The Arbroath Thread

Very poor first half, then a disaster of a second goal,

After that Bird was thrown on and he was an absolute handful, we then went started to play like what has made us successful, 

Gaston was superb, Little who has had some ropey moments and just back from a serious injury headered away every thrown into the box, Slater had a good game and Lyon was good at left back,

It will be very hard to get out of the hole we are in, But hopefully we can start to put some decent performances together and get some points on the board and see where we come,

Hopefully get some more of the injured group back and get our best 11 on the park, That means Jay Bird starts up front every game, He is the only one that can have games and moments like that,

My god we deserved that tonight,

Absolutely glorious stuff - we were dead and buried but somehow became a different team after Bird's excellent first goal.

We've got 10 games to go and if the manager puts our best 11 on the park in those games I think we can make a real go of staying in this division - hopefully he's learnt a lot tonight and Tuesday and we see the fruits of that in the weeks to come :)

Fantastic second half effort - what a feeling! 
Very pleased for McIntosh, Bird and especially for Stowe given some have had their doubts. (I can see why but I think he’s got buckets of potential, big jump to get used to from the juniors) Reilly also a really good addition. Subs were terrific and gave the team so much fight. Love seeing McKenna back to doing what McKenna does best. Stewart is class. Ricky and Teale made mistakes but came up big when it mattered. I think Darren Lyon looks a quality player who I’d be after for next season too. Covering at LB but once Hammy is fit I would love to see him in the middle. He made 2 big tackles in the build up to the second and actually looks comfy on the ball. 

Two up top and having proper wide men on is definitely the way to go imo. Noticed wingers were playing on the sides they could get to byline and cross it rather than cut inside on stronger foot which definitely benefits us. We’ve struggled to grasp the midfield with 3 Cm’s all season so let’s get McKenna and another to run it ragged and have the spare man up top or giving the game width. 
Usually hate having a Saturday off from The football but I somehow think I’ll cope this week 🥳🥳

Finally a bit of luck. And some great performances.

We looked flat in the first half. Not able to link up the midfield and attackers and unable to stretch their defences.

Dow and Gold off (slight injuries) at HT with McKenna and Stowe on quickly lose another goal. All hope looks lost.

Bird on and then the goal...... whole team gets a lift. The spark of a comeback. From then on we looked hungry to attack. Stretch them, beat them, drive at them. Then Stowe whips in that cross that i was sure he would fluff. Thank f**k i was wrong as it was perfect. Keeper flaps, McIntosh nicks in front and a goal. WHAT A LIFT THAT GAVE US. You can see the Raith team crumble and ready to concede again.

Then some mad scrammble in the box. Ball back and forth and a wild shot that lands at Stowes feet. Surely he could not miss....... not a chance. Just seeing that ball go in and looking at the linesman praying the flag didnt go up, the dread i felt. Our luck has to change! GOAL!

OH. YA. FUCKER. This cant be real. You could see every player knowing what that meant. Just needed to see it out and that they did.

10 games to go. Everything still to play for. All we can do is get results against whats in front of us. We have nothing to lose. The other teams in front of us will be worried if we get closer to them and that will put more pressure on them.

10 big games. 30 points on offer. Lets see what we can do.

Quite some storylines tonight. Ricky plays a captains part - not textbook but always there. Teale plays like a decent young laddie not quite up to it - get TOB back soon.  Gaston at his magnificent best. Magic Charlie Reilly a bit invisible. Bird replaced useless Robinson and makes the difference. McIntosh looked class throughout and scored a good header. And redemption for Mark Stowe with a great assist and a goal (finally). 
Were still going down, but hopefully with a swagger. 

Nobody seen that coming after 50 mins. Whole team showed everyone they have a lot of fight, spirit and quality left to show so hopefully we can (at the very least) make a fight of this. Mcintosh, lyon were very good and bird proved why he should be in the team. Shout out to stowe too who many (including me) have been critical of popping up with a vital assist and goal.

Despite his mistake for the goal I thought Ricky was superb last night, back to his best. Hopefully Dow & Gold weren’t withdrawn due to injury. And finally I’d rather we had Tony Robinson up front than Kyle Robinson. 

44 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Despite his mistake for the goal I thought Ricky was superb last night, back to his best. Hopefully Dow & Gold weren’t withdrawn due to injury. And finally I’d rather we had Tony Robinson up front than Kyle Robinson. 

Think he is more of a right winger

1 hour ago, lichtie23 said:

McIntyre said post match that both the half time subs were enforced due to small injuries.

I really think we have to try our very best to keep Darren Lyon I love the guy. 

Gaston definitely worth trying to get another year too. 

Think Ricky will be off for his own personal reasons and travelling which is ashame and assuming all the ‘FT’ players will be away but next years squad regardless of league you’ve got to try and keep 

Gaston

Hamilton

ToB

Steele

Lyon

Gold

Slater

Stewart

Stowe

McKenna 

Murray

McIntosh

I am so torn over Ryan Dow. I kind of think he’d be a really good player in L1. 

Tremendous come back last night - if we’d held on v Inverness there’d only be 1 point in it 

Next week will more than likely be a defeat but the run of games after is decent. Hopefully get more players back up to full fitness for it 

Ricky is an absolute legend for this club. 11 seasons with total commitment. I hope people manage to go to his testimonial dinner as he deserves as much recognition as Bobby got. Great centre half partnerships with Hamilton in the League 2 winning season and then forming one of the best partnerships I've seen with TOB. Played every game in our League 1 winning campaign and definitely one of my all time favourite players.

1 minute ago, Hammerafc said:

Ricky is an absolute legend for this club. 11 seasons with total commitment. I hope people manage to go to his testimonial dinner as he deserves as much recognition as Bobby got. Great centre half partnerships with Hamilton in the League 2 winning season and then forming one of the best partnerships I've seen with TOB. Played every game in our League 1 winning campaign and definitely one of my all time favourite players.

Yep. I’ve been fairly critical of Little of late but thought he was excellent last night, their second goal aside.

1 minute ago, Tattie36 said:

Yep. I’ve been fairly critical of Little of late but thought he was excellent last night, their second goal aside.

If one player is guaranteed to suffer from dementia in later life due to heading a football is Ricky Little 

8 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

I was also impressed by Lyon. Could be the answer at RB. 

He’s just in the category of ‘a really good player to have around’

Can play in numerous positions and gives his absolute all. Very steady 

Lyon had his best performance in a maroon shirt last night. Has absolutely no left foot but managed to make it work and he was desperately unlucky at the 2nd Raith goal as he made a great effort to block the shot after Ricky's stumble.

Bird frustrates me. There's been more than a few games where he hasn't looked arsed then you see what he can do when he's in the mood like last night. Robinson frustrates me for different reasons.

Chuffed for Stowe - I think the jump to Championship has been too much for him but it's not for a lack of trying. Hopefully this will boost his confidence for the run-in.