The Arbroath Thread

Well that was a crap start to the season, apart from the last ten minutes we looked lost. The poor passing and lack of ball control is infuriating. Jim needs to get the team going very very quickly, a real apathy about our support today.

What was the team out doing routines at half time all about!!

15 minutes ago, keptie said:

What was the team out doing routines at half time all about!!

It's common for teams to do a 2/3 minute warm up post second half starting - we've done it all pre-season also.

Game wise - A relatively even game in which Stenny took their chances and we didn't take ours. It's a poor result, and a relatively poor performance, but the reaction is that to a game we got played off the park and lost 3/4-0.... There's going to be plenty of stuffy, even games decided by a moment of class/ luck/ a team taking their chance over the course of the season, no matter what position we're in.

Ultimately with the squad McIntyre's built and the season aims, he has to pick up points. I'm still optimistic for the season as a whole due to the squad we've got, and obviously it'd be ridiculous to have any sort of change of opinion based on a singular game when you're looking at a 9 month campaign. We all know, the fans, the board, the management, the team, that if we don't get the required results in the first quarter then a change will be made. I'm fairly relaxed about the whole situation to be honest.

I do find it wild people describing today as 'embarrassing' etc. It was a relatively poor performance in a league game..... people reacting like the team bottom of League 2 just horsed us at home, or like we got beat with 9 men for the last half a hour. These situations, which have happened to us relatively recently, they were embarrassing. Lets have a sense of perspective here - the only embarrassing thing I've taken out of today is the absolute state of the Facebook comments about todays game.

Edited by SimonLichtie

I don't how that can be seen as an even game, we were so poor, 

See it there was an upturn in performances and u could actually see improvement you could give a bit more understanding, his last win in league was Raith...

He will get the first 1/4, even though he doesn't deserve it, But this will end one way, maybe if he showed a bit of personality instead of standing with his hand behind his back or see if he had the decency to applaud the travelling fans who turned up in good numbers people might give he a bit more understand 

7 minutes ago, lichtiekev said:

I don't how that can be seen as an even game

Both teams had about the same amount of the ball I thought, probably the same amount of clear cut opportunities, and probably the same amount of half chances during the game...... all points towards a relatively even game to me? Just because we were poor doesn't mean we weren't in the game for the full 90 minutes, and apart from a 5 minute shitshow we looked fairly comfortable and never under sustained pressure etc?

1 hour ago, RedLichtie86 said:

1 game into a 36 game league season and folk already losing their shit.

Not defending the result but lets see what happens over the next 3/4 games before losing it.

I certainly wont be happy if we are not playing well and not winning games by that point.

For me he now has 5 games to save his job

Wasn’t there today, but speaking to a couple who were, it’s all about the centre mid, no bite, no creativity 

1 minute ago, SimonLichtie said:

Both teams had about the same amount of the ball I thought, probably the same amount of clear cut opportunities, and probably the same amount of half chances during the game...... all points towards a relatively even game to me? Just because we were poor doesn't mean we weren't in the game for the full 90 minutes, and apart from a 5 minute shitshow we looked fairly comfortable and never under sustained pressure etc?

Funny how people see games differently, I thought they knocked the ball about better than us and had a style of play, we were slow and negative,

I'd love to be as positive and optimistic as you, but I just don't see what he is trying to do and don't see how he improves things, 

Just now, ecto said:

Ultimately I agree with this - as I'd expect us to have set number of points required after the first 9 games. In terms of achieving that target, if it becomes impossible then I'd expect that would be that....

32 minutes ago, glasgowlichtie23 said:

Ultimately McIntyre can train the players to defend and attack but he can’t train them on how to make simple 3 yard passes or trap a ball - which some of our players couldn’t do today

That attacking training is going well, isn't it?  

8 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

Aye absolutely agree. 

Just now, ecto said:

Wasn’t there today, but speaking to a couple who were, it’s all about the centre mid, no bite, no creativity 

100 percent - few top passes from Callaghan and good balls in but his overall game was very poor defensively and too many attempted World Cup passes when he was not playing bobbly or high safe balls back to defence

Slater… wouldn’t have known he was playing 

It did change when Coulson and Gallagher come on though - had a much easier time getting the ball up the park. Coulson was very good. They subs should’ve been made well before they were though, clear as day it wasn’t working at half time. To put Stewart to RB and keep Murray on when he brought Coulson on was also very strange. Completely took our best attacking threat up until that point out the game and left Murray on who was completely anonymous today. 

Murray was anonymous because he wasn't being played in his best position.  He looked much better after the subs.  Wonder if anyone would like to hazard a guess as to why he wasn't being played in his best position?

Edited by ExiledLichtie

Sack him now, first time I’ve called for his head, don’t give him the derby he needs gone now, that was pathetic, I’ve not called for heads before they must role now, f**k, just bought the new kit and a new ticket, board get in early let the guy go, majority don’t rate him, bye Jim.

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Aye absolutely agree. 

100 percent - few top passes from Callaghan and good balls in but his overall game was very poor defensively and too many attempted World Cup passes when he was not playing bobbly or high safe balls back to defence

Slater… wouldn’t have known he was playing 

It did change when Coulson and Gallagher come on though - had a much easier time getting the ball up the park. Coulson was very good. They subs should’ve been made well before they were though, clear as day it wasn’t working at half time. To put Stewart to RB and keep Murray on when he brought Coulson on was also very strange. Completely took our best attacking threat up until that point out the game and left Murray on who was completely anonymous today. 

Now of the opinion, Stowe, Walker and Slater have to be moved on, need 2 centre mids and attacking midfielder/forward

I think Slaters name will be one of the first names on the managers team sheet,

It's been clear as day for a long time we have been in massive need of improvement in the middle of the park and it's never happened,

He will get the first 1/4 but he needs to stick to a settled 442 formation like was said, if Gallagher isn't to start then play Murray upfront and get 2 wide players, we looked so much better last week and the last part of today's game when we had 2 upfront, it's hard to believe but the defenders at this level so why make it easy for them,

Massive game next week

1 hour ago, Broath Boy said:

Sack him now, first time I’ve called for his head, don’t give him the derby he needs gone now, that was pathetic, I’ve not called for heads before they must role now, f**k, just bought the new kit and a new ticket, board get in early let the guy go, majority don’t rate him, bye Jim.

44 minutes ago, Broath Boy said:

Sack him now, being going to Gayf for 50 plus years, f**king horrendous, f**king fizzing, opening game, challenging, get a grip, we will just avoid automatic relegation, get him gone.

Aye, but how do you really feel? 

34 minutes ago, lichtiekev said:

I think Slaters name will be one of the first names on the managers team sheet,

It's been clear as day for a long time we have been in massive need of improvement in the middle of the park and it's never happened,

He will get the first 1/4 but he needs to stick to a settled 442 formation like was said, if Gallagher isn't to start then play Murray upfront and get 2 wide players, we looked so much better last week and the last part of today's game when we had 2 upfront, it's hard to believe but the defenders at this level so why make it easy for them,

Massive game next week

Gold when he’s fit is the most reliable option who needs to play, he’s a tidy all rounder with a great engine. Give him a role in there and a task and he’ll do it - the other position is absolutely up for grabs.

Callaghan puts a great corner in and is capable of the odd worldie pass and cross but if he’s going to be playing he really needs to improve in every other area.

Forfar fans had Slater as one of their top players they have had over the years before he came here but I have no idea what his strengths actually are. 

I think another player is required in there but I don’t think it’ll happen. Clyde signed Andy Murdoch on loan I noticed. He would’ve been perfect, just something..

Again I think everyone looked better when we went with 2 up. Spalding was a man down today, again he’s a young lad with very little games it’s going to happen but McIntyre should’ve had that changed as soon as he possibly could’ve.

I actually couldn’t see Coulson and Gallagher on the pitch at the start of half time and group I was with all thought both were coming on. Thought fair play McIntyre but they both come out after 5 minutes. Maybe he’d told them they’d be coming on at x minute I don’t know. 

There is some really good players there in the group we’ve got which is good but I think it was a poor poor day for McIntyre and a wee step back for Slater, Callaghan, Bisland and Wilkie.

Bisland can be way too casual at times and Wilkie has the opposite problem where he treats it like a hot tattie. They have shown plenty of promising signs up until this point so just hope it was a bad day at the office. 

Even Innes Murray was a big disappointment after I thought he’d had a great pre season etc. 

Got to go Stewart and Coulson as wide men next week and Gallagher and Reilly up top from the start. Gold into centre mid too if he’s ok. A win is a must (not for Arbroath or our season but for the manager). 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

3 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Forfar fans had Slater as one of their top players they have had over the years before he came here but I have no idea what his strengths actually are. 

To be fair, some of us felt he wasn’t really that great and his insistence on passing backwards left a lot to be desired.

I was really disappointed in Arbroath today. Having been relagated from the Championship I expected so much more and an away win if I’m being entirely honest. 

If I recall correctly the only shot on target was the free kick in injury time ? Your subs did make a big difference however Stenny were up 2-0 at that point.

A most welcome 3 points to start us off and on to Kelty next weekend.