The Arbroath Thread

11 minutes ago, relichtie said:

The AGM is in 2 weeks. Expect signings before that. 

Hopefully some in for the open training day

Maybe Ridgers has made a couple of "howlers" recently but for years now his record against us has been excellent.Would love to know how many goals against we have scored against him during the Championship years.

Repeat again securing a good experienced Goalkeeper as your no.1 well before pre-season training surely must be top of the Managers list and not to have one Goalkeeper signed up at this point is concerning imo..

I have never been a fan of bringing in a young inexperienced Goalkeeper on loan as our no.1 (i understand as an emergency loan signing but not as your main Goalkeeper)and i would ask any Red Lichtie supporter to state when this has ever been a success for us ever?

Hopefully i am panicking for no reason and JMc and the Club announce a Goalkeeper signing very soon. 

11 minutes ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

Maybe Ridgers has made a couple of "howlers" recently but for years now his record against us has been excellent.Would love to know how many goals against we have scored against him during the Championship years.

Repeat again securing a good experienced Goalkeeper as your no.1 well before pre-season training surely must be top of the Managers list and not to have one Goalkeeper signed up at this point is concerning imo..

I have never been a fan of bringing in a young inexperienced Goalkeeper on loan as our no.1 (i understand as an emergency loan signing but not as your main Goalkeeper)and i would ask any Red Lichtie supporter to state when this has ever been a success for us ever?

Hopefully i am panicking for no reason and JMc and the Club announce a Goalkeeper signing very soon. 

I mean there’ll need to be a goalkeeper signed before the first game on the 29th, it’s not like we will not get one. 

I have no issue over the age of a player, experienced or inexperienced we have had some duffers.

No real point speculating over a certain type of keeper anyway when we’ve no idea what we will get. 

But we will absolutely have one within the next 2 weeks ( I mean I think it’s safe to say that unless there are plans for a trialist to cover or David Gold to be number one ) so I wouldn’t get too concerned over it. 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

46 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I mean that’s still a long long drive. 2 and a half hours on google maps one way every day, 5 hour round trip… although I appreciate it is quarter past 5 when I am looking.

Aye, I can't see him in this division unless he's planning on moving. Be surprised if he does at this stage. 

10 minutes ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

I'm the opposite. The best goalkeepers at Palmerston in the last 20 or so years have been loans. We've been absolutely spoiled on that front: Jamie Macdonald, Cammy Bell, Zander Clark, Kev Dubrowski, Robbie McCrorie, Harry Stone. It's when we sign goalkeepers I get the fear. We've done just that this season and it's an awful piece of business. I'll be praying for a young loan signing by the end of August! 

17 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I mean there’ll need to be a goalkeeper signed before the first game on the 29th, it’s not like we will not get one. 

I have no issue over the age of a player, experienced or inexperienced we have had some duffers.

No real point speculating over a certain type of keeper anyway when we’ve no idea what we will get. 

But we will absolutely have one within the next 2 weeks ( I mean I think it’s safe to say that unless there are plans for a trialist to cover or David Gold to be number one ) so I wouldn’t get too concerned over it. 

Bring back Boruc

3 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I mean that’s still a long long drive. 2 and a half hours on google maps one way every day, 5 hour round trip… although I appreciate it is quarter past 5 when I am looking.

Well, yeah it's a bit of a drive but should only be something of a barrier if he goes PT.  Not really an issue if he stays FT.  I see that (although he's an Inverness boy) he's had spells with Hearts, East Fife, Airdrie, St Mirren, Kilmarnock and Partick over his career, so being away from home isn't necessarily a problem for him (he's even been to Orlando) - professional players know that travel is part of the game.  Will there be Championship FT sides willing to offer him a job this season, or will a L1 side offer him something within a "hybrid" FT/PT structure?

Edited by Otis Blue

4 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'm the opposite. The best goalkeepers at Palmerston in the last 20 or so years have been loans. We've been absolutely spoiled on that front: Jamie Macdonald, Cammy Bell, Zander Clark, Kev Dubrowski, Robbie McCrorie, Harry Stone.

And Sol Brynn who just might be the best of the lot to be fair.

17 hours ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

Do you honestly think we are not really trying to sign a goalkeeper (or 2). I'm sure there is lots of work going on behind the scenes. A Fair chance it will be someone YOU have never heard of.

If we sign the number 2 keeper first and people do not know whether he is going to be first or second choice and they freak out thinking he’s going to be our number 1 that’ll be really fun… 

So hopefully a clear number 1 is the first of the 2 😂

6 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

If we sign the number 2 keeper first and people do not know whether he is going to be first or second choice and they freak out thinking he’s going to be our number 1 that’ll be really fun…

Can't imagine any club being daft enough to do that tbf ... oh, wait ... 🫣

Was discussed on here the other week but first time I’ve noticed the Vics changing their badge.

Think the clubs done great work with the community trust, it’s like everything in the town is connected through the club now which obviously gives everyone associated with all the clubs and schools more of a link and tie in to the club and supporting the club. 

Youth, Amateurs and Junior teams in the maroon too. 

IMG_4538.png

IMG_4539.png

Edited by 1320Lichtie

Personally think the Vics rebrand looks tacky, not a fan at all. But at the end of the day they were a club on their arse so weren’t exactly in a position to say no to any changes that would go with funding.

Personally I don't like the rebrand to Arbroath FC Victoria if it means having to also change to a Maroon colour. Surely keeping a black and white colour would be more tasteful as its still representing the traditional colours of Arbroath Vics.

But hopefully this will be a good partnership between the clubs and the community at large. Could we perhaps see us signing some local talent to play for the Vics with the aim to introduce them to the first team in the future? 

Interesting times ahead

I understand the tie up, but even though I never went to a Vics game, and was never likely to go to a Vics game, I still think they should have kept their own identity and colours.  I agree that it looks tacky, and almost like a B team.

It seems that we have school activities, then all the youth teams, then the amateurs, and now a club in the pyramid, so there's a complete pathway from primary school to adulthood there.  Its a youth system by stealth!   Maybe in a few seasons, we'll see a couple of them sign for us?

Does this technically mean we have a B team in the pyramid?

I think the use of the same badge means it is easily identified as being a part of the same group and gives it a connection to the youth teams, amateur team, community trust and club as all use the same badge. 

Would love some more local players to come through even though it is a tough ask and no guarantees but it gives the youth in Arbroath something to aim for and that can't be a bad thing.

It's great to see the youth teams in similar kits and badges etc and gives them a connection to the club.

Edited by Hammerafc