The Arbroath Thread

4 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

When played wide, he was always more of wide midfielder than a winger.  Thats why he didnt bomb forward or have as many shots as someone like Linn.  It worked for us as it gave us balance when we played someone more attacking like Linn or Hylton (or Hilson or Turan) on the other wing.

On occasions where McKenna was injured he did get a chance in the centre, and he always did well there, but obviously, you're always going to have McKenna there as first choice.

Clearly didn't work for us, we were guff for 2 seasons

6 minutes ago, keptie said:

Clearly didn't work for us, we were guff for 2 seasons

It would have been a bold call to drop McKenna and play Dow there instead.  I don't recall anyone calling for that.  McKenna would play wide on occasion but was never as effective there.  

I also note that last week we had people calling for Gallagher to play on the left, which I found very odd.

Anyway, be careful, you don't want to be accused of "negativity" by saying we weren't very good for the last couple of seasons.

So we’ve let Hemphrey go on loan to Clyde and signed McConnell as a backup keeper. Seems very sensible. Again I’m a bit nonplussed that I have to impersonate Sherlock Holmes to find this out. I do not use Facebook. No mention on WhatsApp, X or the club website. I’m sure the social media team are wonderful, but cmon lads. 

TASC SOCIAL MEDIA MAN OF THE MATCH - RESULT

Congratulations (again) to Scott Stewart on winning the TASC Social Media Man of the Match for his performance in our Lichties 2-0 win over Annan Athletic yesterday. Scottie continues his terrific form and picks up yet another man of the match award. It was such a great performance that 4 players received over 10 votes. Thanks to all who voted 🇱🇻

IMG_2448.jpeg

1 hour ago, TASC_1878 said:

TASC SOCIAL MEDIA MAN OF THE MATCH - RESULT

Congratulations (again) to Scott Stewart on winning the TASC Social Media Man of the Match for his performance in our Lichties 2-0 win over Annan Athletic yesterday. Scottie continues his terrific form and picks up yet another man of the match award. It was such a great performance that 4 players received over 10 votes. Thanks to all who voted 🇱🇻

IMG_2448.jpeg

Give him a ToB contract - hero 

2 hours ago, lichtiekev said:

Love McKenna, one of my favourite players, 

But he made a massive mistake moving to Falkirk, 

I get the feeling he would have stayed if he could, but I can't imagine he felt particularly valued at the club towards the end of last season...

Right folks, I've had an idea going through my head in the past few months that I'm hoping to get some input on from others and to begin to push things forward....

Essentially, I want to collate the memories of our fans into the one place. This could be something as simple as a website, a book ('Arbroath FC Post WW2 - As Told By The Fans') type thing or something in between.

If peoples memories are collated properly - then it should be possible to use them to do both of the above ideas and others all through having the one questionaire/ conversation type thing. Hypothetically, I could basically get 100 fans to answer 20 odd questions, if they are the right people and the right questions, then you get a huge spread of memories and answers relating to the club over the past 70 odd years.

The Arbroath Archive gives us the facts when it comes to our history, but it doesn't give us the first hand accounts of people who were there and who can potentially unlock stories/ memories/ things that haven't been recorded elsewhere. It simply doesn't record emotion, which is a huge part of being a football fan who supports a team through their entire life.

There's no point whatsoever in me creating something that I think is a good idea and with only my own input - it has to be something that would be wanted and enjoyed by others and it has to be thought through before starting out, which means getting ideas/ feedback from people outwith the voices in my own head ;) 

So.... give me your thoughts please, folks ;) Is there something in the above? Is a book a silly idea? Is collating peoples memories on AFC on some website online a waste of time? What sort of questions would you ask your own fans? If anyone thinks this sounds like the sort of project they could help out with, I'm also very open to that.... it'd be good to have someone with a bit of intelligence involved :lol: 

36 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

Right folks, I've had an idea going through my head in the past few months that I'm hoping to get some input on from others and to begin to push things forward....

Essentially, I want to collate the memories of our fans into the one place. This could be something as simple as a website, a book ('Arbroath FC Post WW2 - As Told By The Fans') type thing or something in between.

If peoples memories are collated properly - then it should be possible to use them to do both of the above ideas and others all through having the one questionaire/ conversation type thing. Hypothetically, I could basically get 100 fans to answer 20 odd questions, if they are the right people and the right questions, then you get a huge spread of memories and answers relating to the club over the past 70 odd years.

The Arbroath Archive gives us the facts when it comes to our history, but it doesn't give us the first hand accounts of people who were there and who can potentially unlock stories/ memories/ things that haven't been recorded elsewhere. It simply doesn't record emotion, which is a huge part of being a football fan who supports a team through their entire life.

There's no point whatsoever in me creating something that I think is a good idea and with only my own input - it has to be something that would be wanted and enjoyed by others and it has to be thought through before starting out, which means getting ideas/ feedback from people outwith the voices in my own head ;) 

So.... give me your thoughts please, folks ;) Is there something in the above? Is a book a silly idea? Is collating peoples memories on AFC on some website online a waste of time? What sort of questions would you ask your own fans? If anyone thinks this sounds like the sort of project they could help out with, I'm also very open to that.... it'd be good to have someone with a bit of intelligence involved :lol: 

sign me up

1 hour ago, SimonLichtie said:

Buzzing to reminiscence about losing 3-0 away to Berwick on a Tuesday night in Dicks first game in charge 

2 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

This sounds like a great idea, whatever form you end up doing this in I'd be happy to share some memories.

1 hour ago, lichtie23 said:

Buzzing to reminiscence about losing 3-0 away to Berwick on a Tuesday night in Dicks first game in charge 

Mine is watching us lose 1-0 to Berwick Rangers thanks to an Iain Diack goal for them to beat us to the title.