The Arbroath Thread

2 minutes ago, Blawin a Hoolie said:

#Mcintyreoot….there said it.

his step count during a match is about 50….stood there like a lampost doing absolutely nothing whatsoever.

That’s 49 more than he did when he was with us. 

Staggered he got your gig. 

1 minute ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Do you want us to have 20 players signed with 6/7 clearly not good enough to play at this level and for us to be scrambling to move on and replace come the next transfer window?

It is not normal to start competitive games stating you're going to play "two up top" but literally having only two strikers.  That means that following the 1320Lichtie school of management, the best case, assuming that nobody gets a red card or picks up an injury (oh wouldn't you know!!), is that you're going to play both your strikers for every single minute of every single match without subbing them off.  And you think this is anything other than absolute mismanagement?  Madness. It is not normal.  Just like when the Campbells were going into the season without defensive cover and our fans lined up to insist that "no, we didn't need any more defenders actually".  Is there any absurdity our fanbase won't swallow? 

If we were going with 1 up front then, fine, that would be different, but it was made extremely clear from the manager, the chairman, the players, the vice chairman, everyone, that it would be "2 up top".  You may remember that our fanbase used that as our rationale for ushering Mikey McKenna out the door, there wouldn't be a role for him in his favoured position.

7 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

It is not normal to start competitive games stating you're going to play "two up top" but literally having only two strikers.  That means that following the 1320Lichtie school of management, the best case, assuming that nobody gets a red card or picks up an injury (oh wouldn't you know!!), is that you're going to play both your strikers for every single minute of every single match without subbing them off.  And you think this is anything other than absolute mismanagement?  Madness. It is not normal.  Just like when the Campbells were going into the season without defensive cover and our fans lined up to insist that "no, we didn't need any more defenders actually".  Is there any absurdity our fanbase won't swallow? 

If we were going with 1 up front then, fine, that would be different, but it was made extremely clear from the manager, the chairman, the players, the vice chairman, everyone, that it would be "2 up top".  You may remember that our fanbase used that as our rationale for ushering Mikey McKenna out the door, there wouldn't be a role for him in his favoured position.

Not just two strikers in the squad for the entire season you fkn halfwit… how is it possible to be so obtuse

There are plenty of incomplete squads right across the leagues

Plenty of teams in exactly the same position waiting on finalising their squads 

We should have binned McIntyre after the end of last season. Letting him build a new team was a mistake cause we’ll be stuck with him for a fair while because the board will want to give him a chance with said new team, which from their point of view I can understand, you wouldn’t want to bin him this early in the season after you’ve backed him. Played ourselves into a corner here.

Just now, glasgowlichtie23 said:

do you want him running up the touch line with the subs warming up hahahaha

Rather he ran back up the road to cove,

Dramatic but looking at his record, the performances, the tactics and recruitment so far he has to go,

Went on the give Campbell 1/4 of a season last year and look what happened, At least Campbell had earned the chance for that even when everyone deep down knew his time was up, McIntire has done absolutely nothing to warrant more time, 

I'd be all for giving him a chance if there was any positive signs, but no one could give me one

I'd love to be wrong but even the most positive person must know deep down this is gonna end one way,

12 minutes ago, lichtiekev said:

I'd be all for giving him a chance if there was any positive signs

We have two of the best part time strikers coming into the side in a matter of weeks.

We have a keeper who has a good track record and looked superb against Dundee.

It's early stages, but we have two full backs who look to offer attacking threat down the channels which we've missed in the last few years.

We, should, have a solid centre back pairing in Tam and Hammy.

The whole squad has looked extremely sharp in pre season and we seem much fitter than anytime in the last few years.

I think these 5, off the top of my head, are all really positive things and bode well for the coming 9 month league season. If Jim McIntyre can't get them playing, he will leave the club and we will look to appoint someone who can. All of these things were true at 2PM today, and they're still very much true at 8PM this evening. :)

I mean it'd also be rather easy to list off 5 negatives off the top of my head - but clearly there's no-one saying they can't see any negatives at the moment :lol: 

Edited by SimonLichtie

13 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

We have two of the best part time strikers coming into the side in a matter of weeks.

We have a keeper who has a good track record and looked superb against Dundee.

It's early stages, but we have two full backs who look to offer attacking threat down the channels which we've missed in the last few years.

We, should, have a solid centre back pairing in Tam and Hammy.

The whole squad has looked extremely sharp in pre season and we seem much fitter than anytime in the last few years.

I think these 5, off the top of my head, are all really positive things and bode well for the coming 9 month league season. If Jim McIntyre can't get them playing, he will leave the club and we will look to appoint someone who can. All of these things were true at 2PM today, and they're still very much true at 8PM this evening. :)

I mean it'd also be rather easy to list off 5 negatives off the top of my head - but clearly there's no-one saying they can't see any negatives at the moment :lol: 

Agree but again wasn’t too sure why we lined up the way we did today when we had to go and try and beat Annan - I don’t think it was a positive set up and I also thought he maybe underestimated Annan by starting young Spalding. I get that there was no striker and I get losing Hamilton early on was a blow and then going down to 10 an even bigger blow but we should’ve seen a more positive set up from the off I think. 

I have confidence in what I’m looking at on paper - I think McAdams, Bisland, Wilkie, Gallagher and Reilly are all good signings. Keeping Stewart and Hamilton massive positives too but I don’t know if I can see McIntyre turning around this negative momentum. Dundee game was absolutely fine, we did get beat though.

Today was a very reasonable opportunity to at the very least show some positives for other reasons. I don’t get why McAdams who had been superb in his previous 2 games had dropped out and I don’t understand why the untested Spalding started the game. Don’t understand why it was a back 5 with Stewart in it at home to Annan. 

We are trying to stop the rot and get a bit of good momentum going. Be positive and do not f**k around. 

I have very little faith as it stands in Jim. I have faith in the group of players we’ve got assembled though. There is potential there.

Today was a disaster for Jim

1 minute ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Some absolute heids gone in here after 2 years of pumpings.

Fixed that for you. No one would give a shit if this was a one off.

4 hours ago, lichtiekev said:

So won't be judged against a team in the league below us? All for for giving him a chance if there was any positive signs, apart from Dow there isn't much to be positive about

Not having a striker or enough players is on the manager,

Wow…

14 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Today was a very reasonable opportunity to at the very least show some positives for other reasons. I don’t get why McAdams who had been superb in his previous 2 games had dropped out and I don’t understand why the untested Spalding started the game. Don’t understand why it was a back 5 with Stewart in it at home to Annan. 

It's not a back 5 in my opinion - it's a back 3 allowing Bisland and Wilkie to get forward and be covered when they do so. Worth trying in my opinion, and it also enables him to get Stewart into the team long term if it works. If not, we'll be in a situation where we have both Scott Stewart and Innes Murray who you'd both want on the right of midfield, and you could play Murray on the left but then Dow drops out.... I also in general like the idea of a 3-5-2 with Bisland/ Wilkie as I think it probably suits them both more than playing a flat 4 at the back. All of these are obviously good things, you need options off the bench/ covering injuries etc. etc.

McAdams didn't play as him and Hemfrey will get two league cup games each to show what they can do which is fairly standard and what I remember us doing almost every year the League Cup has been group stages although I might be wrong on that.

It's an odd one for me - I think McIntyre has signed really well, I really like the way he's trying to play and I like the things he's been trying to do building up to this season. Ultimately though, football is a results business, and if we were to lose the next four games his position would be almost untenable, despite it being mid August. If that's the case, then I'd be very happy with the basis of the squad he'd left for the next manager, and McIntyre's failure would quite simply be that he cannot get the team performing despite having put together a squad that clearly should be doing so.

10 minutes ago, glasgowlichtie23 said:

So these “2 years of pumpings” are the fault of McIntyre?

Absolutely not and I never said that it was.

I’m still of the opinion that the main reason we are where we are is because we held on to Campbell for so long.

Edited by Tattie36

Just now, Tattie36 said:

Absolutely not and I never said that.

Im still of the opinion that the main reason we are where we are is because we held on to Campbell for so long.

I agree with you but I think the difference with Campbell was that he had a lot of credit in the bank.

3 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

Genuine question - why do people think we should be beating a team in our own division, with 10 men for an hour of the game, and no strikers available?

Not being an arse here - this is a genuine question and a lot of people seem to think today was totally unacceptable, so surely plenty of answers to it?

Even regardless of the striker part of it - I don't get why we, or anyone else in this division, should expect to win a game against another team in this league when we've got 10 men for over half the game?

I totally get the bigger picture and the frustration - but the above seems to give the impression people think we should be strolling it against other part time teams in our division? :unsure: 

4 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

Not being an arse here - this is a genuine question and a lot of people seem to think today was totally unacceptable, so surely plenty of answers to it?

Even regardless of the striker part of it - I don't get why we, or anyone else in this division, should expect to win a game against another team in this league when we've got 10 men for over half the game?

I totally get the bigger picture and the frustration - but the above seems to give the impression people think we should be strolling it against other part time teams in our division? :unsure: 

1.  We should have a striker.  Us having no strikers is not a mitigation, its an incrimination.

2.  The board and the management have said that they expect to be challenging for the league title (I think that's unlikely).  So yes, we should be beating teams like Annan if we are serious about the thing our management says we are serious about.

3.  We were already a goal down when we had 11 men.

Edited by ExiledLichtie

1 minute ago, ExiledLichtie said:

1.  We should have a striker.  Us having no strikers is not a mitigation, its an incrimination.

2.  The board and the management have said that they expect to be challenging for the league title (I think that's unlikely).  So yes, we should be beating teams like Annan if we are serious about the thing our management says we are serious about.

3.  We were already a goal down when we had 11 men.

If we had 3 strikers on the books but all 3 were injured should we have signed a 4th?

If we had 4 strikers on the books but all were injured should we go out and sign a 5th?

Gallagher played midweek. McIntyre was hopeful he would feature this weekend but he has probably had a set back and has not been risked. Also Reilly was back training on Thursday but again not fit enough to play today.

You are making it out that we have no strikers on the books at all and omitting the fact the 2 we have are both currently injured.

1 minute ago, SimonLichtie said:

It's not a back 5 in my opinion - it's a back 3 allowing Bisland and Wilkie to get forward and be covered when they do so. Worth trying in my opinion, and it also enables him to get Stewart into the team long term if it works. If not, we'll be in a situation where we have both Scott Stewart and Innes Murray who you'd both want on the right of midfield, and you could play Murray on the left but then Dow drops out.... I also in general like the idea of a 3-5-2 with Bisland/ Wilkie as I think it probably suits them both more than playing a flat 4 at the back. All of these are obviously good things, you need options off the bench/ covering injuries etc. etc.

McAdams didn't play as him and Hemfrey will get two league cup games each to show what they can do which is fairly standard and what I remember us doing almost every year the League Cup has been group stages although I might be wrong on that.

It's an odd one for me - I think McIntyre has signed really well, I really like the way he's trying to play and I like the things he's been trying to do building up to this season. Ultimately though, football is a results business, and if we were to lose the next four games his position would be almost untenable, despite it being mid August. If that's the case, then I'd be very happy with the basis of the squad he'd left for the next manager, and McIntyre's failure would quite simply be that he cannot get the team performing despite having put together a squad that clearly should be doing so.

Don’t really agree. 

I don’t think either of them, for as much as I’ve seen of them and as much as I like them especially Bisland, are good enough going forward that you make an effort to get them into these areas when we’ve got a powerful right midfield player who can absolutely power past a full back and get crosses into the box. Stewart could’ve been our best attacking threat today I would have fancied him against Quitongo.

No reason why both Wilkie and Bisland could not be over lapping Stewart on the right wing and Dow or Murray on the left wing. It was Annan at home think we should’ve had a more positive approach. 

Whilst we had 11 men on the park I actually could not tell you how or where the 4 midfield players were supposed to be playing. It looked like Slater and Spalding were deeper and Murray and Gold were supposed to be higher and off of Dow. It was all a bit of a mess, Slater wasn’t great today and Spalding anonymous and looked very much like a youth player playing with men whenever he got on the ball. I don’t know why he put him in today when we needed to win the game. 

McAdams 

Bisland

ToB 

Hamilton 

Wilkie

Stewart RM

Callaghan

Gold

Slater

Dow / Murray LM

Dow / Murray CF

Surely would’ve seen us in a better shape with 2 actual wingers on the park and a steady and reliable midfield 3 - we were a man down with young Spalding

That is my opinion anyway. I don’t think it was a positive approach, thought we had nothing going forward in wide areas and the middle of midfield with the 4 players in there was all over the place