The Arbroath Thread

On 14/01/2024 at 12:53, lichtie23 said:

Hylton confirming his away on his Twitter 

What’s abody’s thoughts on Hylton’s departure? I am absolutely gutted as thought he was fantastic for us and a very exciting player to watch like in the same way when Bobby Linn got the ball you always expected something to happen when he got the ball 🇱🇻⚽🔥 Some great performances, Assists and goals (Some crackers)

For me it feels a flat way to bow out with what happened in that last game and considering the injury crisis we have. I would have thought he would have wanted to make it up to the fans by helping keep us up, End in style and seek that well deserved full time move away in the Summer.

4 minutes ago, 36-0 Maroon said:

What’s abody’s thoughts on Hylton’s departure? I am absolutely gutted as thought he was fantastic for us and a very exciting player to watch like in the same way when Bobby Linn got the ball you always expected something to happen when he got the ball 🇱🇻⚽🔥 Some great performances, Assists and goals (Some crackers)

For me it feels a flat way to bow out with what happened in that last game and considering the injury crisis we have. I would have thought he would have wanted to make it up to the fans by helping keep us up, End in style and seek that well deserved full time move away in the Summer.

At the end of the day Jermaine Hylton has got to look out for Jermaine Hylton - he has to do what’s best for his family - not sure he will be overly bothered about how he left us and I wouldn’t expect him to be either. He was a really good player but he wants FT football and we cannot give him that 

I think we got the best out of Hylton when we had McKenna playing.  Those two formed an excellent partnership right from the get go, and its a real shame we didnt get to see more of it.  Good player, an eye for goal, robust, and full of fight.  I reckon he could easily get a full time club.

36 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I think we got the best out of Hylton when we had McKenna playing.  Those two formed an excellent partnership right from the get go, and its a real shame we didnt get to see more of it.  Good player, an eye for goal, robust, and full of fight.  I reckon he could easily get a full time club.

Well said mate 🇱🇻⚽🔥 Exactly what I was thinking. Them games against Ayr & Airdrie at home and away to Morton & Partick they were just ripping teams apart. Mikey even mentions it on Twitter and they pay each other great compliments, It’s so gutting and frustrating we couldn’t t see more as them 2 together for the run in would have been such a huge boost for helping us stay in the Championship. Hylton goes on to say AFC are very lucky to have McKenna us fans should look forward to his return to help climb us back up the table 💪

17 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

At the end of the day Jermaine Hylton has got to look out for Jermaine Hylton - he has to do what’s best for his family - not sure he will be overly bothered about how he left us and I wouldn’t expect him to be either. He was a really good player but he wants FT football and we cannot give him that 

That sums up Hylton exactly. Came here to put himself in the shop window and get a ft deal somewhere else. Anywhere as long as it's ft. Imo he didn't give a f about Arbroath but needed to play well to attract other clubs attention. We need guys prepared to fight our corner now and give 100% every game. David Gold springs to mind.  He's not the only one but he personifies what we need at the club now imho.

2 hours ago, relichtie said:

That sums up Hylton exactly. Came here to put himself in the shop window and get a ft deal somewhere else. Anywhere as long as it's ft. Imo he didn't give a f about Arbroath but needed to play well to attract other clubs attention. We need guys prepared to fight our corner now and give 100% every game. David Gold springs to mind.  He's not the only one but he personifies what we need at the club now imho.

You’re right but there is no way Hylton or any other player I can think of in recent memory has ever not given 100 percent every game. They’re all professionals and you just wouldn’t get away with it or be able to cut it if you didn’t knock your pan in. Hylton was absolutely excellent for us and going by the messages he received on his leaving post well liked by the other players in the team. 

At the end of the day most players in most squads are only there short term and there’ll be a core of guys who have been their longer term and everyone else is on short term contracts, usually a year, so it is easy to say that but you won’t look at other players you do the way you look at a Davie Gold or Scotty Stewart or McKenna, they guys maybe seem like they’re giving a wee bit more because they’ve been at the club so long.

But not for one minute do I think Hylton gave any less effort when he played than a Gold, McKenna or Stewart did 

Hylton has done nothing wrong and exactly what we wanted from him when we gave him that 6 month deal 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

In years to come we will look back on players like Scott Stewart and David Gold and probably only then realise their full worth and fully appreciate what they did and continue to do for this club. Two more committed and versatile players it would be hard to find. Between them they must have played every position on the pitch.

Guys like McKenna, Little, O’Brien and Linn tend to get (deservedly) most of the love but Gold and Stewart are right up there imo.

The Wall of Fame is going to be something else in a few years.

1 hour ago, Tattie36 said:

In years to come we will look back on players like Scott Stewart and David Gold and probably only then realise their full worth and fully appreciate what they did and continue to do for this club. Two more committed and versatile players it would be hard to find. Between them they must have played every position on the pitch.

Guys like McKenna, Little, O’Brien and Linn tend to get (deservedly) most of the love but Gold and Stewart are right up there imo.

It’s a shame we didn’t give Gold and Stewart a chance as strikers last season. They couldn’t have done worse. 

5 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

Yeah, David Gold has even donned the gloves. Both Gold and Stewart have been worth their weight in gold with the versatility they've shown. Especially Stewart this season.

Good to see it get the credit it deserves my only criticism more for the club is that they don’t order enough of them few games this season they’ve ran out early or no enough made it round to the wee sea side hut 😂😂

Some of the fouls, referee Euan Anderson giving tonight in the Clyde v Aberdeen game,after last Saturday.You just wonder how Euan gets a top game on the TV 

40 minutes ago, WHM said:

Some of the fouls, referee Euan Anderson giving tonight in the Clyde v Aberdeen game,after last Saturday.You just wonder how Euan gets a top game on the TV 

Should have been a clear penalty for Aberdeen before their goal too...

On 18/01/2024 at 18:35, ExiledLichtie said:

From our socials:

image.thumb.png.0d95ebf6d0f3bf0dd0b10db5c7dc79c3.png

I haven't had a better pie at any other football ground than our steak and blacks. 

I had one of those wee beauties when we played you guys before Christmas. Best thing I've tasted in 38 years of going to football matches by a mile.

13 minutes ago, timlichtie said:

Disappointing lack of news again this week. 

The west coast is looking very wet and windy all week. I’m wondering if the Ayr game could be in doubt?

It may be a good thing with the injuries we have. 

1 hour ago, Housecaptain said:

It may be a good thing with the injuries we have. 

My thoughts exactly.

It would still be nice to get some information to keep interest levels up. Interviews with new players or similar would be nice.