The Arbroath Thread

The brief summary of today would be for the first 45 we were extremely poor for a variety of reasons, while the second 45 we were significently improved before holding on during the final 10 (what the f**k, Napier?! :blink:). A draw probably a fair result over the 90 minutes with both teams struggling for large parts of the game.

Personally I'm really happy with the second 45 and really happy with have something to build on. I thought our chances of winning today were extremely slim realistically. Four of our starting 11 were coming back into the starting 11 after being out injured and they're clearly going to be lacking match fitness. In the first 45 you could see all 4 of the guys who were coming back in post injury really struggling to get to grips with the pace of the game, understandably. I give players coming back from injury a fairly free pass for 2/3 weeks to get back up to full speed and I think Slater and ToB seemed to be back into the pace of things in the second half after both being a yard off it in the first half. The subs made a massive difference, with McIntosh really struggling first half, Norey struggling with the pace of the game throughout and Stowe just being completely ineffective.

Second half after the subs we became to come into the game a lot more and even created 3/4 relatively good chances as well as scoring from a corner after some of the worst set piece defensive positioning I've ever seen. Due to how heavy the pitch was and our lack of match fitness/ fitness in general we fell out the game towards the end but managed to see it out despite Craig Napier playing an amount of injury time that nearly saw me leaving East End Park in an ambulance.

All things considered, I'm also delighted we actually scored a goal and haven't just beaten our 2016 Todd Lumsden record of failing to score in 4 games in a row...

11 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

The brief summary of today would be for the first 45 we were extremely poor for a variety of reasons, while the second 45 we were significently improved before holding on during the final 10 (what the f**k, Napier?! :blink:). A draw probably a fair result over the 90 minutes with both teams struggling for large parts of the game.

Personally I'm really happy with the second 45 and really happy with have something to build on. I thought our chances of winning today were extremely slim realistically. Four of our starting 11 were coming back into the starting 11 after being out injured and they're clearly going to be lacking match fitness. In the first 45 you could see all 4 of the guys who were coming back in post injury really struggling to get to grips with the pace of the game, understandably. I give players coming back from injury a fairly free pass for 2/3 weeks to get back up to full speed and I think Slater and ToB seemed to be back into the pace of things in the second half after both being a yard off it in the first half. The subs made a massive difference, with McIntosh really struggling first half, Norey struggling with the pace of the game throughout and Stowe just being completely ineffective.

Second half after the subs we became to come into the game a lot more and even created 3/4 relatively good chances as well as scoring from a corner after some of the worst set piece defensive positioning I've ever seen. Due to how heavy the pitch was and our lack of match fitness/ fitness in general we fell out the game towards the end but managed to see it out despite Craig Napier playing an amount of injury time that nearly saw me leaving East End Park in an ambulance.

All things considered, I'm also delighted we actually scored a goal and haven't just beaten our 2016 Todd Lumsden record of failing to score in 4 games in a row...

Finally, someone that talks sense

22 minutes ago, Rosey1889 said:

How has Stowe done for you?

Always thought he was a tier 4 player at best, quite lazy and predictable. Was surprised when. He got such a big jump.

Clearly out of his depth at this level. Tries but clearly not enough ability to .ake it at this level.

A point in the right direction but I personally feel we were lucky to escape with a draw, 

Dunfermline had countless chances to win the game and could of been 2 up but O'halloran somehow missed when Boruc slipped,

Thought the 2nd half was better than the first but it seemed we set up not to get beat rather than win, the 3 In the midfield were all to similar, absolutely crying out ti get McKenna back,

For the life of me I don't understand why we took an absolute age at every goal kick, just asking for Napier to add on extra time,

Wasn't too Impressed with Boruc enough to understand why Adams wasn't kept in goals or why Gaston is on the bench,

Also can't believe how Chris Hamilton won every header in the 2nd half, yeh he it a good player and decent in the air buy Robinson had a decent height advantage,

Dunfermline were on a terrible run and it was a massive chance for us today with all the players returning to show the fans that there is still a glimmer of hope,

Though there was a very good support for a team rooted at bottom of league also, fans are up for the fight now its time for the team to show they are too

Boruc is a better keeper than Adams. Otherwise Adams wouldnt have been languishing in the 5/6th tiers of Scottish football all these years.

Other than his kicking at times he did a good job. Recovered well after that slip of nightmares and may even have slipped at some of his kicks as that pitch was horrific. Seen a few players slip and have dodgy kicks.

And Gaston is probably not fully fit hence why he was on the bench.

Edited by RedLichtie86

13 minutes ago, lichtiekev said:

If Gaston wasn't fit why would he be on bench instead of Adams,

Adams was also fine in the games he played 

Have heard he is injured. But with loan window about to shut he might be away.

Gats had saved us on so many occasions this season and deserves to be first pick if fit. Boruc made one bloomer I saw when kicking straight to Kane who very nearly scored. Nobody is perfect but Gats makes less mistakes imo. 

4 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

Come on Simon, I expect better of you. 😁 That was our 1st goal since the Raith game and 1st of 2024. In between we had 5 matches without finding the onion bag.

7 hours ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

Come on Simon, I expect better of you. 😁 That was our 1st goal since the Raith game and 1st of 2024. In between we had 5 matches without finding the onion bag.

How dare you question me! Do you know who I am!?!?!? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: 

.............You are of course correct! :) We equalled the dreaded Todd run from 2016 of 5 games without scoring, but didn't better it ;) 

image.png.984f2361dd8fa8155e42fed320364922.png

Good to see someone is paying attention and keeping me in check ;) 

Edited by SimonLichtie

10 hours ago, Blablabla said:

Would assume it will be part of the loan deal with Hibs that Boruc has to play first team football

A fairly primary school playground response to this, but what are they gonna do if we don't play him?! Make us?! :D

I expect the most likely situation is there are two wage percentages in his loan agreement. One that we pay if he plays for us, and one that we pay if he doesn't. Essentially the 'punishment' for not playing Boruc would be that we have to pay a higher percentage of his wage in the weeks we play games and he doesn't. Quite simply they cant make us play him, and if the manager thinks we have a better option in goal then he can, should and I expect will go with it.

There is of course also the bigger picture - if we take a player on loan, tell his parent club he's almost definitely gonna play, and then bench him quickly after his signing for no real reason, don't expect that club or manager to be loaning you players for a few years afterwards.... 

I'm happy enough with Boruc and have no issues with his performances so far. I don't think his kicking has particuarly cost us/ hampered us in any games despite it being an obvious weak spot for him and I think the other parts of his game seem to be at the required level.

23 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Have you guys given in to the inevitable yet? Or do you still believe the great escape is on?

10 points behind 5th with 39 points to play for. Far from over.

I’m sure that Jim McIntyre learned a lot about his squad yesterday. Playing one up front was getting us nowhere. Macintosh had a decent go but Robinson was ineffective in the second half. Bird must surely be injured. I would actually prefer to see Turan ahead of Robinson. McKinnon definitely improved our competitiveness in midfield and gave some good attacking guile. He should start. Teale looks like a real find.

1 hour ago, SimonLichtie said:

A fairly primary school playground response to this, but what are they gonna do if we don't play him?! Make us?! :D

I expect the most likely situation is there are two wage percentages in his loan agreement. One that we pay if he plays for us, and one that we pay if he doesn't. Essentially the 'punishment' for not playing Boruc would be that we have to pay a higher percentage of his wage in the weeks we play games and he doesn't. Quite simply they cant make us play him, and if the manager thinks we have a better option in goal then he can, should and I expect will go with it.

There is of course also the bigger picture - if we take a player on loan, tell his parent club he's almost definitely gonna play, and then bench him quickly after his signing for no real reason, don't expect that club or manager to be loaning you players for a few years afterwards.... 

I'm happy enough with Boruc and have no issues with his performances so far. I don't think his kicking has particuarly cost us/ hampered us in any games despite it being an obvious weak spot for him and I think the other parts of his game seem to be at the required level.

Heard a story years ago, that a premier league club forced a club to burn a subby, to get a loan player into the starting line up, after their player was named on the bench 

28 minutes ago, ecto said:

Heard a story years ago, that a premier league club forced a club to burn a subby, to get a loan player into the starting line up, after their player was named on the bench 

How did they force them though? It cant be implemented in the contract, so surely it'd come down to 'if you don't play him, we won't loan you other players/ will recall him in the window' type thing?