The Arbroath Thread

Missed the first half but arrived so positive thinking what a chance we have with win behind our back, to watch that utter shambles, side to side ans absolutely zero attempts or urgency, completely lost 90% of the support who again turned up in good numbers, the result was awful but the performance was worse,

Has to go, should of went last season but now he has to go

I really don’t understand why we are so poor. We have decent players for this league - apart from maybe in midfield, but that performance was woeful. Ponderous, lacking in energy and urgency. I know we can — and should - blame the manager, but does he really tell them to go out and be passive and slow?

I'll keep it simple..... Somehow we managed to play worse as the game wore on, and as it became easier for us we made it harder for ourselves....

First half = good. We were positive in our approach, created more chances and had more of the ball, as well as having 4/5 attempts on the goal all while playing against the wind. We got the ball out wide plenty and took the man on.

Second half = With the wind and then against 10 men for the last hour an hour, we somehow created less and were less positive in taking a man on than in the first half. Our wide men had to take a man on, and our full backs had to be overlapping and offering options to give the winger space. I've no issue with holding the ball and waiting for an opportunity to open up, but there were plenty of times Reilly/ Gallagher gave good options both into feet and in behind and the ball went sideways instead of using the opportunity, which meant we just kept it and didn't do anything with it. There was a lot of talking between the two forwards and the midfield, and hopefully an understanding will develop once they get a chance to play together week in week out.

We were never really under any sort of pressure and controlled the game throughout, but didn't do anything with it. We can't be one dimensional and simply have a 'give the ball to Callaghan and he'll open it up' plan, there has to be much more in terms of creating chances. I shall also take this opportunity to doff my hat to Mr Ecto, who has banged on about a lack of creativity in the centre of the park for months/ potentially years now, and the man has been proven to be absolutely bang on the money.

Folk acting like we lost 4/5 nil today. Just daft.

We were by far the better team today. Overall controlled play before and after the red card. Once they went down to 10 they just sat back and we found it hard to break down. 

More of an attacking threat in the first half playing into the wind but struggled with the wind the second half. Just couldnt adjust to the pace of the ball. 

At no point did I feel we were going to lose today. Just needed to play a bit smarter in the final third. Getting Gallagher up to match fitness and sharpness will make a big difference up top. He looked a tad sluggish with a number of bad touches.

2 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

We were never really under any sort of pressure and controlled the game throughout, but didn't do anything with it. We can't be one dimensional and simply have a 'give the ball to Callaghan and he'll open it up' plan, there has to be much more in terms of creating chances. I shall also take this opportunity to doff my hat to Mr Ecto, who has banged on about a lack of creativity in the centre of the park for months/ potentially years now, and the man has been proven to be absolutely bang on the money.

Take no pleasure in being proved correct, hope Jim has noticed 

Edited by ecto

Pass marks in the first half against the wind, awful 2nd half and montrose could have gone down to 8 men and would have been comfortable, dont remember testing the keeper.

My main worry as its always been under mcintyre is that we have no identity, no style of play. Dont think Jim knows what he’s doing and although we have a decent squad im not sure what the players know what they’re meant to be doing either.

29 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

We were by far the better team today. Overall controlled play before and after the red card. Once they went down to 10 they just sat back and we found it hard to break down. 

More of an attacking threat in the first half playing into the wind but struggled with the wind the second half. Just couldnt adjust to the pace of the ball. 

At no point did I feel we were going to lose today. Just needed to play a bit smarter in the final third. Getting Gallagher up to match fitness and sharpness will make a big difference up top. He looked a tad sluggish with a number of bad touches.

Not losing much isn’t exactly aspirational. How many goals have we scored in 6 competitive games this season? 2. How many matches have we won in the Lat 25? 2. 

Second half pathetic, playing with the wind behind us, the sun in the keepers face and 10men and we continually played it square across the back. 

This must have been to McIntyre's instructions if it was not then why did he not shout to the players to get it forward. 

Certainly need a good midfielder as Slater is not the answer. 

As far as I am concerned McIntyre should walk now or be sacked. 

Beginning to think is it worth the 150 mile round trip to watch that crap. 

44 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Is there anything at all you won't defend?

Really wasn’t impressed at all today that’s the first game I’ve seen us play this season. Was looking forward to seeing the 442 he promised with 2 actual strikers in the pitch. But like others have said I didn’t really see a tactic or style or what we were trying to achieve. 

really wasn’t impressed with callachan or slater hope we sign a good central midfielder. Murray coming central far too often didn’t help. Think Gallagher would be the better option playing on the last defender and Reilly coming deeper. 

and what’s with the pie hut and other toilets being closed took an age at the pie shop plus you can’t see the game

46 minutes ago, glasgowlichtie23 said:

Guy would be happy if we drew every game / lost every game 1-0 just because it wasn’t 4 or 5

Couldnt be further from the truth.

Of course i want us to win every game but football is not like that. Sometime results and performances just dont go your way.

It is all about looking at things in perspective and not having a hissy fit.

Today was a frustrating game but it was an improvement on last season. We kept possession of the ball, didnt lump it up the park every time a defender got it., got the ball to feet and had some good plays, especially in the first half.

Second half the wind made long passes and crosses a bit haphazard with quite a few players strugging to take into account how much faster the ball would go. This also led to poor touches too.

We all know what games are like in blustery conditions at Gayfield. Many of them have been very poor games to watch and low scoring at that. Anyone expecting us to somehow master the elements (which to be honest we never have) and run away with this game is delusional. 

And Montrose organised themselves quite well once they went down to 10 to limit the space for our attackers. But we certainly do lack a creative player in the middle to help unlock defences. I believe Slater was brought in to be that but has been next to hopeless in that regard. Ideally he would be moved on and a replacement brought in.

3 minutes ago, SmokeyJoe said:

Really wasn’t impressed at all today that’s the first game I’ve seen us play this season. Was looking forward to seeing the 442 he promised with 2 actual strikers in the pitch. But like others have said I didn’t really see a tactic or style or what we were trying to achieve. 

really wasn’t impressed with callachan or slater hope we sign a good central midfielder. Murray coming central far too often didn’t help. Think Gallagher would be the better option playing on the last defender and Reilly coming deeper. 

and what’s with the pie hut and other toilets being closed took an age at the pie shop plus you can’t see the game

Pie hut shut as its doesnt bring in enough revenue to operate.

And the temporary toilets have been closed as they were costing the club to operate and empty every month. And to connect it to the sewer network was going to cost a small fortune hence the reason to close them.

4 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Pie hut shut as its doesnt bring in enough revenue to operate.

And the temporary toilets have been closed as they were costing the club to operate and empty every month. And to connect it to the sewer network was going to cost a small fortune hence the reason to close them.

Pie hut in corner was always busy at games last year. Poor decision imo folk don’t want miss chunks of the game waiting in a queue 

52 minutes ago, SmokeyJoe said:

Pie hut in corner was always busy at games last year. Poor decision imo folk don’t want miss chunks of the game waiting in a queue 

It was a bit embarrassing.  We have all that branding, sponsorship, we had a big crowd in, Montrose brought along some healthy numbers, and we were greeted with closed toilets and our iconic pie huts being shut.  It all felt a bit tin pot.  Especially after Piegate this week.  Never have our pies been so talked about!  And yet, the huts were closed, and the queue was long enough that people were probably not bothering.

The club should come out and say they are backing the manager if that’s the case. We are not turning our fortunes around with him in charge. Desperately want him to succeed but we are god awful. Staring a relegation battle in the face if things don’t change soon.

38 minutes ago, A.K. Barr said:

The club should come out and say they are backing the manager if that’s the case. We are not turning our fortunes around with him in charge. Desperately want him to succeed but we are god awful. Staring a relegation battle in the face if things don’t change soon.

Facing another relegation battle with JMac in charge I fear.