The Arbroath Thread

Really good to see a win, although Inverness should never have got 2.  I  think they only had 3 chances the entire match.  However, we looked good going forward, we were playing with more confidence, McKenna in particular was outstanding, and I think it will help getting a win over Inverness, even if its a cup game over what was presumably a weakened team.  Inverness have been a bit of a bogey team, so beating them is not to be underestimated!

3 wins on the bounce and another home game next week 

I feel like this squad we’ve built, with some additions still to come, will be a competitive one that picks up it’s fair share of results over the course of the year 

Let’s hope it pans out that way. Very happy with how things are going and looking right now

Fair play Dick Campbell and the troops

4 goals today against a team we always struggle against, things looking so much better now.

Must admit i thought DC was losing the plot a few weeks back but we are looking like a proper team again.

Enjoyable day at Gayfield hope it continues.

1 minute ago, keptie said:

4 goals today against a team we always struggle against, things looking so much better now.

Must admit i thought DC was losing the plot a few weeks back but we are looking like a proper team again.

Enjoyable day at Gayfield hope it continues.

Maybe a problem that a lot of us football fans have is being impatient when things aren't going well. Seems like the team are starting to gel nicely and results are coming. 

Long may it continue. 

12 minutes ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

Maybe a problem that a lot of us football fans have is being impatient when things aren't going well. Seems like the team are starting to gel nicely and results are coming. 

Long may it continue. 

For me it was the performances.

This league is a hard league, plenty teams struggle to win games and go through rough spells, teams with bigger budgets than us will go through hard periods. 

However prior to the 1-0 defeat at home to Queens Park, where we did play well but the result went against us - we hadn’t seen many if any positive signs when we could all see we had a much improved squad. 

It has obviously just taken a wee bit of time to get up to speed and to also recover from the horrendous opening day where we seemed to completely shit the bed after that early mistake

Would've been easy for the heads to drop after the 1-0 defeat at home to QP but shows the character in the squad and how much the players are playing for DC and the management team to bounce back from that the way we have

And that is all you can ask for 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

17 minutes ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

Long may it continue. 

I don't think we were impatient.  Things were going terribly for an entire year, and then we seemed to be starting the new season in the same dismal way.  However, that's now 3 good wins on the trot, and 4 promising performances.  I don't think we were wrong to be reaching for the pitchforks, nor were we impatient, but its fair to say that it looks like things are turning right around, and the management are delivering what we all wanted!

28 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I don't think we were impatient.  Things were going terribly for an entire year, and then we seemed to be starting the new season in the same dismal way.  However, that's now 3 good wins on the trot, and 4 promising performances.  I don't think we were wrong to be reaching for the pitchforks, nor were we impatient, but its fair to say that it looks like things are turning right around, and the management are delivering what we all wanted!

I disagree...... the reality is that no matter what the situation, sacking a manager after 3 league games is ridiculous, as are shouts to do so. In a league campaign things should be taken by the quarter - every team has good and bad runs of form throughout a season, and 3 games isn't even a 'run' as such.... it's 3 games.

In terms of 'going terribly for an entire year' - again I'd disagree. In the second 18 games of last season we only lost 6 of them. We went on a 7 match unbeaten run during the spring. Both of these stats come from a season we would all consider to be a poor one.

Squadwise we were a bit of a joke during the first half of last season, we improved a lot in the second half of the campaign despite still having an all round poor squad and this year we've improved again squad wise. I don't even see this squad as comparable to the first half of last campaign, as we went through long spells of last season when the only thing we could do was to try and keep it tight and grab a 0-0 or a 1-0.

Dick got the time he deserved last year, but this year is different. The aim should be 10 points a quarter, and if we're hitting that no issues, if we have a quarter where we pick up 5/6 points, it puts pressure on the next one. If we have a prolonged period - aka two quarters - of 6 or less points then things have to be seriously looked at.

The recruitment this season has been very good - talented players who have settled into the squad really well.

I still think there will be 1 or 2 loan players incoming - but pleased we avoided the temptation of making knee jerk signings.

Gayfield will be a difficult ground for teams to leave with full points - and our defence will be even stronger soon.

Chick Young has been waxing lyrical about Airdrie, I am sure they are a decent team, but absolutely no reason why we can take full points when we play them.

We are on a good run, the confidence has returned and the players have found their mojo.

10 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

If a club wants to move a scheduled fixture, for any other reason than TV or police as clubs obviously have no choice, both teams should have to agree to it. Doesn’t matter whether that’s a part time team or a full time team. 

End of story, simple 

Feels like a lot of people are more annoyed over our part time status than anything to do with the fact the SPFL went and moved this fixture when only one team agreed to it 

Have a certain level of sympathy with this view but I don't think this helps 

"Because they used to have a different name 100 years ago? What’s all that about?" Dick Campbell rages at SPFL as Arbroath boss goes on rant over Dundee United fixture change

See when United brought a full strength team to Arbroath less than 24 hours after playing a league game so Arbroath could celebrate winning a match 100 years earlier. What's all that about? 

image.jpeg.ddeb5f4dd6b96f1ab96f0274d202921a.jpegimage.jpeg.b06843a386b515c2026691b9c5da5d82.jpeg

Thanks for coming and that but I’m not sure of the relevance of a Sunday friendly  38 year ago is. Bottom line here is a league game has been rescheduled to commemorate the centenary of a club name change and without the agreement of both teams. Some think that’s fine and some not.