The Arbroath Thread

2 minutes ago, A.K. Barr said:

does anyone know how many years Robertson’s supplied for? Definitely have in all my time. 

17 years apparently 

It's quite simple.

Our current board aren't in sync with the feelings of the Arbroath support for one simple reason.

They aren't Arbroath supporters (Gary Callon aside).

Ergo, decisions are not made with the fans interests at heart - it is either bottom line or personal gain.

For me I think you can add this to a very long list of things that are only getting talked about or is being made an issue of because the team are doing and have been doing so bad on the park for a very long time now 

The day where we are a semi competent football team who does not get beat every single Saturday and things like who supplies fkn pies to the club are not an issue cannot be too far away surely. I mean football is all peaks and troughs supporting clubs at this level but it’s been a fair old while we’ve been at a low with no sign of any positive upward trend 

On 20/07/2024 at 19:43, ExiledLichtie said:

Is there any absurdity our fanbase won't swallow? 

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

For me I think you can add this to a very long list of things that are only getting talked about or is being made an issue of because the team are doing and have been doing so bad on the park for a very long time now 

The day where we are a semi competent football team who does not get beat every single Saturday and things like who supplies fkn pies to the club are not an issue cannot be too far away surely. I mean football is all peaks and troughs supporting clubs at this level but it’s been a fair old while we’ve been at a low with no sign of any positive upward trend 

26 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Like it or not, with the clubs relegation and less money coming in from prize money, ticket sales, hospitality then the club needs to find other sources of revenue.

This deal might help fund a wage for another player.

🙄

2 minutes ago, glasgowlichtie23 said:

Wtf 😂 All pie posts are gone 

Probably cuz all the negatives comments,

Like said before anything that's happening off pitch will be toxic due to how bad things have been on the pitch,

I personally don't like all the changes that have happened off the pitch in the last few years and think something has to happen to get a connection back with fans

Social media is generally toxic.

You can disagree with the decision to outsource the catering but to have so many negative comments about another local company that are supporting the club was not appropriate for that post.

13 minutes ago, lichtiekev said:

Probably cuz all the negatives comments,

Like said before anything that's happening off pitch will be toxic due to how bad things have been on the pitch,

I personally don't like all the changes that have happened off the pitch in the last few years and think something has to happen to get a connection back with fans

I think this is why the SLO posts have been set up to try and bridge the gap a bit.

Like what has been said above if the results turn then so will the general feeling of the support.

I actually feel really bad for Pie Bob's, they didnt deserve that kind of reaction.  They're an Arbroath business, and they'll be devastated at the reaction.

They aren't bad pies.  They're just pies.  They just arent special award winning pies that have supplied the club for decades and that visitors make a special effort to try.

8 minutes ago, lichtiemike said:

For the avoidance of doubt, this would’ve been a very unpopular decision even if we were flying on the pitch, for folk to suggest otherwise is just daft. 

I think you are correct but it wouldn't have been so toxic.

DH Robertson are a fantastic butcher and make great pies but can understand why they wanted to remain a supplier rather than run the catering.

I think with Pie Bobs offering a wider variety of produce such cakes, tray bakes, biscuits etc it may suit some fans that aren't interested in the traditional pie and are probably more suited to do the outsourcing of the catering once that was the route the club chose to go down.

Just now, ExiledLichtie said:

I actually feel really bad for Pie Bob's, they didnt deserve that kind of reaction.  They're an Arbroath business, and they'll be devastated at the reaction.

They aren't bad pies.  They're just pies.  They just arent special award winning pies that have supplied the club for decades and that visitors make a special effort to try.

That’s my take on this too. Pie Bob’s will be upset and also furious at the pretty much universally negative reaction to this. It’s not their fault and I wouldn’t be surprised if they pull the plug on the whole thing and leave us with nothing. In the modern world, a companies online reputation is incredibly important.

Ultimately whoever made the decision to outsource the pie stalls in the first place is responsible for this. Perhaps the intention all along was to stick with Robertsons but with them showing no interest in the new approach, it meant the club had to look elsewhere. Another local, established business stepping in was probably seen as a great option.

If it ain’t broke….

2 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Its not that Pie Bobs are bad pies, they're fine.  They're just not special.   They aren't the sort of pies that people will make an effort to seek out and try.  It seems a bit tone deaf.  Like, I don't think people really cared about our stadium name.  Our stands and enclosures didn't have names (apart from switchie and harbour), so no big deal getting some revenue there.  Having more sponsors on our shirts is just the modern way, so that's fine.  But I think as a club we were proud of our steak and black pies, and taking this away to chase some money seems totally tone deaf.

Robertson's are award winning

Seems to be all decisions being made are bad ones. Proper fans and good people being moved on and all being reacted to negatively. I get we are trying to progress but all these changes in last year or so haven’t been well received or good at all. Everything it seem to be for finical reasons these days. 

3 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

If it’s any consolation to Pie Bobs, I’ve got my football teams smoker on Saturday and I can guarantee at least half of us will end up at pie bobs come 2.30am on Sunday.

Probably not as I'm sure they close at midnight now.