The Arbroath Thread

From what I’ve heard no new deals have been offered yet. Scott Stewart and a few others have been asked when they’re coming back for pre season by mcintyre which all but confirms he’s staying for next season. Scott has defo not been offered a new deal so chances are neither has anyone else.

1 minute ago, glasgowlichtie23 said:

From what I’ve heard no new deals have been offered yet. Scott Stewart and a few others have been asked when they’re coming back for pre season by mcintyre which all but confirms he’s staying for next season. Scott has defo not been offered a new deal so chances are neither has anyone else.

Well he would have to start planning all of this regardless so atleast he’s thinking about it but surely he’d be telling them when to come back for pre season instead of asking when they will be?

Trying to sort out deals for guys like Stewart is by far the most important thing for the club to be doing right now. I think Stewart will be here next season. Out of all the guys he’s the one I’m most confident about, maybe end up being wrong though. 

1 hour ago, lichtie23 said:

Bobby Linn was the king of fan involvement. He would regularly pop his head into Tutties after a game to say hi to supporters and take a few pics. It only takes 5 minutes of a players time to do that. Jess Norey done it after the win in Inverness earlier this season and was very well received. 

Ah, but that got right on Dick's tits.

The question I would like answered - is why did we move away from what we done best? Signing decent solid part time pros in Scotland and building up a team and squad with them, moving to signing short term full time players instead.

Pre this season (where I think we have people who fit the category above - Lyon / Steele / Slater / Murray / McIntosh) the only players we’ve still got signed at the club from Dicks 2022/2023 season are Jacobs and Ryan Dow (who signed in January 2023) - I think this is a big part of why we have struggled and why next season looks so daunting. 

I mean even Shanks as an example - he was signed for 2 year - now I don’t think Shanks was good enough to play in the Championship which is fair enough and understandable, but if we had loaned him out or kept him on the books, maybe used him as an impact sub he may have come on a lot as a player and ended up being a character and a part of the squad. Shanks would still be our player right now and would have been a good player to have going into a League 1 season.

Like I said though he was probably not up to the level so maybe getting rid of him altogether was correct and fair…. however - the ‘Full Time’ players we have signed in attacking positions are absolutely not any better than what he was - we have had -

Kareem Isiaka

Daniel Fosu

Deri Corfe

Paul Komolafe

Turan

Kyle Robinson

El Mhanni

All come in - take a wage and f**k off.

None of these players were ever going to be here for longer than 6 months / 1 year and while Shanks had his faults he was a better player than all of the above and we would have had the benefit of him becoming part of the group and forming bonds and a connection with the group of players here.

Now that is just an example - but what I am trying to say is that we signed all of these ‘Full Time’ guys who we knew at the time would have only been here for a year tops instead of part time players in this country who could have potentially been a part of the club for 2/3/4… 10 years like others have. You obviously can’t hit with every one of these guys but there might have been 2 or 3 that become a part of the core. It all kind of ripped the arse out of any identity and togetherness we had. 

For me the only proper successes have been Bird and Adarkwa maybe has a case too however he was injured so often.

Every single one of these other guys are and were no better than PT players in Scotland who could’ve become a McKenna or a Goldie. From what I hear too some of these players have been coming in and getting better wages than the likes of McKenna / Goldie which is shite and is bound to have rubbed some up the wrong way. I mean if their only source of income was Arbroath FC then they must’ve been getting at a minimum £20k odd for a year or £10k odd for 6 months which is naturally just going to be more than what PT players would be getting as they do not have FT jobs and salaries like the PT players. 

I do feel like this is one of the main reasons we are in a mess right now and I don’t mean relegated because we could’ve and would’ve ended up easily been relegated with just signing PT players too. I mean a mess as in having a squad of 6/7 currently signed up for next season and only a couple of them who have been here for more than a season. 

The list of players who were ‘Full Time’ and who we would’ve known had no long term future at the club when we signed them is as follows 

Daniel Fosu

Kareem Isiaka

Deri Corfe

Sean Adarkwa 

Paul Komolafe 

El Mhanni

Lewis Banks

Florent Hoti

Kyle Robinson

Turan

Norey 

Bird

Now we have obviously learned our lesson this year and only signed 3 - but see all the PT guys we’ve signed this year that are signed for next year they are going to be the guys we are counting on as the basis of our squad in L1 - Stowe / Steele / Slater / Murray / McIntosh 

If we had done this the season before and there were 4/5 successes instead of all these short term FT jobbers (a lot of who were brought in to bomb out guys like LD / Shanks / Craigen / JT) then we could maybe be sitting with a decent group for L1 right now - maybe have 9/10 players on top of the core who have been here forever - would’ve been more of a team and squad unit too as guys built relationships which could’ve made our older core of guys be more determined to be here again next season regardless of who the gaffer was.

I do feel like all our bother started at the start of the 2022/2023 season - absolutely tore the arse out of everything that makes a part time squad and team successful - for short term fixes that we thought would be an improvement on PT players in Scotland - however not thinking of the long term affect of it. 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

3 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Bobby Linn was the king of fan involvement. He would regularly pop his head into Tutties after a game to say hi to supporters and take a few pics. It only takes 5 minutes of a players time to do that. Jess Norey done it after the win in Inverness earlier this season and was very well received. 

Talking of Jess Norey. Where’s he disappeared too? 

22 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

the ‘Full Time’ players we have signed in attacking positions are absolutely not any better than what he was - we have had -

Kareem Isiaka

Daniel Fosu

Deri Corfe

Paul Komolafe

Turan

Kyle Robinson

El Mhanni

f**k me 😂😂😂 Brought back some horrid memories some of those names man… Corfe, Isiaka, Sam Ford and Komolafe are the worst players I’ve ever seen play for us

6 minutes ago, lichtiemike said:

Didn’t one of the management team say there’s no good players left in Scotland or something? 

Aye. Pink said that at a Q&A. Can’t remember what he said in full but it was along the lines that no part time player in Scotland is good enough to play for us 

1 minute ago, lichtie23 said:

Aye. Pink said that at a Q&A. Can’t remember what he said in full but it was along the lines that no part time player in Scotland is good enough to play for us 

Which is just fkn mental when you look at all the ‘FT’ guys they brought in from elsewhere that they have sent out to play for us

I forgot about Ford and Bakare - funnily enough they were the first of this type of signing - right after we lost Joel Nouble back to Livingston who Livingston had picked up from the English non leagues… the start of the 2022/2023 season was also the start of the bus load of non league English trialists 

Must have been a coincidence 

3 hours ago, glasgowlichtie23 said:

Any other exclusives? 

You forgot Toyosi Olusanya - now there’s a weird one. Utterly hopeless for us, spent most of his, limited time on the pitch for us falling on his arse. Now doing a reasonable job for 5th place Premiership St Mirren.

He was on loan but still, another name to add to the poop list.

Edited by Tattie36

Just now, lichtie23 said:

McKenna next please 

McKenna and Gaston - preferably Lyon but that’s my own preference I get that. Maybe Ricky too. 

Stewart is an absolutely brilliant start