The Arbroath Thread

8 hours ago, TheRoundO said:

Did all of MacIntyre’s back room staff leave too?  Obviously the assistant, but what about the fitness coach and the goalkeeping coach?

It is a fair assumption that they also left. Think the fitness coach was talked out of retiring prior to joining us.

3 hours ago, RedLichtie86 said:

It is a fair assumption that they also left. Think the fitness coach was talked out of retiring prior to joining us.

It would be nice to think that the fitness coach and the goalie coach would stay on for a few weeks to help us out, but I suppose that's naive.

As an aside, I wouldn't be opposed to Darren Young.

Won 2 league titles with part-time clubs - I think that's about as 'proven' a guy we'll get.

I wonder if Gold and Hamilton will be given scope to bring players in before the deadline, even if on loan?

20 minutes ago, Lichtielegend said:

As an aside, I wouldn't be opposed to Darren Young.

Won 2 league titles with part-time clubs - I think that's about as 'proven' a guy we'll get.

I wonder if Gold and Hamilton will be given scope to bring players in before the deadline, even if on loan?

I think Young seems likeable enough and said elsewhere he’d definitely want to sort out that centre midfield 

Discussing the Gold / Hamilton thing yesterday too. It would be interesting because there is no timeline given on a new manager coming in and there’s only 6 weeks left where you’re allowed domestic loans.

You would basically be having the squad / senior figures going to the 2 of them to have their say on what the team needs - which is a really interesting prospect. 

1 hour ago, TheRoundO said:

It would be nice to think that the fitness coach and the goalie coach would stay on for a few weeks to help us out, but I suppose that's naive.

It doesn't have to be the case that the entire coaching staff leaves.  If I recall rightly, McIntyre arrived without a full coaching staff, so I'd hope their future wouldn't be tied to him.

Surprised Boyle was kept on or even stayed off his own back, sometimes when it's so bad your better just cutting all ties,

Gotta be Gold and Hammys decisions and team selection and tactics and you can guarantee they will get 100% backing from fans, can't have to many people having an input or being able to make decisions as that wouldn't work ar all, 

After having such a stable management and squad for years the last year or so has been a mess, its essential we get the next steps right to avoid further turmoil. Think the club are doing the right thing in taking the time to decide on our next manager and in the meantime hopefully goldie and hammy get the support they need and jumpstart our season.

39 minutes ago, lichtiekev said:

Surprised Boyle was kept on or even stayed off his own back, sometimes when it's so bad your better just cutting all ties,

Gotta be Gold and Hammys decisions and team selection and tactics and you can guarantee they will get 100% backing from fans, can't have to many people having an input or being able to make decisions as that wouldn't work ar all, 

At the same time it makes no sense to have Gold, who’s still playing, and Hamilton, who did his ACL a month ago, out on their own trying to run the team. 

2 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Young and Kevin Thomson are the only viable candidates I can think of. Can’t see Ian Murray being interested. 

We’re no getting anyone, who already works full time in football, think Thomson does, so Young cannot be the only viable candidate, surely to f**k

46 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

At the same time it makes no sense to have Gold, who’s still playing, and Hamilton, who did his ACL a month ago, out on their own trying to run the team. 

What's the alternative? Who's still there that can and would want to run the team. Hamilton being injured wouldn't make any difference to any team decisions he/they would have to make

Edited to add     Actually what is Exiled doing, just the man for the job 😉

Edited by keptie

1 hour ago, ecto said:

We’re no getting anyone, who already works full time in football, think Thomson does, so Young cannot be the only viable candidate, surely to f**k

I’d agree he can’t be the only one. What is it about Young you don’t fancy though? 

26 minutes ago, JoseMarooniho said:

I’d agree he can’t be the only one. What is it about Young you don’t fancy though? 

Had a mixed bag - couple of relegations - couple of title wins 

Winning 2 league titles, especially the one with that Albion Rovers team is really pretty impressive given his age. You’d have to imagine he built up a real team spirit and signed reasonably well on what would’ve been much smaller budgets 

I am not against the guy at all. I’m not really absolutely set on anyone either. It’s going to be a case of just the club meeting the guy, seeing what contacts he’s got, seeing what he’s like as a character and what his plans are for us as a club. 

Wouldn’t get too caught up on styles of play etc I feel like McIntyre sold us a lemon with that and obviously the club too. 

I could imagine him being the kind of guy to pull out a full power point presentation.  

9 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Winning 2 league titles, especially the one with that Albion Rovers team is really pretty impressive given his age. You’d have to imagine he built up a real team spirit and signed reasonably well on what would’ve been much smaller budgets 

I am not against the guy at all. I’m not really absolutely set on anyone either. It’s going to be a case of just the club meeting the guy, seeing what contacts he’s got, seeing what he’s like as a character and what his plans are for us as a club. 

Wouldn’t get too caught up on styles of play etc I feel like McIntyre sold us a lemon with that and obviously the club too. 

I could imagine him being the kind of guy to pull out a full power point presentation.  

We certainly got done over with Jim’s dynamic 4-4-2 pish talk. 

It’s hard to judge recruitment from the outside. Don’t know who’s applied, or hear directly from them. We generally can’t do the due diligence that people within the game can do. Other stuff…

14 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Did he win the league with Albion Rovers the year we absolutely went to shit after Christmas?