The Arbroath Thread

McConnell is signed till January permanently with his deal expiring around the same time hemphrey is due to return. I assume we then see what happens with hemphrey before extending the deal/ bringing in another backup till the end of the season.

Would be brilliant to make it through tonight and have a wee bit of a cup run on our hands as it’s been a while since we had one of them. Fully understand the apprehension over injuries though. 
Would play as close to the first XI as possible tonight - as much as I don’t want anyone injured, I’m not keen on a part time player not playing for 2 weeks especially when we may have a bit of momentum. 
Always tricky going to Alloa though and with all the injures and cup ties it does feel like a bit of a free hit

Teams pretty even so not all to disheartened. What bothered me most was the fact we had the majority of the ball but didn’t really test there keeper until the end. Slater or Wilkie the best for us IMO. Coulson very poor

3 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Teams pretty even so not all to disheartened. What bothered me most was the fact we had the majority of the ball but didn’t really test there keeper until the end. Slater or Wilkie the best for us IMO. Coulson very poor

Not sure if we were watching the same game I thought slater was brutal. Both wingers pretty poor and Stewart made a huge difference when he came on the right. McAdams distribution also poor

5 minutes ago, glasgowlichtie23 said:

Not sure if we were watching the same game I thought slater was brutal. Both wingers pretty poor and Stewart made a huge difference when he came on the right. McAdams distribution also poor

Disagree. If anything I’d have rated Goldy’s performance as brutal. 

11 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Young Kane Thomson had a good game against Quinn, I thought.

That was really poor, and for me the worst thing was that I dont think Alloa were any great shakes.  They looked vulnerable under pressure, and so I don't understand why we spent the first 20 minutes of each half treating them like they were peak Dundee United.  If we'd sat any further back, we would have been on the goal line.

We made a much better showing of the second part of each half, but you could definitely see we were missing a lot of our first team.  It just didnt work as a cohesive unit.  Coulson started brightly, but faded out, and for most of the match, Reilly did his best work dropping deep.  

I thought Slater had an exceptionally poor game.  Just didnt look at it at all.  Hes been with us for what, 2 and a half years now, and I don't even know where he is best playing.  You can see why he's nowhere near the first team.  I defended Callaghan, but nah, he was poor too.  Kudos to our set pieces too.  We had about 30 free kicks and corners, and found a man maybe three times.

All of that is understandable though, because it was a makeshift line up.  But sitting so deep was a poor tactical decision, and while we looked better towards the end when we brought on Dow, Stewart etc, I thought it looked like a total mess.  I don't think anyone had any idea where they were supposed to be, I think we just threw everyone on and up to run about a bit!

So aye, disappointing, but understandable.

6 players back for next week.

Think he talks so well, also would like to point out that the guy doing the interviews does a good job too. 

Obviously don’t want to get beat but not the same in the cup, relatively half arsed that we got beat, when it’s a league game it’ll ruin my night 

On to next week

14 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

That was really poor, and for me the worst thing was that I dont think Alloa were any great shakes.  They looked vulnerable under pressure, and so I don't understand why we spent the first 20 minutes of each half treating them like they were peak Dundee United.  If we'd sat any further back, we would have been on the goal line.

We made a much better showing of the second part of each half, but you could definitely see we were missing a lot of our first team.  It just didnt work as a cohesive unit.  Coulson started brightly, but faded out, and for most of the match, Reilly did his best work dropping deep.  

I thought Slater had an exceptionally poor game.  Just didnt look at it at all.  Hes been with us for what, 2 and a half years now, and I don't even know where he is best playing.  You can see why he's nowhere near the first team.  I defended Callaghan, but nah, he was poor too.  Kudos to our set pieces too.  We had about 30 free kicks and corners, and found a man maybe three times.

All of that is understandable though, because it was a makeshift line up.  But sitting so deep was a poor tactical decision, and while we looked better towards the end when we brought on Dow, Stewart etc, I thought it looked like a total mess.  I don't think anyone had any idea where they were supposed to be, I think we just threw everyone on and up to run about a bit!

So aye, disappointing, but understandable.

Agree with this completely tbh especially regarding slater and callaghan. Think we had 4 different players taking corners throughout the game. Absolutely missing the spark of creativity that spalding/taylor brings

39 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Disagree. If anything I’d have rated Goldy’s performance as brutal. 

Thought Gold was really poor,normally  a very good player. Slater probably your best player overall,but you lack quality up front and your full backs poor going forward 

3 minutes ago, Socceroony said:

Thought Gold was really poor,normally  a very good player. Slater probably your best player overall,but you lack quality up front and your full backs poor going forward 

That wasn’t a typical Goldy performance. Just an off day IMO.