The Arbroath Thread

2 hours ago, SotesBornalichtie said:

I don't give a toss about other teams, whether they get promoted, relegated or go to the wall. All I want is for some improvement to make us an established, mid table Championship side. But I can't buy into this "let's aim for 3rd bottom of the league and maybe a little more" attitude before the start of a new season. Is that how the manager will motivate the team?

We have a core of players who have shown they are as good as many full time players at this level, we should build on that and aim for better.

Of course we all want the team to be better that's a given for any supporter of any team.

Glad you're not giving the motivational team talks, you were waving the white flag at the first sign of trouble.

3 hours ago, SotesBornalichtie said:

I don't give a toss about other teams, whether they get promoted, relegated or go to the wall. All I want is for some improvement to make us an established, mid table Championship side. But I can't buy into this "let's aim for 3rd bottom of the league and maybe a little more" attitude before the start of a new season. Is that how the manager will motivate the team?

We have a core of players who have shown they are as good as many full time players at this level, we should build on that and aim for better.

Which we will of course try and do….? 

However I don’t think that changes anything I’ve said, the teams that are established championship teams are the teams that don’t want to be. Your Inverness’ and Partick Thistles. Anyone else is fair game for the drop and they’ve all recently flirted with it and come close to it.

It’s the nature of this division. 8th and staying up is absolutely what the initial goal should be every season. 

Also agree with Kepties post above. A lot of people had thrown the towel in after we never won the ‘must win’ games every week… thank god they weren’t giving the team talks. 

I am just being realistic, sure Mike Caird would say the same himself if you were to ask him. Of course we would all prefer it to be much better

Edited by 1320Lichtie

Arbroath will be aiming to finish as high up the league as possible next season - absolutely no player, manager or board member would settle for anything less - and neither would most fans.

The players all give 100% and will have ambitions to reach the play offs - won’t always happen, but that will be the objective (same as every other team in the league - with perhaps greater expectations placed on the bigger teams).

9 hours ago, clashcityrocker said:

Arbroath will be aiming to finish as high up the league as possible next season - absolutely no player, manager or board member would settle for anything less - and neither would most fans.

The players all give 100% and will have ambitions to reach the play offs - won’t always happen, but that will be the objective (same as every other team in the league - with perhaps greater expectations placed on the bigger teams).

I don’t think you understand what I mean if you think I’m happily settling for 8th. I and every single person involved will agree with every single word you’re saying but like it or not at the end of the day the initial and main goal will be to stay in the division. After that’s achieved the goal posts can change. 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

THANK YOU 

With the season now finished TASC would like to say a few thank you’s

Firstly we would like to thank Fisher Tours for supplying the buses to transport supporters all over this country. We went as north as Inverness and as south as Greenock in comfort on Fisher Tours wonderful fleet of buses. Thank you to the Drivers as well for getting supporters to and from games safely.

We would also like to thank Carol and the Tutties staff for their hospitality throughout the season. Whether it was opening the pub early to keep the supporters warm before the bus arrived or by hosting the bingo night fundraiser and TASC awards, Carol has made sure TASC members of all ages have been looked after. 

Finally TASC would like to thank the incredible Lichtie supporters who used our buses this season. Whether you were 1 of the 188 members or a non member thank you for not only your support of TASC but your unwavering support of Arbroath FC through what was a difficult season. We transported over 1100 supporters of all ages to 21 Lichtie away games this season. Without the supporters there simply wouldn’t be a football club. 

We hope to see you all again for the 2023/24 season 🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

There's a difference between setting an objective and deciding what would make next season a success. Setting an objective of finishing 8th is not saying that we've had a successful season.

While part-time status offers the opportunity to sign players that others in the league will not, being the only part-time team in the league isn't simply a blank canvas to become a 'part-time XI' and just pluck the best players from the other teams.

Season 21-22 really spoiled us as a fan base and there's a growing sense that we have an almost divine right to be in the championship, as typified by the season just past with a growing vocal opposition to Dick Campbell.

Fact is, even established full-time sides can fall down and in our time since coming up we've seen Partick, Dunfermline, Queen of the South and potentially Hamilton go down.

40 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Heatherington to be released by Falkirk. I’d love to have him back. A good solid utility player 

Assume he’ll be looking for full-time football but would definitely take him if available to us.

35 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Assume he’ll be looking for full-time football but would definitely take him if available to us.

I’m not so sure, was at Alloa for years beforehand. I shouted at him to sign for next season when he was going up to bairns etc at end of Hamilton game and he said he would.

I realise that’s hardly a signed bit of paper but just throwing it out there 😂

7 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I’m not so sure, was at Alloa for years beforehand. I shouted at him to sign for next season when he was going up to bairns etc at end of Hamilton game and he said he would.

I realise that’s hardly a signed bit of paper but just throwing it out there 😂

As good as signed then 😆

Good to know though as I thought he did really well and has genuine ability in both midfield and defence, as opposed to being a square peg in a round hole as we’ve seen with other players.

8th will be the minimum expectation. dick will do his usual break it down to sections get to 30/40 points first normally means safety and then go on from there. Staying in the league in priority so that’s 8th once we’ve achieved the points that should be required move onto next phase mid table/ push for playoffs etc.

obviously the style needs to massively improve everyone will agree on that was eye bleeding this season 

Just watching the Annan v Clyde playoff game and I was impressed at how both teams tried to play passing football on the ground.

Obviously it’s at a lower level than us but there were hardly any aimless long balls or hoofs up the pitch to an isolated striker. Considering what’s at stake it was good to see.

4 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Heatherington to be released by Falkirk. I’d love to have him back. A good solid utility player 

McGlynn said when he left us in January that you lot had promised him a contract for next season so it made sense to let him go given we weren't going to be offering him anything.

8 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

McGlynn said when he left us in January that you lot had promised him a contract for next season so it made sense to let him go given we weren't going to be offering him anything.

6 and a half minutes in he talks about it. 

Sounds like Hetherington already has a long term contract agreed here 

5 minutes ago, mo83 said:

Heard something similar aswell would think Lochee if any of the two.

Before the Partick game I had heard he was away to retire but was hopeful that he would maybe change his mind after the way the season ended and if he was promised some more game time. 

The guy is genuinely probably the biggest club legend I’ll ever see in my lifetime. What a player and what a guy, the fact he’s a local laddie too makes it better for some reason. Hero 

Bobby is the best player Iv ever seen in an Arbroath shirt. The way he was treated this season was completely wrong. The fact Deri Corfe was brought on either for him when he started or before him is genuinely astonishing. Bobby showed against the Accies that he can still perform at this level. 

I don’t think I’ve ever been as pissed off at a managers decision as I was when I saw Bobbys number go up on the 58 minute mark and that dafty (no offence to him it was not his fault) Corfe standing on the touchline ready to come on for him.

The fact it happened multiple times and also at times when we needed a goal and Bobby had been by far our biggest threat was just absolutely infuriating. 

Crimes against football that and sums up where we were at from August to January last year