The Arbroath Thread

Delighted to take 3 points yesterday from a game that I suspect few of us expected to take anything. I was almost shouting at the television, waiting for full time to show and what a relief when it eventually did at 5 to 5.

If we can bring the same levels of commitment and performance against Dunfermline on Saturday I'd like to think that we should get a result.

14 minutes ago, timlichtie said:

He looked lively yesterday. The video is on FB , East Kilbride FC. He’s playing in a more attacking role than with us.

With McKennas injury, Balde would have us, being here

1 hour ago, SotesBornalichtie said:

Delighted to take 3 points yesterday from a game that I suspect few of us expected to take anything. I was almost shouting at the television, waiting for full time to show and what a relief when it eventually did at 5 to 5.

If we can bring the same levels of commitment and performance against Dunfermline on Saturday I'd like to think that we should get a result.

2nd half kicked off at 4.05 so that attributed to the late finish. 

Credit has to go to mcintyre for changing the formation, suits us much better. He’s also pushed gold further up with mckenna being injured and i think thats his best position, remember him playing that role when got promoted from league 1, he’s good at pressing and makes some good late runs into the box.

Highlights up on Caleys YouTube - 14 pass move from start to finish keeping the ball for an entire minute. Lovely 

Just home - so impressed with the work rate and effort - 14 players and everyone played a part. Norey must feel like a new man, Stowe getting on the park again and being trusted to play in a central position when we are sitting on a goal lead - excellent 

13 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Highlights up on Caleys YouTube - 14 pass move from start to finish keeping the ball for an entire minute. Lovely 

Just home - so impressed with the work rate and effort - 14 players and everyone played a part. Norey must feel like a new man, Stowe getting on the park again and being trusted to play in a central position when we are sitting on a goal lead - excellent 

I love that when we score the whole team celebrates together. 

Expect a few new signings in January (maybe also a loan player ) and the return of Balde - but I can't see any players being released as the fringe players have risen to the challenge in recent weeks - so maybe a few news signings to add to the existing squad to cover for injuries and competition for places.

Hylton maybe the only one to leave as he wants full time football.

6 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Same Norey who has to be shipped out in January and was one of the reasons we should have no more trialists ever?

11 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Same Norey who has to be shipped out in January and was one of the reasons we should have no more trialists ever?

Come on, have a day off from having a negative vibe.

6 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Aye, that kind of patient build up play is what fans like to see. Goal of the season so far for me.

1 hour ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Norey was very good on Saturday, suppose it’ll help when the team looks like it’s got a new lease of life about them. My point re Norey was that we had too many players in that position and he was probably 5th in the pecking order. Not having a go at the guy as a player. Only player I have completely written off was Jacobs and he actually also seems to have done a good job in recent weeks.

You know fine well what I meant when I talked about the trialists too but you can continue to keep banging on about it if you wish if it gives you satisfaction 

1 hour ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

Come on, have a day off from having a negative vibe.

Aye, that kind of patient build up play is what fans like to see. Goal of the season so far for me.

From the very start of the Morton game it was noticeable that our defence was looking to keep the ball more and find a players feet. Nothing silly but a lot more controlled than we’re used to seeing. 

12 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Norey was very good on Saturday, suppose it’ll help when the team looks like it’s got a new lease of life about them. My point re Norey was that we had too many players in that position and he was probably 5th in the pecking order. Not having a go at the guy as a player. Only player I have completely written off was Jacobs and he actually also seems to have done a good job in recent weeks.

You know fine well what I meant when I talked about the trialists too but you can continue to keep banging on about it if you wish if it gives you satisfaction 

Hylton and Bird have been very good signings and Norey as little as he has played has been excellent whenever he has featured.  If we had to bring in a large amount of trialists to get three signings of this quality then so be it.  I still to this day, do not get the big meltdown / negative reaction to it all. Albeit I must admit I don't really go to pre season games, by all account we had some shite playing who were all quite rightly sent packing.

25 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

Hylton and Bird have been very good signings and Norey as little as he has played has been excellent whenever he has featured.  If we had to bring in a large amount of trialists to get three signings of this quality then so be it.  I still to this day, do not get the big meltdown / negative reaction to it all. Albeit I must admit I don't really go to pre season games, by all account we had some shite playing who were all quite rightly sent packing.

Fairs fair! Completely understand that 

For me I felt like it was a farce last year and this year and had wondered who had watched most of them to think they were anywhere near worthwhile bringing up. Norey stuck out a mile.

I think I would be happy with us signing any player who had the career Hylton had without a trial and Bird was always going to at a minimum be decent considering the level he’d been playing at 

Not against trialists at all - we’ve always had trialists. Big difference in the way we done it this pre season and last season compared to season’s previous though, that is just my opinion

At the end of the day it is not really too much of a big deal

Edited by 1320Lichtie

As far as I can see, Jay Bird had scored 7 career goals in 5 seasons.  3 of those goals came in the "EFL trophy", one in the "southern league premier division central", 1 fa cup goal, and 2 national league goals.  

If he hadn't made a good impression on trial and we had signed him blind, this place would have exploded with calls to immediately release him.  As it happens, he did make a good impression on trial, and he's done well for us!

9 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

As far as I can see, Jay Bird had scored 7 career goals in 5 seasons.  3 of those goals came in the "EFL trophy", one in the "southern league premier division central", 1 fa cup goal, and 2 national league goals.  

If he hadn't made a good impression on trial and we had signed him blind, this place would have exploded with calls to immediately release him.  As it happens, he did make a good impression on trial, and he's done well for us!

He was playing for a team in the National League last year - the same league Wrexham won, you watch any of their games last year? Or any of the play off games. It’s a very good standard. 

This place never exploded when we signed a teenager completely unproven at league level from the Highland League and Inverurie Locos ffs so no sure why it would’ve exploded if we’d signed Jay Bird without a trial game 😵‍💫

Arguing with me over a nothing comment and something that is my opinion.

The majority on here thought that the pre season this year and last year was a shambles, I always defended it and Dick because at the end of the day it’s not that big a deal really. 

Edited by 1320Lichtie