee Utd website I thought was a celebration over the weekend. Not just the date change so fixture is on same day as 100th anniversary. The meal is on the 12th of October too. Very tin pot. What would they have done if they were away that day? 

sadly my son shares his Birthday with Dundee United’s name change