The Arbroath Thread

5 hours ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Mine is watching us lose 1-0 to Berwick Rangers thanks to an Iain Diack goal for them to beat us to the title. 

Mind that as well. And Berwick should have been down to 10. There big striker was already on a yellow then hand balled and was let off. 

12 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

Right folks, I've had an idea going through my head in the past few months that I'm hoping to get some input on from others and to begin to push things forward....

Essentially, I want to collate the memories of our fans into the one place. This could be something as simple as a website, a book ('Arbroath FC Post WW2 - As Told By The Fans') type thing or something in between.

If peoples memories are collated properly - then it should be possible to use them to do both of the above ideas and others all through having the one questionaire/ conversation type thing. Hypothetically, I could basically get 100 fans to answer 20 odd questions, if they are the right people and the right questions, then you get a huge spread of memories and answers relating to the club over the past 70 odd years.

The Arbroath Archive gives us the facts when it comes to our history, but it doesn't give us the first hand accounts of people who were there and who can potentially unlock stories/ memories/ things that haven't been recorded elsewhere. It simply doesn't record emotion, which is a huge part of being a football fan who supports a team through their entire life.

There's no point whatsoever in me creating something that I think is a good idea and with only my own input - it has to be something that would be wanted and enjoyed by others and it has to be thought through before starting out, which means getting ideas/ feedback from people outwith the voices in my own head ;) 

So.... give me your thoughts please, folks ;) Is there something in the above? Is a book a silly idea? Is collating peoples memories on AFC on some website online a waste of time? What sort of questions would you ask your own fans? If anyone thinks this sounds like the sort of project they could help out with, I'm also very open to that.... it'd be good to have someone with a bit of intelligence involved :lol: 

Sounds amazing mate 🇱🇻⚽🤩 Sign me up too 🙌🙌🙌

12 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

Right folks, I've had an idea going through my head in the past few months that I'm hoping to get some input on from others and to begin to push things forward....

Essentially, I want to collate the memories of our fans into the one place. This could be something as simple as a website, a book ('Arbroath FC Post WW2 - As Told By The Fans') type thing or something in between.

If peoples memories are collated properly - then it should be possible to use them to do both of the above ideas and others all through having the one questionaire/ conversation type thing. Hypothetically, I could basically get 100 fans to answer 20 odd questions, if they are the right people and the right questions, then you get a huge spread of memories and answers relating to the club over the past 70 odd years.

The Arbroath Archive gives us the facts when it comes to our history, but it doesn't give us the first hand accounts of people who were there and who can potentially unlock stories/ memories/ things that haven't been recorded elsewhere. It simply doesn't record emotion, which is a huge part of being a football fan who supports a team through their entire life.

There's no point whatsoever in me creating something that I think is a good idea and with only my own input - it has to be something that would be wanted and enjoyed by others and it has to be thought through before starting out, which means getting ideas/ feedback from people outwith the voices in my own head ;) 

So.... give me your thoughts please, folks ;) Is there something in the above? Is a book a silly idea? Is collating peoples memories on AFC on some website online a waste of time? What sort of questions would you ask your own fans? If anyone thinks this sounds like the sort of project they could help out with, I'm also very open to that.... it'd be good to have someone with a bit of intelligence involved :lol: 

Count me in Simon, good idea, Smokies & Wine 36-0.

On 23/09/2024 at 09:03, SimonLichtie said:

Awaiting @ExiledLichtie claiming this is a terrible idea as interviewing  Lichties only will lead to a biased perspective. 

On 23/09/2024 at 09:03, SimonLichtie said:

Great idea Simon. I’ll help where I can.

Evening all,

Happy to report that’s me back from Lochee having met Bobby Linn. What a gentleman, one of the loveliest guys I could’ve wished to ever have on the podcast. Cracking wee set up at Thomson’s Park if you haven’t seen it already.

That’s a man that loves your club alright, he got a wee bit emotional talking about the Killie and Caley Thistle games in particular. You’ll be interested to hear about his relationship with Dick, we even got his Arbroath 5-a-side in to finish it all off. All in all, one of the best chats I’ve had, really laid back but authentic. I hope you’re looking forward to it, I’ll share it here when it’s good to go!

1 minute ago, charliewheelen said:

Evening all,

Happy to report that’s me back from Lochee having met Bobby Linn. What a gentleman, one of the loveliest guys I could’ve wished to ever have on the podcast. Cracking wee set up at Thomson’s Park if you haven’t seen it already.

That’s a man that loves your club alright, he got a wee bit emotional talking about the Killie and Caley Thistle games in particular. You’ll be interested to hear about his relationship with Dick, we even got his Arbroath 5-a-side in to finish it all off. All in all, one of the best chats I’ve had, really laid back but authentic. I hope you’re looking forward to it, I’ll share it here when it’s good to go!

Looking forward to it 

9 hours ago, charliewheelen said:

Evening all,

Fair play and respect, don’t know if I’ve ever seen anyone go to the effort you have here after getting that kind of feedback - will definitely listen and also try and listen in on your other stuff too. 

@Francesc Fabregas used to have a cracking podcast called Tell Him He’s Pele where he done something similar so you can definitely do well with it. 

Best of luck to you and look forward to hearing what the main man Bobby has to say.