The Arbroath Thread

Just a thought, but will/should the club not already have a succession plan in place?  When even the apologists on here could see months ago which way this was all going to inevitably end, surely the board should have a shortlist in mind to speak to already?  With that in mind, assuming the board haven't been neglecting their job, I'd imagine that Gold/Hamilton won't be caretaking very long.  

13 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Just a thought, but will/should the club not already have a succession plan in place?  When even the apologists on here could see months ago which way this was all going to inevitably end, surely the board should have a shortlist in mind to speak to already?  With that in mind, assuming the board haven't been neglecting their job, I'd imagine that Gold/Hamilton won't be caretaking very long.  

Our succession plans usually consist of “Who does Paul Reid know?” And “Who will do it cheaper?”

15 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

You would have thought so but I wouldn’t be surprised if McIntyre’s disastrous tenure only became an issue once it became obvious that the fans weren’t blindly supporting the club no matter what.

I was absolutely astonished that there appeared to be no succession plan in place when Campbell was in his death throes. They seemed to be caught completely on the hop when he left, surely the board could see what the fans could?

Have to say I got it wrong regarding the manager. With not being able to attend matches. I didn’t realise just how bad things had gotten on the pitch. I hope that Hammy and Gold will get some stability and confidence back into the team and kickstart our season.

2 hours ago, lichtiemike said:

Our succession plans usually consist of “Who does Paul Reid know?” And “Who will do it cheaper?”

Still think Paul Reid and Mike Caird are the good guys here.

Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water here. 

Fan base seems to be split over Paul Reid spoke to many folk who don’t like him yes he’s brought in a lot of money but things haven’t been great since he got his feet under the table. Walking to the exit on Saturday good few people voicing there displeasure about him and I can agree why. 

spoke to a Dundee utd fan he said this is similar to what happened at utd don’t know the full details on what happened so can’t comment on that 

1 hour ago, DUAFC said:

Still think Paul Reid and Mike Caird are the good guys here.

Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water here. 

Absolutely no doubt Mike Caird is a good guy

I'm not going to get into the Paul Reid bashing, as I simply don't know enough.  I do think he's done an awful lot of good for the club though.  My issue has mainly been with the on pitch stuff.  Win games, and a lot of the other issues will resolve themselves.  

However, I do wonder if having fewer Arbroath fans on the board is going to become an issue in terms of connection between fans and club.  I don't necessarily expect people like the CEO and head of security to be lichties, they're there to do a job.  However, I do expect our board members to be fans.  I don't think that's unreasonable.  

54 minutes ago, ecto said:

Absolutely no doubt Mike Caird is a good guy

Without a doubt, a brilliant guy, who also has Paul Reid’s back and appointed him so that is good enough for me

From the outside looking in there have been a couple of things that have annoyed me, most noticeably the social media guy / death threats nonsense. I lost my head over that on here but that’s all done and dusted now and to be fair the social media output has been good this season can have no complaints 

But Paul Reid’s remit is to bring money into the club - he’s clearly doing a great job with that. What is happening on the football park and Dicks or Jim’s signings and tactics and results are nothing to do with him he feels like an easy scape goat. Nobody knows the ins and outs and yes some people have left and some things have changed, nobody likes change after all and the people moving on are never going to be happy about it. You cannot just assume that everything thats changed has changed for the worst, it will feel that way because of the on field slump

Clubs evolve and people move on - that is just life in any business and if we had a good team on the park winning games there is no way there’d be this level of scrutiny over it all 

If you compare it to 10 year ago everything off the park is now significantly better than what it was. Maybe it has come at the cost of losing a wee bit of the personality the club had before. Probably needs to be a way of finding a balance between the two

I think the next appointment is a big one, a good appointment and a good personality could really pull everyone back together again and get us up off our knees.

Just want to see a positive environment and vibe return to all things Arbroath FC because I am sick fed up of all the old wifey tales and gossip in regard to the goings on at Gayfield - got some good players at the club not just for this year but for next year too. Get the areas sorted out that need sorting and get a manager in the fans can get behind and start kicking on… please!

Edited by 1320Lichtie

43 minutes ago, Gayfield said:

Arbroath vs Montrose - Saturday 7th / Sunday 8th September - SPFL Trust Trophy 3rd Round

Happy with this. They didn’t look great a few weeks back 

24 minutes ago, relichtie said:

And we did?????

Apparently.

On 10/08/2024 at 18:04, RedLichtie86 said:

Folk acting like we lost 4/5 nil today. Just daft.

We were by far the better team today. Overall controlled play before and after the red card. Once they went down to 10 they just sat back and we found it hard to break down. 

More of an attacking threat in the first half playing into the wind but struggled with the wind the second half. Just couldnt adjust to the pace of the ball. 

At no point did I feel we were going to lose today. Just needed to play a bit smarter in the final third. Getting Gallagher up to match fitness and sharpness will make a big difference up top. He looked a tad sluggish with a number of bad touches.

Anyone know why segregation was in place for the Kelty game?

With the drop down into League One and the minimal away support that several teams will bring (approx 70 last Saturday I believe), I fully expected that the gates would be open and both sets of supporters would be able to stand where they wanted to and swap at half time etc. 

Update in the Courier - no timeline and a comprehensive search - also states that Gold and Hamilton may end up in consideration if they fancy it. 687 appearances between the 2 of them for us that is incredible. 

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/5063173/arbroath-manager-exclusive-potential-candidates-revealed/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Update in the Courier - no timeline and a comprehensive search - also states that Gold and Hamilton may end up in consideration if they fancy it. 687 appearances between the 2 of them for us that is incredible. 

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/5063173/arbroath-manager-exclusive-potential-candidates-revealed/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Interesting enough, bit clickbaity mind.