The Arbroath Thread

1 hour ago, SotesBornalichtie said:

I missed the end of last season will probably miss most of this season due to family circumstances so I can't comment on how things have gone on the pitch. Badly obviously, but here we are at the start of a new season with virtually a new team who have only played a handful of games together and have limited time together on training evenings to get to know the way the manager wants the game to be played. Yet it seems that many supporters seem to think that we should run away with the league. Maybe too many play fantasy football on their phones and games consoles, but in the real world, to quote Jimmy Greaves, "it's a funny old game." No club, AFC included, have a right to be in the Championship or win every game they play. Not every club that has been relegated bounce straight back up, just have a look at the clubs that are in League 1.

Personally I think we will come good, the majority seem to think we have players good enough to compete in League 1. Every team has a bad patch during the season, best to have it at the start of the season rather than have a dip in form half way through. So I expect us to finish in the top four with the players and manager that we have although I won't be there to cheer them on

Hope your family circumstances sort themselves out somehow, so then you can watch us win the league 😉 

3 hours ago, SotesBornalichtie said:

I missed the end of last season will probably miss most of this season due to family circumstances so I can't comment on how things have gone on the pitch. Badly obviously, but here we are at the start of a new season with virtually a new team who have only played a handful of games together and have limited time together on training evenings to get to know the way the manager wants the game to be played. Yet it seems that many supporters seem to think that we should run away with the league. Maybe too many play fantasy football on their phones and games consoles, but in the real world, to quote Jimmy Greaves, "it's a funny old game." No club, AFC included, have a right to be in the Championship or win every game they play. Not every club that has been relegated bounce straight back up, just have a look at the clubs that are in League 1.

Personally I think we will come good, the majority seem to think we have players good enough to compete in League 1. Every team has a bad patch during the season, best to have it at the start of the season rather than have a dip in form half way through. So I expect us to finish in the top four with the players and manager that we have although I won't be there to cheer them on

Love it ⚽🇱🇻❤️💪 All the best with the family circumstances. See you at the Title Party 🏆🍺

6 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

😄 There was bound to be one exception!

I'm not saying managers never go to hospitality. Perhaps some do, perhaps some want to. Dick Campbell clearly did. I'm sure it was a lot easier to do after a win though. The idea that it is part of their job to go to hospitality after all games though seems to be asking for trouble to me. If a club wants to make that a thing though that's of course up to them. Presumably Arbroath haven't or he'd be doing it.

An exception to the rule ... that's always me tbf, never been one to conform!

Would it not be a way to sell more hospitality tickets though, by promising a post-match Q&A with the manager?  I get that it might not be popular with some managers (particularly after a defeat) but in the major top leagues I think it's more or less a defacto contractual requirement that the managers do post match interviews with the media, so its not wildly outside of the realms of possibility to ask them to do so.  We need to do all we can at our small clubs to sell the product (eg hospitality) and this might be a way to do so.  Surely that's a potential financial/budget benefit that the managers could appreciate also ... all about ways to bring more punters in and increase the revenue from games.

MEET HAMMY & JACK

We are delighted to announce that both Colin Hamilton and Jack Wilkie will be coming across to Tutties following the game with Kelty Hearts on Saturday after they’ve finished with their club/media duties to meet and mingle with supporters 🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

IMG_2935.jpeg

18 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I don't really understand, and this isn't a criticism of the club, but why is our "head of security" from Cove now a board member?  Again, not a criticism, it just seems a bit of an odd call. 

Jobs for the boys. Has been happening for years now nothing new.

3 hours ago, permalicht said:

Jobs for the boys. Has been happening for years now nothing new.

Think it might have to do with trying to comply with the SPFL club licensing awards.

They upped the requirements needed for this season.

On 15/08/2024 at 19:23, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

Away back to your Tree-hugging you Green Party activist f#d

On behalf of Lichtie Tree Huggers, we strongly object to the sentiment - a windbreak of trees might not be a bad idea around the seaward side of the ground as the only hope of moderating winds of increasing strength.  However, Gayfield might not have that long a lifespan - see what’s happening to the Montrose coastline.

on the subject of wind, not sure why every home Saturday windspeeds seem higher than other days.  Arbroath haven’t shown the ability to use this factor for years (probably due to training in cosseted, sheltered training complex sites inland - mind you Queens Park gave master classes in how to play the conditions the past 2 seasons).  McIntyre commented today on how the rebuilt team needed time to gel, which is undoubtedly true, but hoping this is not a preemptive excuse.   

Montrose is built on sand and despair, which is why its rightly falling into the sea.  Arbroath is built on rock, it'll be fine for a while yet. On that, I think we get less windy days than we used to.  We very rarely have those stupid games with waves over the stadium, players holding a finger on the ball and buckets of sand being deployed.  Maybe its just nostalgia, but I seem to remember it happening far more often back in the day.  Is it just nostalgia?

The Scott Fox game of a couple years ago was an all too rare flashback to the fun times.  It was also a game where Mikey McKenna demonstrated just how good he was in the wind.  He always knew how to play the conditions!

I actually think we have been relatively lucky with the wind in the last few years, quite often it has been windy all week then calmer on our home games. We used to know how to play the conditions but we're no better than visiting teams in dealing with the wind now. Anyway a win would helpful today, i've totally lost that winning feeling.