The Arbroath Thread

What the statistics don't show is the level of commitment and performance in recent games. There appears to be a very good spirit in the squad and an increasing level of resilience. To mess with the management now, when we look capable of climbing away from the trapdoor would be a very high risk strategy. How long would one of these big name players stick with us if we were struggling? Would any want to take on the rescue job? I really doubt it. We need to concentrate on bolstering the management and squad if we are to make progress.

I 110% agree with this. The commitment and effort shown from the side on Saturday was superb. Everyone putting in a great effort.

What the statistics don't show is the level of commitment and performance in recent games. There appears to be a very good spirit in the squad and an increasing level of resilience. To mess with the management now, when we look capable of climbing away from the trapdoor would be a very high risk strategy. How long would one of these big name players stick with us if we were struggling? Would any want to take on the rescue job? I really doubt it. We need to concentrate on bolstering the management and squad if we are to make progress.

The commitment has always been there, it always should be there, and the performances have been fantastic in fits and spells right the way through the season. The same 'we can now build on this and pull away from the bottom' stuff is getting said again just like it was 2 month ago. Cup next week and then a basement battle with Berwick in the league. If we lose that will people still be happy...?

The table doesn't lie, East Stirling are ahead of us after 14 games ffs. It's not good enough, I'd argue that anyone coming in will see it as a good opportunity as we surely cannot sink any lower. If we get beat next week we will see how many people bother to turn up at the Berwick game.

Unfortunately, IMO, too many minds were made up after that shambles at Stirling.

We shouldn't expect to beat Cowden this time. They play in a higher league, so a result would be a bonus.

We should expect to beat Berwick at Gayfield and if we don't then some serious questions will be asked.

I don't see the point in focusing on the second half at Stirling. It was disastrous but every team in every league has similar patches. Learn and move on, as we did.

Edited by timlichtie

We shouldn't expect to beat Cowden this time. They play in a higher league, so a result would be a bonus.

We should expect to beat Berwick at Gayfield and if we don't then some serious questions will be asked.

I don't see the point in focusing on the second half at Stirling. It was disastrous but every team in every league has similar patches. Learn and move on, as we did.

We're on the same points as Berwick, and in the last meeting we only got a point because of a goal in the last few minutes, it'll be a tough game.

The whole seasons been pretty disastrous apart from that 5 week spell we had where we looked like we were turning the corner.

After that it's been back to the way we started, brushed aside by Elgin playing extremely poorly (going by this site), drawn with East Fife, thanks to Fleming we weren't 4 down at half time, embarrassed by Stirling and then even after putting in what sounds like one of our best performances of the season we can only take a point at Annan.

I admire your optimism but I'm really struggling to see the light here. It feels exactly like it did at the start of Moores slump for me.

The Elgin game at home post match was exactly the same as the Annan one, the game we came from 3 down to draw 3-3, everybody was saying we still have passion/commitment etc and we had great spirit to come back from that situation etc etc.

Then the following 2 weeks we were comfortably beat by 9th and 10th.

Next few games are crucial, next 3 or 4. Simon was on here saying we needed 14 points minimum from the next 7 games before the East Fife game, well that's 2 points from the 3 following that....4 wins in the next 4 games to match the 14?

Can't see it, I'd love to be proved wrong though.

Lumsden has been in charge since Moore got punted,it's not as if he had no time to prepare for this season and the awful start to the season we had was ultimately down to him and his players,we always just seem to be about to 'turn the corner' without ever managing it and his record as Arbroath manager isn't good reading.We do have a lot of good players and should be doing a whole lot better but we ain't and that's down to the manager,he won't get his p45 yet and i hope we do eventually turn the corner soon with or without Lumsden starting with giving Cowdenbeath a doing on Saturday,that would be most enjoyable,but i ain't holding my breath.

He's no, but he's had a full 3 month to prepare.

That's still only one window, and he had to replace around a dozen players which can always be hit or miss (mainly miss in Lumsden's case). My worry would be, if we got rid of Lumsden, while it could be justified, the same thing is just going to happen with the next manager.

That's still only one window, and he had to replace around a dozen players which can always be hit or miss (mainly miss in Lumsden's case). My worry would be, if we got rid of Lumsden, while it could be justified, the same thing is just going to happen with the next manager.

The thing that works against Lumsden as well is the fact he was with Moore, so it doesn't really feel like we've had any change at all since last summer for a lot of people, including me.

But still, stick or twist? I'm still lingering, swaying towards twist, I'll be firmly on twist if things don't take a drastic up turn anytime soon.

If we get beat by Berwick we are in a lot of trouble, with QP and Clyde away to follow it.

priority for January must be getting Ramsay and Watsons loans extended and another striker. Not sure if we've released Joao yet but once we do that we'll have freed some wages up for a striker. I'd like to see Hester given a chance but I doubt that'll happen.

priority for January must be getting Ramsay and Watsons loans extended and another striker. Not sure if we've released Joao yet but once we do that we'll have freed some wages up for a striker. I'd like to see Hester given a chance but I doubt that'll happen.

cannot give Hester a go, not when we are struggling, get rid of Grehan, am almost 50 and I am more mobile than him, stick with Rutherford, possibly another Striker and a right-back, if we lose Watson, a centre-half as well

cannot give Hester a go, not when we are struggling, get rid of Grehan, am almost 50 and I am more mobile than him, stick with Rutherford, possibly another Striker and a right-back, if we lose Watson, a centre-half as well

why can't we give Hester a go?he more than held his own against Forfar.

Grehan gives us a good option and is a good player.

Love if when people look at a striker and say he's no use because he's not one of the quickest players on the park....

Grehan gives us a good option and is a good player.

Love if when people look at a striker and say he's no use because he's not one of the quickest players on the park....

Grehan has put in some excellent performances and is still an asset. He is not a goal poacher which is what we have been missing. Maybe Hester deserves a start, but how would you fit him in? Right now the front 2 have to be Linn plus 1. Edited by timlichtie