The Arbroath Thread

18 minutes ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

Must admit i have never seen Big Rab have a bad game for the Red Lichties and he never conceded a goal.

A true Gayfield legend...............................

Surely a banker for the Hall of Fame next year,  but joking apart we could do with at least one more defender

Must admit i have never seen Big Rab have a bad game for the Red Lichties and he never conceded a goal.
A true Gayfield legend...............................

Never conceded a goal, Tap Boi

Tbf I can't really remember Paddy taking abuse, can't really think of too many people that have been shouted at from the terraces over the years apart from Lumsden but there was a real bad feel about the place last year.

The guys playing for us do get paid aye, but it's not much, they're playing mainly for their love of the game and they put a whole load of their own time in to travel, train and play on a Saturday. So no matter how pissed off I get at what's happening on the park I remember that, guys are doing their best so back them.

Glad we have a great group of guys this year, players and personalities.

Still no confirmation of McCallum, tomorrow?

2 hours ago, Smokie_Bacon_crisps said:
I'm pretty sure that Dick said several weeks ago that Jimmy, when fit would be his 2nd choice striker, not main striker.

Our fans always seem to love to have a fall guy. Regardless of facts.  Mutch was 17 and played his competitive game and won MOTM against United, then we lost to ICT and Dunfermline and regardless of a mistake, no keeper would have prevented us from defeats from those teams.

Any other team would be delighted we had a young keeper who got called up to the Scotland U18s then U21s a pretty good achievement.

He played in 7.5 league games in which we lost one game! including a 0-0 draw, and a game when we were reduced down to 10 men.  He also claimed a clean sheet away to the highest scoring team in Scotland, Elgin City. 

Our current defensive line up of Gold, Little, Hamilton and Sukar never played together as a unit when Mutch was in goal and also David Gold's run at right back started the very next game after See elbowed him in the throat.

Cut the lad some slack and get behind the whole team.

Totally agree with the above, young Mutch is a young good goalkeeper with great potential and having a go at him is totally out of order...................what i would follow up though is a team going for the league should not have been left in a position playing with a young untried goalkeeper at the start of the season so if there was any blame for our "slowish" start then the blame lies at DC's door imo.

Think in the main the recruitment of players has been fairly logical this season, certainly hasn't been a scatter gun approach. Mistakes have been made, Mutch was far too young and inexperienced and made way too many basic errors although I take the point he wasn't playing in front of settled back 4, you could also argue that he unsettled the defence with how poor he was.

The young Centre back from Inverness an obvious mistake. Thomson, Callaghan, Dunlop and Phillips were always going to be signed as back up and I suppose you are hoping at least one of them excels and gets a run in the team, Malin seems to have taken his opportunities when he's had them and could still play a pivotal role in weeks to come.

These fringe players look to have been replaced with guys who wont be happy being on the fringes and will push for a starting place which is healthy for competition and keeps everyone on their toes. Hodge, Ferns and McCallum look like they could all do a job. A defender and a back up GK this week should complete the squad.

4 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Cammy Gill has signed for you on loan, a promising keeper who was getting watched by bigger clubs and apparently has a big future in the game.

Have you had an injury to your keeper or something?

Big Rab left leaving us with no number 2, can't see Gill taking the place of Gomez as number 1

In case you haven't seen it McCallum is now confirmed at you lot. Hope he gets plenty of game time, because he badly needs it.

I'd take donnie mccallum for us on loan i think that would be a good singing, looks a player..seen him when he scored against us end of last season, good signing for that level.

that wasnt a dig at the young lad hope he does really well for AfC. my problem is with the total under20 development system total waste of time. bring back a reserve league where young pro's played with and against experianced pro's learned there trade and made the step up. its all well and good looking good at development level a but its a huge step up in level playing against men not boys.

that wasnt a dig at the young lad hope he does really well for AfC. my problem is with the total under20 development system total waste of time. bring back a reserve league where young pro's played with and against experianced pro's learned there trade and made the step up. its all well and good looking good at development level a but its a huge step up in level playing against men not boys.

Dumbarton don't have a big enough senior squad to field a reserve side with pros in it really, so he'd still be playing in an u20s side really

if he was that good why didnt he get more game time at his club.

Because we have a lot of competition in the forward position and he's not the best option. Physically he isn't really any different to when he burst on the scene as a 17 year old, and the lack of gametime has created a vicious circle that's stunted his development.

In a team that does more attacking than us I'd expect him to be decent, especially with his pace and movement.

Dumbarton don't have a big enough senior squad to field a reserve side with pros in it really, so he'd still be playing in an u20s side really

He would. But it would be AGAINST senior experienced pros. That would help immensely with the reality of competitive football.