The Arbroath Thread

27 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

In what way did we get very fortunate?  Were we in the championship by fluke?  Did Inverness not get equally fortunate?  And if you're referring to the bequest, as I'm sure you'll know, we didn't blow that on transfers, wages and chasing success, we used it on ground improvements to help us for the long term.

13 minutes ago, lichtiemike said:

Unprecedented turnover, our highest league finish in my lifetime and record prize money as a result, as you say, fortunate. 

You got the same grant as other championship teams, all of whom had larger operating bases and were full time. It’s hardly coincidental that you then almost got promoted in 2022. Thr money from the will was to be spent on stadium improvements. This all contributed to increased revenue without suffering costs. 

Just now, The Moonster said:

Fucking touchy bunch you boys :lol:

To be fair you clearly had a point, but so did everyone else and you still kept going, so….? 

Anyway a very underwhelming signing but someone Petrie had offered a contract to at the Mo so it is steady enough. Sounds like a good guy to have in squad -

https://montrosefc.co.uk/2024/05/23/callaghan-makes-tough-decision-to-depart-links-park/

Just now, Aufc said:

They get very defensive when faced with the truth

This just sounds like you’ve got your own personal axe to grind too to be honest 

6 minutes ago, Aufc said:

You got the same grant as other championship teams, all of whom had larger operating bases and were full time. It’s hardly coincidental that you then almost got promoted in 2022. Thr money from the will was to be spent on stadium improvements. This all contributed to increased revenue without suffering costs. 

How incredibly fortunate.  Did we win a lottery draw to be fortunate enough to be in the championship?  I was under the mistaken impression that we'd got promoted on sporting merit.  When we finished second, were we also "incredibly fortunate" that we got more prize money than the teams finishing below us?  And then we were incredibly fortunate that our club was run as a part time operation within its means, without ludicrous overspending propped up by borrowed money?  Wow.  We really are flukey b*****ds.

3 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

To be fair you clearly had a point, but so did everyone else and you still kept going, so….? 

Anyway a very underwhelming signing but someone Petrie had offered a contract to at the Mo so it is steady enough. Sounds like a good guy to have in squad -

https://montrosefc.co.uk/2024/05/23/callaghan-makes-tough-decision-to-depart-links-park/

This just sounds like you’ve got your own personal axe to grind too to be honest 

Couldn’t really give a f**k about the smokies. Just found it funny seeing some of you getting stuck into inverness about finances. I am Not saying Arbroath are badly run like Inverness but just amusing that they can’t see the advantages that have helped them massively over the last few years

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

How incredibly fortunate.  Did we win a lottery draw to be fortunate enough to be in the championship?  I was under the mistaken impression that we'd got promoted on sporting merit.  When we finished second, were we also "incredibly fortunate" that we got more prize money than the teams finishing below us?  And then we were incredibly fortunate that our club was run as a part time operation within its means, without ludicrous overspending propped up by borrowed money?  Wow.  We really are flukey b*****ds.

You are missing the point. I’m not saying you were flukey to be in the championship. However, the covid grants were not based on anything financial so you had full time teams in league 1 getting significantly less than part time teams in the championship. You finished second in 2022 which was after the covid time. Do you see a possible correlation?

You also upgraded your stadium and hospo offering without suffering costs. It’s great for you but surely you can accept that these two instances are very fortunate?

Edited by Aufc

This is in no way intended as some sort of bitterness about a player leaving us to join a rival, but I am astounded that Liam Callaghan has managed to not only get a move to a club who I’d expect to be right up there in League 1, but also managed to get a 2 year deal. Been a great servant for us for most of his spell but I was convinced he’d be going League 2 or even Lowland League next. 

17 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Did our squad in 2021/22 scream of £500k worth of additional players being bought and paid?

That season we signed 

Nicky Low from Lowland League East Stirlingshire

Callum Antell and Liam Henderson from L2 Edinburgh City

Dylan Paterson from Lowland League Bo'ness Athletic (loaned out twice)

Harrison Clark (youth team player) and Joel Nouble (non league Enlish player)  on loan from Premiership Livingston. (Both ended in January 22) Jack Hamilton (Youth player Jan 22 to May 22)

Anton Dowds (out of favour) on loan from L1 Falkirk (ended Jan 22)

Chris Hamilton (Youth player) from Hearts B team.

Craig Wighton (out of favour) on loan from Dunfermline (Jan 22 to May 22)

Sam Ford from English 7th tier Felixstowe (Jan 22 to May 22)

Michael Bakare (Jan 22 to May 22)

Its laughable if you think somehow that money was the reason we had a title challenge.

1 minute ago, Aidan said:

This is in no way intended as some sort of bitterness about a player leaving us to join a rival, but I am astounded that Liam Callaghan has managed to not only get a move to a club who I’d expect to be right up there in League 1, but also managed to get a 2 year deal. Been a great servant for us for most of his spell but I was convinced he’d be going League 2 or even Lowland League next. 

Pretty underwhelming signing tbh.

5 minutes ago, Aufc said:

You are missing the point. I’m not saying you were flukey to be in the championship. However, the covid grants were based on anything financial so you had full time teams in league 1 getting significantly less than part time teams in the championship. You finished second in 2022 which was after the covid time. Do you see a possible correlation?

You also upgraded your stadium and hospo offering without suffering costs. It’s great for you but surely you can accept that these two instances are very fortunate?

How come we were the only part time to be "fortunate" enough to receive this great munificence?  

Also, we've seen that Inverness (to name one club) have been running for years at massive losses, propped up by director money.  Maybe if they'd been "fortunate" enough to not be spending money they didn't have on a full time team, then they too could have been "fortunate" enough to benefit from the money.  

Furthermore, a lot of the ground improvements were planned and carried out before the bequest and covid money.  We've been steadily investing and improving in our ground since 2002.  While other clubs have got promoted and gone bust, we've been quietly improving the ground, expanding the capacity, putting new hospitality in, replacing the roof, etc etc.  That has all happened in the background.  We didn't just run with a ramshackle heap until covid hit.  So no, I do not accept that we were "very fortunate".

3 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

How come we were the only part time to be "fortunate" enough to receive this great munificence?  

Also, we've seen that Inverness (to name one club) have been running for years at massive losses, propped up by director money.  Maybe if they'd been "fortunate" enough to not be spending money they didn't have on a full time team, then they too could have been "fortunate" enough to benefit from the money.  

Furthermore, a lot of the ground improvements were planned and carried out before the bequest and covid money.  We've been steadily investing and improving in our ground since 2002.  While other clubs have got promoted and gone bust, we've been quietly improving the ground, expanding the capacity, putting new hospitality in, replacing the roof, etc etc.  That has all happened in the background.  We didn't just run with a ramshackle heap until covid hit.  So no, I do not accept that we were "very fortunate".

Mind that time we had to replace the main stand and run the squad on a shoestring budget for years to clear the debt.

4 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Mind that time we had to replace the main stand and run the squad on a shoestring budget for years to clear the debt.

Yes, we were "incredibly fortunate" to not pay a transfer fee for 10 years while we paid off the debt incurred for compulsory ground improvements the league forced us to do.  Then when we cleared that, we were "incredibly fortunate" that we used the money we scraped together to add hospitality and a supporters bar to the main stand.  How incredibly fortunate of us to do that, knowing that we would receive a covid grant when we won the lottery and got promoted to the championship over a decade later.

37 minutes ago, Aufc said:

You are missing the point. I’m not saying you were flukey to be in the championship. However, the covid grants were not based on anything financial so you had full time teams in league 1 getting significantly less than part time teams in the championship. You finished second in 2022 which was after the covid time. Do you see a possible correlation?

You’ve had a mare here, a skill that is learned in life, is when to cut your losses, I suggest that time has come, can I now suggest, a period of silence, now a very good night too you

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Couldn’t really give a f**k about the smokies. Just found it funny seeing some of you getting stuck into inverness about finances. I am Not saying Arbroath are badly run like Inverness but just amusing that they can’t see the advantages that have helped them massively over the last few years

I mean it was obviously good to get the grant money but I don’t see how it’s an advantage when every other team in the league we were in got exactly the same…? That literally defeats the meaning of the word on its own 

Defensive or touchy definitely not words I would use either but maybe I am biased and not seeing it. I think words such as greeting faced negative c***s would probably sum us up much better the last couple of year

👍🏻

Edited by 1320Lichtie

51 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Couldn’t really give a f**k about the smokies.

Couldn't give a f**k to the degree that you’ll come on our forum, and talk utter nonsense about how we’re ‘lucky’ to get a covid grant that was also given to every team in the league, and how we sign players because of a bequest that we could only spend on the stadium. 

Couldn’t give a f**k though 

6 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I mean it was obviously good to get the grant money but I don’t see how it’s an advantage when every other team in the league we were in got exactly the same…? That literally defeats the meaning of the word on its own 

Defensive or touchy definitely not words I would use either but maybe I am biased and not seeing it. I think words such as greeting faced negative c***s would probably sum us up much better the last couple of year

👍🏻

Because the other teams had much higher cost bases than Arbroath so of course it’s an advantage. 

Just now, glasgowlichtie23 said:

Couldn't give a f**k to the degree that you’ll come on our forum, and talk utter nonsense about how we’re ‘lucky’ to get a covid grant that was also given to every team in the league, and how we sign players because of a bequest that we could only spend on the stadium. 

Couldn’t give a f**k though 

You clearly don’t understand how multi club forums work pal

Welcome back to Liam Callaghan. If anything, he will make the Christmas night out more interesting. Will let people get back to the highly interesting debates going on elsewhere in this thread

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Because the other teams had much higher cost bases than Arbroath so of course it’s an advantage. 

You clearly don’t understand how multi club forums work pal

But then it would be an advantage to every team who had less of a cost base than whoever was at the very top of that list. So it means 9 teams also had an advantage unless every single team spent the same.

Could you please go into detail of what our ‘cost base’ was in comparison to everyone elses and also what you would have suggested we should have got on a pro rata basis instead? 

If we didn’t get it we would also have been at a massive disadvantage which wouldn’t have been fair either.

😂

Edited by 1320Lichtie