The Arbroath Thread

43 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Is he?

I heard Dick Campbell speak at a Dinner earlier this year. I was really looking forward to it. He comes across well on the radio with his stories and I've been in his company on occasions also and he's a great storyteller, albeit swearing every 4th word or so. I thought he'd have been perfect for after dinner speaking but it was dreadful. He lost the room within 5 minutes and people were just talking to each other across him. It wasn't long after he'd left Arbroath and I assumed it was maybe his first go at that environment while he wasn't managing. Maybe he just had a bad night though.

He was - but Dick Campbells age has really caught up with him which is understandable too cause he’s getting on 

The very first game Dick managed at home he come into the pub in the ground (Redcastle Suite now) and talked away to everyone 

All his hospitality appearances genuinely very good even if you’re no mad for his type of patter - I hadn’t been to hospitality for a couple of year but managed to go for the last game of the 22/23 season at home to Hamilton the night we stayed up and the exact same happened

Dick completely lost the room and everyone was kind of looking at each other thinking wtf is he on about. Just rambling on and making zero sense 

Think the Kilmarnock game and that season really took a lot out of him, Arbroath were the talk of Scottish Football for a wee while and Dick was the poster boy for us.

I personally feel like he’s maybe just gotten a bit too old and it’ll take him a wee while to realise it. He will never give it up though 

You are correct in regards to this one simple thing - nobody would be moaning about the vast majority of things they are moaning about if we were getting results on the park… 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

37 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Mind when McGlashan came over to speak to fans after being bombarded with abuse and he had to be dragged away as he had enough.

Was that away to east Fife? I’m sure we lost to 9 men that day 

47 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

I am not surprised McIntyre has not spent much time coming over to see the fans. You know as well as I do what sort of abuse he would face. Cant blame him for not wanting to deal with that sort of shit.

Mind when McGlashan came over to speak to fans after being bombarded with abuse and he had to be dragged away as he had enough.

I remember one game at Gayfield when McGlashan marched over to one guy who had been giving him abuse all game (he was standing at the side along from the stand) and telling him to support the team instead of shouting at him. The guy spent the rest of the game applauding everything the team was doing 🤣

20 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

You are correct in regards to this one simple thing - nobody would be moaning about the vast majority of things they are moaning about if we were getting results on the park… 

Generally agreed.  I don't include piegate in that list, but a lot of other stuff, I definitely agree.  Mind puntergate last season?  Now that was embarrassing!

37 minutes ago, keptie said:

I remember one game at Gayfield when McGlashan marched over to one guy who had been giving him abuse all game (he was standing at the side along from the stand) and telling him to support the team instead of shouting at him. The guy spent the rest of the game applauding everything the team was doing 🤣

Don’t think McGlashan was there much longer

8 minutes ago, ecto said:

Don’t think McGlashan was there much longer

No, managers come and go but that supporter is still their every week. Wasn't you was it 😀

2 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Was that away to east Fife? I’m sure we lost to 9 men that day 

It was a home game, cant mind who against but It was near the end of his tenure. Just mid him getting dogs abuse from folk at the side. At full time he walked down the pitch side to speak to them only for things to go tits up. Plenty of verbals back and forth.

4 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I've been involved in football to at least some extent for about 30 years and I've been in hospitality home and away many a time. I don't think I've ever seen a manager in hospitality before or after a game. Usually some sort of club ambassador, a retired 'great' or occasionally injured players. Some clubs send the Man of the Match to collect awards in hospitality. Never seen a manager. Up to each individual club of course what they want from their manager but the idea that it's "part of his job" to come speak to inevitably drunk fans after a game, particularly if it didn't go well, seems bizarre to me. I'm not seeing many a scenario where that doesn't end badly.

So ... I'm clearly no expert on this subject as in my 50 years of watching fitba I've only ever been to hospitality once and that was at the invite of a Morton fan (work pal) at Cappielow.  Jim Duffy was manager of Morton then and he came into the hospitality bar with the player of the match Tam O'Ware (I think) at the end of the match.  Duffy spoke well, was fair to both sides (Queens lost of course) and took questions.  It wasn't a drunken rammy by any means - I was driving so hadn't had a drink anyway.  I was the only Queens fan in there and the Morton folk were great to me and one of their directors sat down with me for a chat.  Enjoyed the day but not the result, obviously.

22 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

So ... I'm clearly no expert on this subject as in my 50 years of watching fitba I've only ever been to hospitality once and that was at the invite of a Morton fan (work pal) at Cappielow.  Jim Duffy was manager of Morton then and he came into the hospitality bar with the player of the match Tam O'Ware (I think) at the end of the match.  Duffy spoke well, was fair to both sides (Queens lost of course) and took questions. 

😄 There was bound to be one exception!

I'm not saying managers never go to hospitality. Perhaps some do, perhaps some want to. Dick Campbell clearly did. I'm sure it was a lot easier to do after a win though. The idea that it is part of their job to go to hospitality after all games though seems to be asking for trouble to me. If a club wants to make that a thing though that's of course up to them. Presumably Arbroath haven't or he'd be doing it.

20 hours ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

Well spotted kenwood65 totally forgot about John Brownlie.

I just checked and he stays central belt roughly 1 hour from Gayfield although he was born in North Lanarkshire.

Everybody to their own but my personal choice would be to have a local Manager that could easily interact with the fans and local clubs and businesses hence i think "staying within 1 hour of Gayfield" is a good starting point (obviously he has to be a good Manager as well).

Heard from folk who were at the recent AFC Golf Outing that JMc never went back to the prize awards and going by reports he was not in the Hospo after Saturday's game, now some fans might not be concerned about that but in my book you would EXPECT AFC's Manager to give up some of his time to talk to the clubs fans and sponsors.  

You really are an idiot.  Please don't post any more rubbish. 

I'm in no way defending McIntyre, but to be honest, there is no way I would be going anywhere near a drink fueled room full of Arbroath fans if I was him.

Edited by Hayshead2

3 hours ago, keptie said:

No, managers come and go but that supporter is still their every week. Wasn't you was it 😀

Jeezy peeps!, no but did see it happening 

The biggest argument for getting rid of McIntyre is to restore sanity.  Just in the last few days we've had:

You aren't a proper fan unless you have a season ticket, so you should not be consulted on club decisions.  Season tickets only, regardless of how you contribute to the club.

Criticisms from people who (presumably) do not have a DD11 postcode are not valid because they aren't local enough.  Don't live in the town?  Your opinion is irrelevant.

Managers should live within a geographic circle of Arbroath.  In the case of any uncertainty google maps should be used to check travel times.

Its all gone a bit League of Gentlemen.  A local club for local people.  We desperately need a new manager and a clean slate.

Just to add to the "managers in hospitality" discussion that's burning up this thread, I've seen it on four different occasions: Dick Campbell at Arbroath, Kevin Rutkiewicz at Stirling Albion, James McPake at Dunfermline Athletic and Stewart Petrie at Montrose. Rutkiewicz and McPake addressed the patrons before the match; Campbell and Petrie spoke afterwards.

I thought it was a fairly common occurrence! No wonder this mob want Jim McIntyre hunted!

I missed the end of last season will probably miss most of this season due to family circumstances so I can't comment on how things have gone on the pitch. Badly obviously, but here we are at the start of a new season with virtually a new team who have only played a handful of games together and have limited time together on training evenings to get to know the way the manager wants the game to be played. Yet it seems that many supporters seem to think that we should run away with the league. Maybe too many play fantasy football on their phones and games consoles, but in the real world, to quote Jimmy Greaves, "it's a funny old game." No club, AFC included, have a right to be in the Championship or win every game they play. Not every club that has been relegated bounce straight back up, just have a look at the clubs that are in League 1.

Personally I think we will come good, the majority seem to think we have players good enough to compete in League 1. Every team has a bad patch during the season, best to have it at the start of the season rather than have a dip in form half way through. So I expect us to finish in the top four with the players and manager that we have although I won't be there to cheer them on

35 minutes ago, SotesBornalichtie said:

I missed the end of last season will probably miss most of this season due to family circumstances so I can't comment on how things have gone on the pitch. Badly obviously, but here we are at the start of a new season with virtually a new team who have only played a handful of games together and have limited time together on training evenings to get to know the way the manager wants the game to be played. Yet it seems that many supporters seem to think that we should run away with the league. Maybe too many play fantasy football on their phones and games consoles, but in the real world, to quote Jimmy Greaves, "it's a funny old game." No club, AFC included, have a right to be in the Championship or win every game they play. Not every club that has been relegated bounce straight back up, just have a look at the clubs that are in League 1.

Personally I think we will come good, the majority seem to think we have players good enough to compete in League 1. Every team has a bad patch during the season, best to have it at the start of the season rather than have a dip in form half way through. So I expect us to finish in the top four with the players and manager that we have although I won't be there to cheer them on

Oi. Dont you know sensible posts in this thread are frowned upon. How dare you waltz in here and be calm and reasonable.