The Arbroath Thread

Since the start of January, Arbroath's record has been very impressive - out of the 14 games played we have won 4, drew 7 and lost only 3 games.

The improvements have been helped by a return to form by our long term players and the January signings - Banks, Dow, Hetherington - have fitted into the starting 11, along with having a stronger selection of players on the bench.

We are not over the line just yet (almost there) - but the players and management have produced the form and fighting spirit we had hoped for and we are very close to reaching safety.

We have 3 cup finals to play and hopefully we an secure our position before the final match of the season.

C'mon the 'broath.

15 minutes ago, clashcityrocker said:

Since the start of January, Arbroath's record has been very impressive - out of the 14 games played we have won 4, drew 7 and lost only 3 games.

The improvements have been helped by a return to form by our long term players and the January signings - Banks, Dow, Hetherington - have fitted into the starting 11, along with having a stronger selection of players on the bench.

We are not over the line just yet (almost there) - but the players and management have produced the form and fighting spirit we had hoped for and we are very close to reaching safety.

We have 3 cup finals to play and hopefully we an secure our position before the final match of the season.

C'mon the 'broath.

Don’t forget Balde he’s been a real find. Adarkwa and El Mhanni also contributed at the start but have fizzled out because of injuries and in El Mhanni case game time. 

If we stay up attacking players must be made the total priority. Our back 4 looks good to go again for another year and if Hetherington signs we will be strong in central midfield. 

Balde back in for Tait and the rest the same. I would expect a tight contest based on the previous 3 encounters this season. I think we’ve improved since the last match but Cove seem to have stalled. I don’t think either Yule or Virtanen are fit but could be mistaken.

I disagree regarding our back 4.  I think we need defensive cover, and we need to look at making Ricky Little a less frequently used player.  It might not be fashionable to say, but he's not as quick as he was, he's been caught out quite a few times this season, and he's made some rash challenges.  Much as we all love the guy, he's a player in decline, and we should be looking at bedding in a new cb alongside ToB.  Someone who can also cover the full back positions.

I must be missing something, I dont think I have seen anything in Little to say he is a player in decline. None whatsoever. That's not saying there isnt better CBs out there but cant see that being a priority in the summer, I think we will be looking at the top end of the pitch for sure.

He was well off it at the start of the season, and whenever he goes forward, he doesnt have the pace to get back in time like he used to, so it gives me the fear when I see him striding forward.  Accordingly, he makes more rash tackles.  Look at the Hamilton game where he was sent off.  It was never a sending off, but it happened because he was out of position and not quick enough.

I'm not saying he's a bad defender, he's still more than good enough for us next season, but I don't think he's the same player he was.

Furthermore, we are playing out the season with a midfielder at full back, and there were times earlier this season when we were playing 4 full backs across the pitch.  We clearly need another defender!

4 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

He was well off it at the start of the season, and whenever he goes forward, he doesnt have the pace to get back in time like he used to, so it gives me the fear when I see him striding forward.  Accordingly, he makes more rash tackles.  Look at the Hamilton game where he was sent off.  It was never a sending off, but it happened because he was out of position and not quick enough.

I'm not saying he's a bad defender, he's still more than good enough for us next season, but I don't think he's the same player he was.

Furthermore, we are playing out the season with a midfielder at full back, and there were times earlier this season when we were playing 4 full backs across the pitch.  We clearly need another defender!

Not for me. It happened because the ref was a wee fanny. Nothing to do with Ricky’s pace, saying he’s getting slower is a bizarre claim in my opinion. 

I must also say i think Ricky has been excellent the last few months, maybe had a wee dip earlier in the season but the whole team did. Getting players who can score goals must be our top priority. Our goals against column compares pretty well to the teams further up the league. I saw TOB making more missed rash challenges lately than Ricky.  

4 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Not for me. It happened because the ref was a wee fanny. Nothing to do with Ricky’s pace, saying he’s getting slower is a bizarre claim in my opinion. 

Saying he turned into a horse and carriage would be a bizarre claim.  Saying a 33 year old man is not as fast as a 23 year old man is a reasonable statement.  Saying we could do with any defensive cover at all is a sensible statement!

Ricky has been superb since the turn of the year IMO. Though this may sound biased I think him and TOB are the best CB pairing in the league and have been for a few years. I’d love to see Ricky get a a new long term deal just as TOB did 

I'm not saying he's been poor, but he has not been as good as he was.  Arguably, some of TOB's rash challenges have been because he was making up for Ricky Little being out of position.  Not poor, but not as good as he's been in the previous 2 seasons.  And yes, I'd happily see him get a new deal.

But we need to consider defensive cover and succession planning.  I didn't realise that it would be so controversial to suggest that we have one single extra defensive player in a squad, so that we have cover for suspensions and injury.

TOB made 2 rash challenges v Dundee that had nothing to do with Ricky's positioning (not having a go at him btw). 

I think we should just leave Exile to live in his own little world.

Edited by keptie