The Arbroath Thread

2 minutes ago, SmokeyJoe said:

Tam courts will get that gig 

even so, if Thomson is in a full time job in football, he won’t leave it to become our manager, but you can still poke the other 3

This “who else is there?” attitude is mental. I’m sure pretty much anyone else would do a better job than McIntyre with the resources available.

Who here has ever worked in a job where they’ve kept on an employee who has been blatantly atrocious at their job just because they’re worried that they won’t get anyone else more capable?

Obviously, everyone needs to be given a fair crack at the whip to prove their worth but like any other job, you hire and fire until you get the right person.

2 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I remember Barry Sellars doing that too against Dumbarton!! Absolute thunderb*****d of a strike

I think that would be Saturday August 15th 2009 when we lost 3-1 at Gayfield in a League match.  Our keeper that day Michael White won't care to remember that goal 😱.

Edited by O'Kelly Isley III

18 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

This “who else is there?” attitude is mental. I’m sure pretty much anyone else would do a better job than McIntyre with the resources available.

Who here has ever worked in a job where they’ve kept on an employee who has been blatantly atrocious at their job just because they’re worried that they won’t get anyone else more capable?

Obviously, everyone needs to be given a fair crack at the whip to prove their worth but like any other job, you hire and fire until you get the right person.

That was not the point of my post - just a genuine question over who the other candidates may end up being 

Also when it comes to a lot of these guys sometimes jobs and people involved at clubs just suit them and sometimes it doesn’t so wouldn’t automatically rule out or write anybody off purely based on x that happened at x club 

There is work to be done for sure especially in middle of park but we’ve got a good group of boys there that would be very appealing to anyone coming in

12 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

That was not the point of my post - just a genuine question over who the other candidates may end up being 

Also when it comes to a lot of these guys sometimes jobs and people involved at clubs just suit them and sometimes it doesn’t so wouldn’t automatically rule out or write anybody off purely based on x that happened at x club 

There is work to be done for sure especially in middle of park but we’ve got a good group of boys there that would be very appealing to anyone coming in

Scottish football rarely looks outside the box, it’s the same names get quoted for all the jobs, what I would like is someone, newly retired, has taken a job, outside the game, looking for a start, new ideas

1 hour ago, ecto said:

Scottish football rarely looks outside the box, it’s the same names get quoted for all the jobs, what I would like is someone, newly retired, has taken a job, outside the game, looking for a start, new ideas

I’m 70. Retired a few years ago. No experience in football but lots of management experience. I’m up for it. 😂😂😂 No? You can be my assistant Ecto. 

Edited by TheRoundO

57 minutes ago, TheRoundO said:

I’m 70. Retired a few years ago. No experience in football but lots of management experience. I’m up for it. 😂😂😂 No?

Retired from the game, should have been clearer 😂😂😂

8 hours ago, 36-0 Maroon said:

Dougie Imrie or Ian Murray for me 🇱🇻⚽🔥🙌🤩🥳

Not a hope in hell either would be interested, especially not Ian Murray, would be a humongous step backwards when his stock will be really high at the minute 

8 hours ago, 36-0 Maroon said:

Dougie Imrie or Ian Murray for me 🇱🇻⚽🔥🙌🤩🥳

Won’t be Murray, he’ll probably replace Imrie at Morton

We're not going to get a full time manager unless he's desperate and on the way down after a string of failed full time gigs.  Dougie Imrie has done an excellent job at Morton, and Ian Murray will have caught the eye at Raith.  No chance of a manager like that.

We need someone who knows part time football, who accepts the limitations of not being able to work with a squad every day, and preferably someone who has done it before.   Darren Young and Stuart Petrie are the obvious shouts to me.

TASC BUS - DUMBARTON (24/08/24)

TASC are running a bus to our Lichties William Hill League 1 game against Dumbarton at The Marbill Coaches Stadium on Saturday the 24th of August. The bus departure time will be announced ASAP

Prices 

Adult Member (18+) - £15 

Junior Member (12-17) - £15

Under 12s - £5

Non Members - £20

To book a seat pop over to our Facebook or Twitter/X pages

IMG_2908.jpeg

You would like to think there was plenty interest when the job does come up,

Ex players who have retired and want to start there career in coaching, or the likes of Young that have been mentioned, 

It's frightening how bad McIntyre's record has been, there has been plenty things go wrong but Saturday was just so bad when finally you had things go in your favour, 

Edited by lichtiekev

As Iv just said on the kelty match thread I’m trying to take the positives out of Saturday. We were impressive in the first half against a very strong wind. We kept a clean sheet. And we got more minutes into the strikers legs who missed a chunk of pre season. 

I see Preston have sacked their manager Ryan Lowe after one solitary league game.

Despite keeping them safely in the English Championship for the past three seasons they never saw enough of an improvement on last season so made an early decisive decision. I imagine this is to give a new manager as much time as possible to turn things round.

I’ve said this many times - I’m all for giving a manager a fair crack at the whip but I don’t believe there’s a team anywhere, at any level that would continue to back a manager with such an abysmal record.

I honestly think there's an element of smug superiority from some on here.  "We dont make knee jerk decisions, we back our managers, because we are better fans than everyone else.  The club are backing him, so we are backing him too.  We won't make a scene, because we are better fans than anyone else".

There's no other explanation I can think of as to why some of our fans have been as obstinately patient as they have.  Many other clubs would have had mass boycotts by now.