The Arbroath Thread

LD was great technically, as a player and the impact he made individually on playing his part for us as a team he was just decent for me and no more. I think he was excellent for a decent spell though and it wasn’t in L1 it was when we were in the Championship.

The first season up I think and also around the time him and Bobby seemed to have a really good partnership and link up. Can think of 5 goals off the top of my head within 30 seconds, Alloa at home goal and assist for both himself and Bobby, Partick away, United away, Dunfermline at home 

Maybe a bit overrated and underrated at the same time depending on who you are. Guys definitely got bags of talent and would be shit hot at 5 a side but the discussion in here is the same one Alloa fans have been having on their thread too

Everyone watching him could see he was better with the ball to his feet, and was absolutely useless in the air.  So he was never going to work with our own particular style of tiki taka.  He seemed to always do well in the league cup games before doing nothing in the league.

I don't think he was a particularly good or important player for us, but he never hid, and he always gave us everything he had.  For that I think people (including me), have a lot of goodwill towards him.

22 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Alloa just didnt look that good!  They looked vulnerable under pressure and didn't do an awful lot.  

Not sure what you were expecting but we haven't been that good all season. We didn't replace the loan players who were so important to us last season until the very end of September and it's too early to know what kind of impact the new loans will make. Kurtis Roberts, who was a surprise revelation as last season progressed, is injured and badly missed, and other injuries have disrupted us too. Our two best performances by far were the cup wins against St Johnstone and Partick, but the league has been a bit of a struggle. The fact we've still only lost 1 from 9 is probably another good reflection on how poor the standard is this season (and that's our second clean sheet against Arbroath too). I'm reasonably hopeful that we'll get better but not a given. I'd expect Arbroath to be up challenging without doubt, the squad is decent for what isn't a good league. 

As for LD, he's always been a very talented footballer, it's just so hard to find a role where you can make the most of that talent and also work around the other more frustrating parts of his game. Easier said than done but Andy Graham clearly believes it can work. Great header on Friday night too. 

That seemed like another classic Quinn Coulson on Friday, a lot of running around with no impact on the game. Has he been doing better in other matches? 

1 hour ago, Waspie said:

Not sure what you were expecting but we haven't been that good all season. We didn't replace the loan players who were so important to us last season until the very end of September and it's too early to know what kind of impact the new loans will make. Kurtis Roberts, who was a surprise revelation as last season progressed, is injured and badly missed, and other injuries have disrupted us too. Our two best performances by far were the cup wins against St Johnstone and Partick, but the league has been a bit of a struggle. The fact we've still only lost 1 from 9 is probably another good reflection on how poor the standard is this season (and that's our second clean sheet against Arbroath too). I'm reasonably hopeful that we'll get better but not a given. I'd expect Arbroath to be up challenging without doubt, the squad is decent for what isn't a good league. 

As for LD, he's always been a very talented footballer, it's just so hard to find a role where you can make the most of that talent and also work around the other more frustrating parts of his game. Easier said than done but Andy Graham clearly believes it can work. Great header on Friday night too. 

That seemed like another classic Quinn Coulson on Friday, a lot of running around with no impact on the game. Has he been doing better in other matches? 

My comment about Alloa was more along the lines that they didn't look any better than us, and yet it was frustrating that we seemed to treat them like an SPL team at the start of the match, dropping really deep, letting them have the ball unchallenged, and relying on cautious counter attacks.  It was the same for the first 20 minutes of both halves.  

I think Coulson has shown a bit of spark that nobody else has, but he can just vanish out of games.  As LL says, he's been at his best coming off the bench.  I like him!  Its been a while since we had a proper sand dancer winger. I think that with Fraser Taylor on loan, it might help him push on a bit.

3 hours ago, Waspie said:

Coulson definitely had an impact on matches yeah. I said this when we signed him, that’s a thing that gets levelled at a lot of wingers at this level and it’s not unusual, guys in they positions making an impact is basically creating chances and scoring goals and that is not easy.

We were lucky to have someone that made an impact in every single game but even then Bobby didn’t really start doing that until he was in his early 30s.

Probably around 2018/19 season when he genuinely just became a joke every single time he got the ball, left foot and right foot, absolutely flying, pace to burn and end product. You’d see that in flashes before then but something really clicked for him and he was just a guy that was playing well below the level he should’ve been at. If he had been in his teens or early 20s playing like that he would’ve had some career at a really good level. We will never have a player like him at the club ever again that sticks around for 10 year. 

Coulson is a 20 year old (without checking) winger in L1 he’s going to be hot and cold but the guys got a lot of ability and been a really good signing for us. I think the one thing that could take him to the next level is working on his pace and stamina, maybe phone Bobby up and get some tips on these boxercise workouts he was doing (😂) because I feel like he’s a really clever player that could have a really good career.

In the Montrose cup game (and we all liked Coulson by this point) me and my mates were saying he was having an absolute stinker… then in the space of 2 minutes he showed some good feet cut inside and hit a shot off the inside of the post and then 45 seconds later he put in an amazing ball for Stewart to head in the goal that put us 2 up. 

Coulson been a good signing and looking forward to seeing how he progresses the next 2 year, same with Spalding, Wilkie and Bisland. It’s refreshing to have so much youth in the team, I think the 3 above too could go on to be really solid players especially Spalding. 

Just now, kenwood65 said:

Does anyone on this forum know why Sevco B never play the same week as all the other ties in the challenge cup , been happening for years , or is it just a SPFL/Sevco thing ?

Ground share issue maybe? 

That's good to hear. You could tell he had talent when he was with Alloa but his decision making and final ball tended to be very poor, he would run around to very little effect. He's done that in the two games we've played against you so far. Still looks like he needs to lift his head and see what's going on around him. Young Steven Buchanan for us is very much a work in progress but already we've had more out of him in terms of end product than we were getting from Quinn. 

Edited by Waspie

22 minutes ago, kenwood65 said:

Does anyone on this forum know why Sevco B never play the same week as all the other ties in the challenge cup , been happening for years , or is it just a SPFL/Sevco thing ?

Because they’ve got so many players on international duty I’m sure. 

36 minutes ago, glasgowlichtie23 said:

I thought bisland was good on friday night. Didn’t do much wrong and had a short stint playing up front for the last 10 minutes

Bisland was really good vs ICT I thought. Has all the physical attributes to make it, hopefully kicks on. 

3 hours ago, TheRoundO said:

Dylan Smith captain of Scotland U19 team today in Hungary. Fantastic for him - what a confidence boost. I hope he doesn't get injured. 

Really liked the look of him, not sure where/if he’ll play now that tob and watson are fit although the next tob injury never seems to be far away

2 hours ago, Lichtie78 said:

Bisland was really good vs ICT I thought. Has all the physical attributes to make it, hopefully kicks on. 

Think with him I’ve said on here and to you can tell he’s inexperienced as it was more his decision making and reading of the game that let him down but with games and time he could be really good

Wilkie kind of the opposite, he has always seemed very sensible and mature upstairs but maybe not as natural a footballer as Bisland seems to be 

Both got a lot going for them and again 2 good signings from McIntyre

Edited by 1320Lichtie

5 hours ago, kenwood65 said:

probably