The Arbroath Thread

Clock ticking and it's Friday morning. Folks playing stick with Hammy and Goldie? They have admirably picked up the baton but do we know that this is what they really want? 

Only other vaguely sensible names mentioned have been Darren Young, Jim McInally, Barry Robson and Charlie Mulgrew.

Perhaps more important is the team on the pitch. So loans can come in but are we really not making any other signings? What does this tell us? Thinking is we are ok with what he have, or we weren't prepped in terms of firing Jim and having a plan in place with two weeks of an open transfer window.

53 minutes ago, TheRoundO said:

Does deadline day apply to loans?  I’d expect one or two. Or at least hope. 

I'm sure one of the more knowledgeable will confirm, but I still think we have September to make loans.

On a side note, it's been quiet on here since we parted with McIntyre. Fans have obviously little to talk about now. 😂

7 hours ago, tomato soup said:

Only other vaguely sensible names mentioned have been Darren Young, Jim McInally, Barry Robson and Charlie Mulgrew.

Mulgrew was made Accies U18 manager not long ago wasn’t he? Doubt he’d come after only being there around a month 

Why on earth would we want someone like Mulgrew? What relevant experience does he have at this level?

Out of that list only Robson stands out for me but he probably wouldn’t be interested - unless he wants another crack at management and fancies going down the leagues to build a name again.

Young has a decent track record but then again McIntyre had some decent achievements on his cv too.

The most important thing is that we get this right. The board have proven that they will continue to back a manger waaaaaaayyy beyond the point where they should be catapulted into the North Sea. So get this wrong and things could be very depressing indeed in a few months time.

26 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Why on earth would we want someone like Mulgrew? What relevant experience does he have at this level?.

I'm not saying I'd welcome him as manager, but plenty on here have been asking for a name beyond "the usual suspects".  Also, I'd argue that a bit like Naismith, Mulgrew is a player who made the most of his talent.  I don't think he was naturally a great player, but he made it work.  I think players like that can often make better managers than elite players.  Actually, Darren Young probably fits in that category too!

Plus Mulgrew sometimes comes across as a total bam who would really irritate the opposition, and I can imagine him being someone that players would react well to.  Managerial appointments are often a reaction to the guy who comes before.  You have an intense details guy like Guardiola or Mourinho, and then after him, clubs appoint someone a bit more chill (Ancelotti, Hiddink).  You get rid of a long ball guy, you bring in a short passer.  We had the ultimate vibes manager in Campbell, so we brought in a "professional" wet blanket like McIntyre.  So it makes sense if the next guy is going to be someone that has a smile.

I'm still touting Darren Young, but wouldn't be opposed to giving Mulgrew a chance if he was interested and serious about it.  

Edited to clarify, I'm not saying we should appoint Mulgrew, but that I can understand the logic behind people suggesting it.

Edited by ExiledLichtie

7 hours ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

I'm sure one of the more knowledgeable will confirm, but I still think we have September to make loans.

On a side note, it's been quiet on here since we parted with McIntyre. Fans have obviously little to talk about now. 😂

Wouldn’t class myself as knowledgeable but it’s definitely the end of September for loans and possibly free agents too (?), which is all we’d be signing anyway 

Scottish Prem clubs will finish their business and assess where they’re at and then decide who they want to stick around or who they want out the door for game time 

In regards to managers I wouldn’t be against Mulgrew - everyone starts somewhere - plus side would be plenty of contacts in the top teams and respect from all the players for what he’s done in game - negative side is I imagine he’ll be pretty clueless about lower leagues and no experience as a gaffer

Everyone going to have their pros and cons - also wouldn’t be surprised to see it going to Goldie and Hammy.

MEET TOB & QUINN

We are delighted to announce that both Thomas O’Brien and Quinn Coulson will be coming across to Tutties following the game with Alloa Athletic tomorrow after they’ve finished with their club/media duties to meet and mingle with supporters 🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

IMG_3096.jpeg

1 hour ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I'm not saying I'd welcome him as manager, but plenty on here have been asking for a name beyond "the usual suspects".  Also, I'd argue that a bit like Naismith, Mulgrew is a player who made the most of his talent.  I don't think he was naturally a great player, but he made it work.  I think players like that can often make better managers than elite players.  Actually, Darren Young probably fits in that category too!

Plus Mulgrew sometimes comes across as a total bam who would really irritate the opposition, and I can imagine him being someone that players would react well to.  Managerial appointments are often a reaction to the guy who comes before.  You have an intense details guy like Guardiola or Mourinho, and then after him, clubs appoint someone a bit more chill (Ancelotti, Hiddink).  You get rid of a long ball guy, you bring in a short passer.  We had the ultimate vibes manager in Campbell, so we brought in a "professional" wet blanket like McIntyre.  So it makes sense if the next guy is going to be someone that has a smile.

I'm still touting Darren Young, but wouldn't be opposed to giving Mulgrew a chance if he was interested and serious about it.  

Edited to clarify, I'm not saying we should appoint Mulgrew, but that I can understand the logic behind people suggesting it.

I get what you’re saying and normally I would be quite open to giving a young inexperienced guy a punt - worked a treat with Sheerin after all.

However, I feel with the way we are at the moment, that a more experience head is what is needed. All we need this season imo is someone to steady the ship and move us out of danger. Who that could be though is another matter and some of the names being bandied about are depressing.

As things stand, I would be more than happy for Gold and Hamilton to continue, so long as there’s obvious and immediate improvement.

Edited by Tattie36

4 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Looks like we are making signings….

Last time we did this it was Isiaka and Tait etc!

In honesty I’ve heard of a young defender who you’d think would be cover for left hand side if it’s right 

Hope there’s a centre mid though, one that can tackle and run preferably