The Arbroath Thread

4 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

If he hadn't been punted, you would have been on here saying that the team was in transition, it was too early to judge, and there were positive signs.  And likely would have blamed the fans for creating a negative attitude that was making our players lose their composure.  You know the same things you've spent the last 6 months saying.

image.thumb.png.f7d2e806a9054c012e6cbba1f6d2923a.png

image.png.eee7e99c124fdaf927b6eca15e67dfea.png

:lol: 

5 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

What’s done is done and it’s all in the past now.

My first game of the season is on 31st - a new beginning.

Indeed,  Looks like I got one prediction wrong!

On 06/05/2024 at 18:16, ExiledLichtie said:

Another good signing, can't wait till our season starts in October!

Thought our shape was terrible from start Callaghan in the middle of the park alone gold to high up resulting in defence being unprotected because Callaghan is a shitebag who can’t tackle, get stuck in or even challenge a 50/50 ( must bee too scared to get his white boots dirty or his hair to be out of place) Could see in the first half that was happening how it took him so long to do anything baffled me 

It was a Terrible appointment and he should not have been given the summer, a big waste of time and money.

The criticism of Callaghan seems over the top, he’s not started the season that well but neither has anyone realy. 

14 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

It was a Terrible appointment and he should not have been given the summer, a big waste of time and money.

The criticism of Callaghan seems over the top, he’s not started the season that well but neither has anyone realy. 

You are probably right about the criticism of Callaghan, he’s been placed in this position, by an incompetent manager, no way did Callaghan came here expecting to be the “main man”, never been that, ever in his career

45 minutes ago, ecto said:

You are probably right about the criticism of Callaghan, he’s been placed in this position, by an incompetent manager, no way did Callaghan came here expecting to be the “main man”, never been that, ever in his career

In his signing interview he did mention about wanting to play every week etc and heard he’s on a good wage too, plus getting the number 8 jersey kind of makes me think that McIntyre plan all along was to have him as our Quarterback type player in this system he’s set up 

Also would kind of say he has actually been that bad that goal yesterday was coming, there had been a few times where he’d got very lucky. Also takes absolutely forever to make a pass and is towing a caravan when teams are coming at us. Big laddie too but cannot seem to impose himself on anyone or make a tackle 

It will be interesting to see what happens from here cause I know Hammy and Gold are the two that’s in charge if you like but ToB, Scotty Stewart and Dow etc will all be having a big say in what they think should be happening you’d have to imagine. 

My thinking is thus. The Campbells ran more than just the team on the pitch. The club as a whole has been scrabbling since they left and the holes are very much exposed. There was much resting on laurels that we were now a 'big club' and a feeling of 'we will be alright' to the point of arrogance.

We are not alright. We are a mess on the pitch, the Boardroom sounds shaky, and on the terraces the youngsters have vanished.

Yes, we have some nice infrastructure but the eye has been taken off the ball, becoming involved with women's teams, community events etc and less focus on football from the men's first (and only) team. That balance needs to be restored, and quickly.

8 minutes ago, tomato soup said:

My thinking is thus. The Campbells ran more than just the team on the pitch. The club as a whole has been scrabbling since they left and the holes are very much exposed. There was much resting on laurels that we were now a 'big club' and a feeling of 'we will be alright' to the point of arrogance.

We are not alright. We are a mess on the pitch, the Boardroom sounds shaky, and on the terraces the youngsters have vanished.

Yes, we have some nice infrastructure but the eye has been taken off the ball, becoming involved with women's teams, community events etc and less focus on football from the men's first (and only) team. That balance needs to be restored, and quickly.

Hard to argue with much of this

7 minutes ago, tomato soup said:

I don’t think the youngsters have vanished at all - still fkn hunners of bairns running about they’ll no be caring about the football too much. Some adults definitely stayed away with McIntyre though, seen a few people say they’re buying their season tickets after news yesterday. 1k plus yesterday with a record like ours still really good

But you’re right aye need to get full focus back on what actually matters, the men’s first team on the park, all the buzzwords don’t matter a f**k either when clubs maybe focusing too much on other things. Lost a lot of our personality ironically since we started banging on about #togetherness

Next appointment big for many reasons 

This will likely be contentious, but here goes.  I think one of our big problems currently is lack of leaders on the pitch.  You would normally expect your captain to be one but, although Thomas is (was?) a standout player (currently prone to "heid's gone" moments in almost every match) I've never seen him as a leader.  

Ricky was a leader.  Maybe Bobby and Gaston, certainly Nicky Low, but who are the others?  Goldie is in his testimonial year but he's never been a guaranteed starter.  Scott Stewart leads by example but doesn't seem at all vocal.  Hammy much the same.  It was noticeable that we absolutely collapsed after the first goal yesterday and everyone was staring at their boots.

Maybe it's time for our much hyped experienced strikers or Keith Watson to roll up their sleeves and take some responsibility.  I know that's difficult when you've just arrived at a club.

Edited by TheRoundO

33 minutes ago, TheRoundO said:

This will likely be contentious, but here goes.  I think one of our big problems currently is lack of leaders on the pitch.  You would normally expect your captain to be one but, although Thomas is (was?) a standout player (currently prone to "heid's gone" moments in almost every match) I've never seen him as a leader.  

Ricky was a leader.  Maybe Bobby and Gaston, certainly Nicky Low, but who are the others?  Goldie is in his testimonial year but he's never been a guaranteed starter.  Scott Stewart leads by example but doesn't seem at all vocal.  Hammy much the same.  It was noticeable that we absolutely collapsed after the first goal yesterday and everyone was staring at their boots.

Maybe it's time for our much hyped experienced strikers or Keith Watson to roll up their sleeves and take some responsibility.  I know that's difficult when you've just arrived at a club.

You don’t think Hammy is or was vocal? 

At the Bonnyrigg game when you were basically standing on the park - the teams extremely vocal, especially Tam

Bobby, Gaston and Ricky all been at the club through this slump, 2 of them left just 3 months ago 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

56 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

You don’t think Hammy is or was vocal? 

At the Bonnyrigg game when you were basically standing on the park - the teams extremely vocal, especially Tam

Bobby, Gaston and Ricky all been at the club through this slump, 2 of them left just 3 months ago 

I’ll hold my hands up and say that because of where I live I watch most matches on a live stream, so maybe I am missing the players’ vocals. You tell me - do we have anyone who really takes control on the pitch and sorts things out when it’s going wrong?

2 hours ago, tomato soup said:

Not sure the community trust or women's team has impacted the focus on the men's team. They both operate independently.

I can't see that having either of these things has impacted the first team in any way and if anything has probably helped generate bigger crowds than having any negative impact.

Just now, TheRoundO said:

I’ll hold my hands up and say that because of where I live I watch most matches on a live stream, so maybe I am missing the players’ vocals. You tell me - do we have anyone who really takes control on the pitch and sorts things out when it’s going wrong?

No but again I don’t think that’s because there are no leaders in the team I think it’s because it is quite clearly not working and the players know it. You can do whatever you want as a player and try to get a grip on the group but when they’ve been instructed to play a way that’s clearly not working or effective and everyone but your own manager can see it what can you do - I think there is plenty of experience and big voices in that changing room and I think it’s one of these things that is probably being over analysed because of the results 

I have been told some mental stories about Hammy (in a good way), sounds like a massive figure in the dressing room you would not want to mess with