The Arbroath Thread

13 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Stewart Petrie getting a phone call ???

They’d be foolish not to. He wants to stay part time and Arbroath are the best part time side in the country.

5 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Campbell turned 70 during the week. Is that him done in management? Or will he want to take another job?

I honestly don’t think he’s still got it to succeed anywhere else - he is a shell of the guy he was. I think the last wee while has taken its toll on him - he will definitely go into a job I feel but I’m not sure how well he will do.

His recruitment and personality/charisma were the thing that made him a good manager and give him that wee bit of magic and edge.

As mentioned above the personality/charisma has long been drained from him and after his recruitment last summer (2022) we had to appoint a separate recruitment team to deal with that.

So not sure how it translates to success somewhere else 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

I'm one of those who was calling for him to leave last season, but I get no joy in this.  He's without a doubt the best manager in my lifetime, if not our best ever, and he's made this club bigger.  We had years of good times and glorious success, and I'll always be grateful.  I wish the management team well.

However, it was time.  Mistakes were made last year, and the vibe just wasn't there like it was.  For better or worse, we needed a change.

Edited to add, I can still imagine the Campbells being a success elsewhere despite being in their 70s.  A fresh start at a new club would probably reinvigorate them, if they want another job.  Its not just us who needed a fresh start.

Edited by ExiledLichtie

4 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Our ego?

Nobody will be enjoying this, this is an extremely sad day.

Dicks done what no other manager will ever do for us, however that does not excuse 18 months worth of on the whole very poor decisions and management. 

In the here and now this decision is probably for the best. 

Arbroath fans will understand this - Clyde fans with names like ‘wee man the jackass’ absolutely will not understand this. 👍🏻

As you say from a neutral  a sad day.

i don’t watch Arbroath other than on the television so Arbroath fans are more informed than  me  whether it’s the right decision or not.

What is not for debate ,when you look at his tenure as Arbroath manager from near bottom of League 2 to near promotion to Premier league , it has been a remarkable and successful story.

At 70 it may be natural to retire but I believe the Campbell brothers have fitba  engrained  in them.

Would love them to come and save EF!

Just now, HoBNob said:

I've met Dick a few times and he always come across as a thoroughly good guy, my mate works in the same building as him and he'd always saying he's a good guy also. 

Wish Arbroath had waited until fucking Wednesday at least though. 

Whoever the manager is for that game will still have a small squad with injuries a couple of defenders and Keaghan Jacobs on the bench 

At that age it probably is time to call it a day, although its unfortunate the timing of it and the scenes from what I've seen. It will be interesting to see where Arbroath go from here as they've probably improved the most out of all the clubs in Scotland over the last ten years or so.

1 minute ago, ScottishLoon said:

Word of warning from past experience of dick leaving after a long spell as manager is to not expect a quick turnaround, his favourite players at the club and guys who are at Arbroath because of him might down tools a bit.

It actually looked like the players had downed tools before this so not sure that’ll be the case.

15 minutes ago, DUAFC said:

What exactly is your track record, do tell !!

Got it right about the East Kilbride chicken mutant, got it right about McCall, have it right about Malcolm.

The way some of you lot are talking about a 70 year-old man is nothing short of a disgrace. Chasing him out the club calling him a fat b*****d at games and then showering him with this patronising pish about 'losing sparkle'.  You'll get everything you deserve 🫰

Looking in as an outsider Campbell more or less had the same group of players for the last 5/6 years with little injury concerns and not any major squad upheaval during transfer windows , Starting from last season some of these established players moved on and his recruitment was very poor with the replacements being of a poorer quality , This season is more or less a continuation of last season but injuries are biting harder and recruitment has not been much better , Should have Arbroath gambled more and went hybrid to entice some better quality players on board . Just my observations could be way off the mark 

Edited by basher brash

20 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Campbell turned 70 during the week. Is that him done in management? Or will he want to take another job?

Bound to rock up much more frequently now on the lucrative after dinner speech circuit.

2 minutes ago, Wee man the jackass said:

Got it right about the East Kilbride chicken mutant, got it right about McCall, have it right about Malcolm.

The way some of you lot are talking about a 70 year-old man is nothing short of a disgrace. Chasing him out the club calling him a fat b*****d at games and then showering him with this patronising pish about 'losing sparkle'.  You'll get everything you deserve 🫰

It is best not to talk about something you don’t understand. Nobody on here cares about your opinion, cheers.

12 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

They’d be foolish not to. He wants to stay part time and Arbroath are the best part time side in the country.

And Montrose, while doing alright, certainly aren’t looking like threatening for promotion this year. The question will be does Petrie harbour any ambitions? If he moves to Arbroath, he’s taking a chance that simply staying safely in Montrose avoids…and what does he gain? He’s said before he’s happy with his day job, but would have to think about a full time offer. So if he goes to Arbroath and turns it around, is he now more attractive to a full time team? If he fails at Arbroath, he’s potentially out of the game he loves. It’s an interesting question, and Dick’s successes at Arbroath might swing the pendulum in favour of Petrie taking a swing at it.